User Password Will Not ResetChange over VPN

Hello,

On our network, we use 3com VPN routers to access our Cisco PIX for VPN
access to our network. Everything works wonderful;

Except for users being able to change their password over the VPN. This
becomes essential for new users who must change their password for a new
account. Any help is appreciated in this regard, thank you.

-James

This probably has something to do with binding to port 636. LDAP
communications normally occur on port 389, but password activity occurs on a
secure port which has been setup on 636.

See if there is port is being blocked some how.

"JDennis187" <JDennis187@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> On our network, we use 3com VPN routers to access our Cisco PIX for VPN
> access to our network. Everything works wonderful;
>
> Except for users being able to change their password over the VPN. This
> becomes essential for new users who must change their password for a new
> account. Any help is appreciated in this regard, thank you.
>
> -James

Hey paul,

A port being blocked had been my thought to. Do you think the port would
more likely be on the cisco pix side or the 3com vpn side? Any other hints
would help greatly, im not a cisco guru.

"Paul Bergson" wrote:

> This probably has something to do with binding to port 636. LDAP
> communications normally occur on port 389, but password activity occurs on a
> secure port which has been setup on 636.
>
> See if there is port is being blocked some how.
>
> --
>
> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> "JDennis187" <JDennis187@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > On our network, we use 3com VPN routers to access our Cisco PIX for VPN
> > access to our network. Everything works wonderful;
> >
> > Except for users being able to change their password over the VPN. This
> > becomes essential for new users who must change their password for a new
> > account. Any help is appreciated in this regard, thank you.
> >
> > -James

There is a utility in the support tools d:\support\tools\setup that will
install to c:\program files\support tools\ldp.exe which can assist in trying
to track down bind issues to AD.

Connect and bind on 636 (Or try) using LDP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255602

This will tell you right away if it is port 636 you can also bind on 389 to
dbl check connectivity.

> Hey paul,
>
> A port being blocked had been my thought to. Do you think the port would
> more likely be on the cisco pix side or the 3com vpn side? Any other hints
> would help greatly, im not a cisco guru.
>
> "Paul Bergson" wrote:
>
> > This probably has something to do with binding to port 636. LDAP
> > communications normally occur on port 389, but password activity occurs
on a
> > secure port which has been setup on 636.
> >
> > See if there is port is being blocked some how.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

rights.

> > "JDennis187" <JDennis187@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > On our network, we use 3com VPN routers to access our Cisco PIX for
VPN
> > > access to our network. Everything works wonderful;
> > >
> > > Except for users being able to change their password over the VPN.
This
> > > becomes essential for new users who must change their password for a
new
> > > account. Any help is appreciated in this regard, thank you.
> > >
> > > -James

I would guess it is on the server (Receiving side).

"JDennis187" <JDennis187@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey paul,
>
> A port being blocked had been my thought to. Do you think the port would
> more likely be on the cisco pix side or the 3com vpn side? Any other hints
> would help greatly, im not a cisco guru.
>
> "Paul Bergson" wrote:
>
> > This probably has something to do with binding to port 636. LDAP
> > communications normally occur on port 389, but password activity occurs
on a
> > secure port which has been setup on 636.
> >
> > See if there is port is being blocked some how.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

rights.

> > "JDennis187" <JDennis187@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > On our network, we use 3com VPN routers to access our Cisco PIX for
VPN
> > > access to our network. Everything works wonderful;
> > >
> > > Except for users being able to change their password over the VPN.
This
> > > becomes essential for new users who must change their password for a
new
> > > account. Any help is appreciated in this regard, thank you.
> > >
> > > -James

Thank You Paul,

I will try to let you know my results.