Installing xp home over profesional

October 2, 2004 4:23:07 PM

Does anyone know if I can install XP Home edition over XP profesional
edition? What can I look out for?
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 4:45:04 PM

I have this pc that has xp pro on it, i have no cd or key number for this and
I think is not a valid key. But I do have my own copy of home edition so I
want to use that as its actually legal. It does look like a clean install
though. Shame.

"styler" wrote:

> Does anyone know if I can install XP Home edition over XP profesional
> edition? What can I look out for?
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 5:35:15 PM

Not as an upgrade. You would have to do a clean install of Pro. That would
wipe out your files and programs. Are you trying to solve a problem with
Pro? I suspect most users are going to say "what do you want to do that
for?" Home is a subset of Pro anyway, so perhaps you would prefer to fix
whatever is going on that you don't like with Pro rather than throw away the
more capable version of XP.

"styler" <styler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D B076EE8-7B60-4634-A5F8-85EE711CA1A0@microsoft.com...
> Does anyone know if I can install XP Home edition over XP profesional
> edition? What can I look out for?
October 2, 2004 5:44:26 PM

It occurs to me that you may have reversed the question. Did you mean to
ask if you could upgrade from Home to Pro? That works just fine.

But you cannot go from Pro to Home. The installer on the Home cd will stop
you.

"styler" <styler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D B076EE8-7B60-4634-A5F8-85EE711CA1A0@microsoft.com...
> Does anyone know if I can install XP Home edition over XP profesional
> edition? What can I look out for?
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 5:44:27 PM

I want to go from 'Pro' to 'Home'. I do have another partition with win2k on
it so I may upgrade that to 'home' and do it that way. Looks like a long
road tonight though :-)

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> It occurs to me that you may have reversed the question. Did you mean to
> ask if you could upgrade from Home to Pro? That works just fine.
>
> But you cannot go from Pro to Home. The installer on the Home cd will stop
> you.
>
> "styler" <styler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D B076EE8-7B60-4634-A5F8-85EE711CA1A0@microsoft.com...
> > Does anyone know if I can install XP Home edition over XP profesional
> > edition? What can I look out for?

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 7:00:23 PM

styler wrote:
> Does anyone know if I can install XP Home edition over XP profesional
> edition? What can I look out for?

Only two things you have to look out for - backups and installation media
for your other apps.

You have to format the system completely to install XP Home over XP
Professional.

--
<- Shenan ->
October 2, 2004 7:50:26 PM

styler wrote:
> Does anyone know if I can install XP Home edition over XP
> profesional
> edition? What can I look out for?

You cannot install WinXP Home over WinXP Pro.

The only way to change from WinXP Pro to WinXP Home is to
format the drive and start over. There is no supported downgrade path
or technique.

Simply boot from the WinXP Home installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as
part of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the
order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 12:32:43 AM

Hi

No you can't install XP Home over XP Pro. You will need to format the hard
drive/partition first. Please see the following article by Michael Stevens
on how to perform a 'Clean' install of XP:

"Clean Install Windows XP"

You will need to backup any valuable data files that you may want at a later
date beforehand.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"styler" <styler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D B076EE8-7B60-4634-A5F8-85EE711CA1A0@microsoft.com...
> Does anyone know if I can install XP Home edition over XP profesional
> edition? What can I look out for?
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 1:04:25 AM

Hi

You can't upgrade Win 2k to XP Home. W2k has to be upgraded to XP Pro:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/matri...

--

>I want to go from 'Pro' to 'Home'. I do have another partition with win2k
>on
> it so I may upgrade that to 'home' and do it that way. Looks like a long
> road tonight though :-)
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> It occurs to me that you may have reversed the question. Did you mean to
>> ask if you could upgrade from Home to Pro? That works just fine.
>>
>> But you cannot go from Pro to Home. The installer on the Home cd will
>> stop
>> you.
>>
>> "styler" <styler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D B076EE8-7B60-4634-A5F8-85EE711CA1A0@microsoft.com...
>> > Does anyone know if I can install XP Home edition over XP profesional
>> > edition? What can I look out for?

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 1:29:51 AM

styler <styler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have this pc that has xp pro on it, i have no cd or key number for this and
>I think is not a valid key. But I do have my own copy of home edition so I
>want to use that as its actually legal. It does look like a clean install
>though. Shame.

You can determine the product key that was used to install the XP Pro
with this free utility:

As others have said, you will have to do a reformat and clean
reinstall in order to go from XP Pro to XP Home.

Before you format the drive you can use the Files and Settings
Transfer Wizard in XP Pro to save your user data files and
configuration settings to another hard drive partition, a network
drive, or a removable backup device such as a CD Burner.

Then when you install XP Home you can run FASTW again to import the
saved information. Applications will have to be reinstalled and
passwords will not be retained, but otherwise it will make the job of
setting up the new computer much quicker and simpler.

Gary Woodruff has an excellent article on using FASTW at
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--