DC Connectivity

Good morning,

I just installed a DC last week in one of our remote locations--we have a
hub & spoke model frame relay network. Over the weekend, our frame relay
link to this location went down and it's still down. In scenarios like
this, how long can a link be down before serious damage is done? Are there
any actions that I'd need to take after the link comes back up?

Thanks,
Chris

I wouldn't worry other than replication isn't working between the two. You
have about 60 days before AD will have troubles, I believe it is longer in
2003.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216993

"C Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good morning,
>
> I just installed a DC last week in one of our remote locations--we have a
> hub & spoke model frame relay network. Over the weekend, our frame relay
> link to this location went down and it's still down. In scenarios like
> this, how long can a link be down before serious damage is done? Are there
> any actions that I'd need to take after the link comes back up?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

true.
the tombstone objects lifetime is the same in W2K3, 60 days.

Some info about AD Replication model:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techref/en-us/W2K3TR_repup_how.asp

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

"Paul Bergson" <pbergson_nospam@allete.com> wrote in message
>I wouldn't worry other than replication isn't working between the two. You
> have about 60 days before AD will have troubles, I believe it is longer in
> 2003.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216993
>

> --
>
> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> rights.
>

> "C Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I just installed a DC last week in one of our remote locations--we have a
>> hub & spoke model frame relay network. Over the weekend, our frame relay
>> link to this location went down and it's still down. In scenarios like
>> this, how long can a link be down before serious damage is done? Are
>> there
>> any actions that I'd need to take after the link comes back up?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris

Thanks Paul & Andrei.

"Andrei Ungureanu" <andreix at msn dot com> wrote in message
> true.
> the tombstone objects lifetime is the same in W2K3, 60 days.
>
> Some info about AD Replication model:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techref/en-us/W2K3TR_repup_how.asp

> --
> Andrei Ungureanu
> www.eventid.net
> Free Windows event logs reports
> http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/
>

> "Paul Bergson" <pbergson_nospam@allete.com> wrote in message
> >I wouldn't worry other than replication isn't working between the two.
You
> > have about 60 days before AD will have troubles, I believe it is longer
in
> > 2003.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216993
> >

> > --
> >
> > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> > rights.
> >

> > "C Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Good morning,
> >>
> >> I just installed a DC last week in one of our remote locations--we have
> >> hub & spoke model frame relay network. Over the weekend, our frame
relay
> >> link to this location went down and it's still down. In scenarios like
> >> this, how long can a link be down before serious damage is done? Are
> >> there
> >> any actions that I'd need to take after the link comes back up?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Chris

There is another problem IF you have implemented
AD Integrated DNS and Scavenging.

You will have significant (but not insurmountable)
problems if scavenging (of other DCs) occurs.

When you reconnect the network they will no longer
be able to find each other until you take (DNS repair)
steps.

Also note, tombstone lifetime is a VERY SERIOUS
issue - do not even approach the 60 days (or actual
setting) unless you are prepared for DCPromo'ing
the affected DCs.

Also note, any new users will need to be added to
the appropriate sites (or all sites) to be usable in
the meantime.

You should of course (already have) a GC at each
site.

--
Herb Martin

Thanks Herb.