Security Template Problem

I am applying both file and registry permissions for an application
running on a Windows 2003 Server by using a template imported into a
Group Policy object. I now wish to return the registry settings to
those inplace prior to the linking of this new GPO. Can I achieve this
by simply unlinking the GPO and then waiting until the server settings
have updated?

What woould be the effect of simply deleting the GPO?

Regards

Gemel

If you delete or unlink the gpo all settings previous to the application of
this gpo should be re-established. That is the beauty of a gpo.

Paul Bergson wrote:

> If you delete or unlink the gpo all settings previous to the application of
> this gpo should be re-established. That is the beauty of a gpo.

Where exactly would those old settings be stored?? And can there be more than
1 set? If so, how would the system know which set to restore? Do they come
from the local security policy?

> --
>
> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> "gemel" <jonel@glenavon1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I am applying both file and registry permissions for an application
> > running on a Windows 2003 Server by using a template imported into a
> > Group Policy object. I now wish to return the registry settings to
> > those inplace prior to the linking of this new GPO. Can I achieve this
> > by simply unlinking the GPO and then waiting until the server settings
> > have updated?
> >
> > What woould be the effect of simply deleting the GPO?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Gemel

The old settings aren't stored anywhere. The gpo masks on top of the
current setting and isn't saved when the user logs off. I don't know the
inner workings of how it all takes place.

This white paper covers some detailed info with examples.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=354b9f45-8aa6-4775-9208-c681a7043292&displaylang=en

"Brandon McCombs" <bmccombs@ma.rr.com> wrote in message

> Paul Bergson wrote:
>
> > If you delete or unlink the gpo all settings previous to the application
of
> > this gpo should be re-established. That is the beauty of a gpo.
> >

> Where exactly would those old settings be stored?? And can there be more
than
> 1 set? If so, how would the system know which set to restore? Do they
come
> from the local security policy?
>

> > --
> >
> > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

rights.

> > "gemel" <jonel@glenavon1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > I am applying both file and registry permissions for an application
> > > running on a Windows 2003 Server by using a template imported into a
> > > Group Policy object. I now wish to return the registry settings to
> > > those inplace prior to the linking of this new GPO. Can I achieve this
> > > by simply unlinking the GPO and then waiting until the server settings
> > > have updated?
> > >
> > > What woould be the effect of simply deleting the GPO?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Gemel

That mechanism specifically doesn't apply to Win2k's security policy in
general and specifically for file and registry security settings going
forward. If you remove those settings from GP, they will remain on the
domain clients that those settings applied on.

You might be able to reconstruct what those permissions were by examining
%windir%\security\templates\setup security.inf. For DCs it's named DC
security.inf.

Any opinions or policies stated within are my own and do not necessarily
constitute those of my employer. Use of included script samples are subject
to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

"Paul Bergson" <pbergson_nospam@allete.com> wrote in message
> If you delete or unlink the gpo all settings previous to the application
> of
> this gpo should be re-established. That is the beauty of a gpo.
>

> --
>
> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> rights.
>

> "gemel" <jonel@glenavon1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I am applying both file and registry permissions for an application
>> running on a Windows 2003 Server by using a template imported into a
>> Group Policy object. I now wish to return the registry settings to
>> those inplace prior to the linking of this new GPO. Can I achieve this
>> by simply unlinking the GPO and then waiting until the server settings
>> have updated?
>>
>> What woould be the effect of simply deleting the GPO?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Gemel

Good point. Those are definitions set up and forced upon via user defined
settings.