generate a detailed list of account permissions

How can we generate a detailed list of the permissions directly assigned to,
and inherited to an individual account?

Hello, we have an application we received from one of our parter companies.
It assigned some selective permissions to a particular account. It was
supposed to provide a log of the permissions it assigned but we cannot
locate that log file.

I have tried lots of methods without success yet. Is there a Microsoft
tool? or can someone recommend a third party tool?
Thanks
-Tom

In XP or 2003

To view effective permissions on files and folders
To view effective permissions on files and folders, follow these steps: 1.
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click
Windows Explorer.
2. Locate the file or folder that you want to view effective
permissions for.
3. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click
the Security tab.
4. Click Advanced, and then click the Effective Permissions tab.
5. Click Select.
6. In the Name box, type the name of a user or group, and then click
OK. The check boxes that are selected indicate the effective permissions of
the user or group for that file or folder.
Notes: . The calculation does not use the following Security Identifiers
settings: . Anonymous Logon
. Authenticated Users
. Batch
. Creator Group
. Creator Owner
. Dialup
. Enterprise Domain Controllers
. Everyone
. Network
. Proxy
. Restricted
. Self
. Service
. System
. Terminal Server User
For example, a user tries to remotely access a file.
. The Effective Permissions tab contains information that is
calculated from the existing permissions entries. Therefore, the information
that appears on that page is read-only and does not support the change of a
user's permissions if you select or clear permission check boxes.

This was copied from;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418#5

"Tom Celica" <Tom@DontReply.net> wrote in message
> How can we generate a detailed list of the permissions directly assigned
to,
> and inherited to an individual account?
>
> Hello, we have an application we received from one of our parter
companies.
> It assigned some selective permissions to a particular account. It was
> supposed to provide a log of the permissions it assigned but we cannot
> locate that log file.
>
> I have tried lots of methods without success yet. Is there a Microsoft
> tool? or can someone recommend a third party tool?
> Thanks
> -Tom

Thanks for the Reply Paul, But I am looking not looking for privilages on a
specific object.

I want to know what permissions an account has... system wide

For example has a particular account been granted local administrator
privilages to any of my servers?

"Paul Bergson" <pbergson_nospam@allete.com> wrote in message
> In XP or 2003
>
> To view effective permissions on files and folders
> To view effective permissions on files and folders, follow these steps: 1.
> Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click
> Windows Explorer.
> 2. Locate the file or folder that you want to view effective
> permissions for.
> 3. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click
> the Security tab.
> 4. Click Advanced, and then click the Effective Permissions tab.
> 5. Click Select.
> 6. In the Name box, type the name of a user or group, and then click
> OK. The check boxes that are selected indicate the effective permissions
> of
> the user or group for that file or folder.
> Notes: . The calculation does not use the following Security Identifiers
> settings: . Anonymous Logon
> . Authenticated Users
> . Batch
> . Creator Group
> . Creator Owner
> . Dialup
> . Enterprise Domain Controllers
> . Everyone
> . Network
> . Proxy
> . Restricted
> . Self
> . Service
> . System
> . Terminal Server User
> For example, a user tries to remotely access a file.
> . The Effective Permissions tab contains information that is
> calculated from the existing permissions entries. Therefore, the
> information
> that appears on that page is read-only and does not support the change of
> user's permissions if you select or clear permission check boxes.
>

> This was copied from;
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418#5
>

> --
>
> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> rights.
>

> "Tom Celica" <Tom@DontReply.net> wrote in message
>> How can we generate a detailed list of the permissions directly assigned
> to,
>> and inherited to an individual account?
>>
>> Hello, we have an application we received from one of our parter
> companies.
>> It assigned some selective permissions to a particular account. It was
>> supposed to provide a log of the permissions it assigned but we cannot
>> locate that log file.
>>
>> I have tried lots of methods without success yet. Is there a Microsoft
>> tool? or can someone recommend a third party tool?
>> Thanks
>> -Tom

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Microsoft doesn't have anything such as
that available.

There is a third party tool. I was trying to find but I can't remember the
name.

> [...]
> >

> > This was copied from;
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418#5
> >

> > --
> >
> > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> > rights.
> >

> > "Tom Celica" <Tom@DontReply.net> wrote in message
> >> How can we generate a detailed list of the permissions directly
assigned
> > to,
> >> and inherited to an individual account?
> >>
> >> Hello, we have an application we received from one of our parter
> > companies.
> >> It assigned some selective permissions to a particular account. It was
> >> supposed to provide a log of the permissions it assigned but we cannot
> >> locate that log file.
> >>
> >> I have tried lots of methods without success yet. Is there a Microsoft
> >> tool? or can someone recommend a third party tool?

TRENDING THREADS