Need SUggestion , Running really hot

hail

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I recently Built a rig with Asus P5WD2 Premium i975sx M/B . Running with INTEL EXTREME EDITION 965 3.75GHz Processor Dual Core.

The processor runs awesome only issue is that it runs really hot
Idle = 60c . LOAD = 70C avg. I m using INTEL Stocked HSF.

I think its the HSF and i need to upgrade it. Any recommendations with HSF that can take the Beat of EE processor ??? :!:

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Before buying a new HSF, try using some Arctic Sliver 5 thermal paste coz stock one is really crap most Intel heat issues are coz this. 8O

G

Yeah thats one hot cpu... yet it's not a 955, it should be a bit cooler IMO. The pre apllyed TIM really is'nt that bad. You could first try to reseat your Cooler, if the contact is not done properly, you might get 10-20 additional C.

Thermal paste wont help much more than reducing the temp by 3C or so but it might make better conatct if the Cooler does'nt seat perfectly on the CPU.

For other cooling, I have this install on a PentiumD 950 at work and it works really well, and it's much more silent than the stock fan.

Artic Cooling

The Zalman are quite good too, I have no first hand experience though. CNP-7700 or something like that could be a good choice.

hail

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I just placed an order for Arctic Sliver 5 thermal & CNPS9500 LED. Should be here tomorrow. Lets see if that makes a difference.

G

I'd expect a good 10c drop. But then again never had a CPu this hot :oops:

hail

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
i know its really weird. ive been using Intel processors for ever since i was born lol. Ive never had a CPU running his Hot. But I m not sure if EE are supposed to be this hot.

industriouscamel

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
My D820 runs about 60C Idle, with a case temp of 28C Full Load 73C. Im not sure what my ambients are. I know I've increased about 7C since summer.

This is with pretty decent air flow, two front intake fans, two exhaust. One upper exhaust and a side intake over the CPU. I also have an antec video card cooler that blows the cool air directly into the video card HSF.

I also found that wire management will drop your temps a few degrees C. I routed all power cables behind the motherboard pan.

I think its just the nature of the beast. BTW I have a generic mid-ATX tower.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
EE stands for extreme heat. Intel uses a thermal pad that will stick sometimes to the cpu. When you release the heatsink hold down. Make sure you and wiggle it side to side before lifting or you may pull your cpu loose from the scoket.

I would move to a Water Cooling system with that rig.

mag820

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
My D820 runs about 60C Idle, with a case temp of 28C Full Load 73C.
At that temperature there is a good chance that your CPU is throttling (slowing down) to stop further heating (I say this because I have the same CPU and has observed just that).

I recommend you to download ThrottleWatch and do some stress testing of your system (for example with S&M or Prime95). If you observe throttling, your heatsink is not performing properly and you should seek further advice (for example on this board).

Correct me if I'm wrong,
Mag

ExtremeOC

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Intel Pentium EE run very hot, and a good idea would be to get a better HSF for your processor. Intel stock fans are too loud, and they dont get the job done very well. it is better if you buy a better HSF, when you do you will notice the difference

hail

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Just replaced a Heatsink with ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED and used the stock Thermal Paste came with it.

My Temp are following.
Idle 59c
Load 75c while playing Quake 4

It didnt made a big difference in Temp. i am convinced that EE processors have some issues . Let me Post the Stats of my System. :cry:

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Yeah it hasn’t done anything to your temps. May be 130W is too big for it to handle. But I suggest you to apply new thermal paste and check the HSF to make sure it is making good contact with the top of the processor. You should apply some Arctic Silver thermal paste in between those 2 parts THEN reattach the HSF and make sure you clean the surfaces of the processor and HSF with pure (>90%) alcohol and a lint-free cloth) to remove the old TM.GL

8)

hail

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah it hasn’t done anything to your temps. May be 130W is too big for it to handle. But I suggest you to apply new thermal paste and check the HSF to make sure it is making good contact with the top of the processor. You should apply some Arctic Silver thermal paste in between those 2 parts THEN reattach the HSF and make sure you clean the surfaces of the processor and HSF with pure (>90%) alcohol and a lint-free cloth) to remove the old TM.GL

8)
I am supposed to recieve Arctic Silver 5 sometime today and this will be my next step. thank lolitha

pat

Expert
Just replaced a Heatsink with ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED and used the stock Thermal Paste came with it.

My Temp are following.
Idle 59c
Load 75c while playing Quake 4

It didnt made a big difference in Temp. i am convinced that EE processors have some issues . Let me Post the Stats of my System. :cry:

It's been a known fact that all Intel CPU produced after Northwood core and using netburst are not the best of the bunch, causing many overheating and throttling issue... Why do you believe that AMD got all that succes with their Athlon64 cpu? They were fast, not power hungry and cool. With Core2, thing should change, but there is no hope for your current cpu to ever run cool with air cooling. Go with liquid cooling at minimum if you want lower temperature, or let it cook at 75C. They are designed to be able to cope with that heatr.. And in worst case, it will throttle back to lower speed, so it will cool off itself. Sad part is that you'll loose performance out of that too.

Yes, even Anandtech finnally admit that fact...

But make no mistake, what you see before you is not the power hungry, poor performing, non-competitive garbage (sorry guys, it's the truth) that Intel has been shoving down our throats for the greater part of the past 5 years

It's within their Core2 review...

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006

8)
I am supposed to recieve Arctic Silver 5 sometime today and this will be my next step. thank lolitha

Sure 130 W is too big for air cooling i should think, as the other poster said go with the WC Good Luck 8)

G

Even though these CPu are hot, the 965 is MUCH better than the 955 heat wise. It's on 65nm and should no be this hot IMO.

What I think the problem is that the heatsink doesnt sit properly on the CPU. Now since both heat sink did'nt seam to do the job im a bit clueless as to why it would make a proper contact. I would take of the heat sink and the CPU and reseat the cpu. If it has even a slight angle and the heat sink make contact with only half the heatspreader, it wont help.

Artic silver wont be magic, only thing is that it might apply better than the one you had. You have to put a really thin layer. Zalman released a new product that is suppose to be amazing, Zalman look for the ZM-STG1 in optional product, why I'm posting it is because it's much easier to apply with this sort of nail polish finish. Finally im not positive it would be a good idea but you could polish your heatspreader and Heatsink so they make a perfect contact(polishing/removing the heat spreader will probly void your warranty so not the best solution).

Last point, what's you case? how's gthe air flow? you can ahve the best heatsink in the world, if hot air does'nt have anywhere to go than your CPU will get warm. make sure you have proper cable management and enough fan in your case.

hail

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
The Case is Large Tower and have 2 120 mm fans . Also the GFX card XFX Geforce 7900 GTX Super KO runs really cool at 49C while Idle and 60cwhile playing Games. The GFX Temp seems really good But its something wrong with CPU.

Maybe like you said Ill try to Re-Install the CPU in P5WDE-2 premium M/B. The Reason I spend #1200 on this cpu was bcuz of C1 revision and its supposed to be little better then Pentium 955 EE.