Asterix with Lingo VOIP?

I've looked through the posts at my ISP and don't see a FAQ for this
group. There must be other newbies who've asked the same sort of thing.

Can I use Asterix to provide analog telephone service to multiple phones
in my home if I drop all POTS service and sign up with Lingo or Vonage?
I see on Lingo's site that they require their own specific routers for
their customers. Does that mean the "analog line" coming from there is
incompatible with Asterix?

My house is wired with lots of Cat5E (two to each room) in a homerun
scheme from the office where the cable modem and firewall are. These are
all brand new lines completely distinct from the old POTS wiring. I'd
like to set one line for ethernet and the other for analog phone service
from Asterix if I can use it (Asterix) with a VOIP provider.

Thanks,

Joe
6 answers Last reply
More about asterix lingo voip

    Joe <doogie@dev.null> wrote:
    > Can I use Asterix to provide analog telephone service to multiple phones
    > in my home if I drop all POTS service and sign up with Lingo or Vonage?
    > I see on Lingo's site that they require their own specific routers for
    > their customers. Does that mean the "analog line" coming from there is
    > incompatible with Asterix?

    Sometimes you can get lousy results with multiple conversions between
    digital and analog, especially when the phone call has been through a
    high-compression codec like Lingo is likely to use. For instance, sometimes
    I find that VoIP calls to/from digital cell phones are quite bad quality.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz wrote:
    > Joe <doogie@dev.null> wrote:
    >
    >>Can I use Asterix to provide analog telephone service to multiple phones
    >>in my home if I drop all POTS service and sign up with Lingo or Vonage?
    >>I see on Lingo's site that they require their own specific routers for
    >>their customers. Does that mean the "analog line" coming from there is
    >>incompatible with Asterix?
    >

    > Sometimes you can get lousy results with multiple conversions between
    > digital and analog, especially when the phone call has been through a
    > high-compression codec like Lingo is likely to use. For instance, sometimes
    > I find that VoIP calls to/from digital cell phones are quite bad quality.
    >
    > miguel

    Is it possible to do anything to improve the quality? It's not like
    boosting the signal on tv connections, but maybe there are different
    algorithms that preserve higher quality? How much, if any, of that would
    be under my control?

    Thanks,

    Joe

    >Can I use Asterix to provide analog telephone service to multiple phones
    >in my home if I drop all POTS service and sign up with Lingo or Vonage?

    Vonage and Lingo both want you to use their own equipment. Some other
    VoIP providers don't. Broadvoice specifically supports Asterisk and
    provides config instructions, iconnecthere and voicepulse say it's OK.

    Alright, for the real question. Has anyone with Lingo service and the
    D-Link ATA been able to unlock their unit? I've seen numerous postings
    regarding unlocking the D-Link but I want to get some people's first
    hand experience whether or not it can be done?

    I see Fry's has them for 50 bux (not including rebate).
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    "/dev/null/" <donfanning@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Alright, for the real question. Has anyone with Lingo service and the
    > D-Link ATA been able to unlock their unit? I've seen numerous postings
    > regarding unlocking the D-Link but I want to get some people's first
    > hand experience whether or not it can be done?
    >
    > I see Fry's has them for 50 bux (not including rebate).

    Locked? What kind of lock? It has to be keyboard programable to set it up
    for the service.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    Never mind. They work great once you unplug your network and
    reconfigure/reflash the firmware. Only took 4 hours to get it to talk
    to asterisk.

VPN Internet Service Providers Networking