Canon Pixma printers: ink cartridges, print-head cleaners ..

I've just bought a Canon Pixma iP3000 printer and would like advice ink
cartidges and print-head care. Considering costs for genuine Canon
cartridges vs. generic it seems to me that the latter would be more
cost effective - providing they don't ruin the printheads. And what
about the print-head cleaning cartridges I've seen advertised. Do they
work? If so, occasional use of these cleaning cartridges might make up
for whatever risks using generic cartridges might entail. Or so I have
been figuring. I'd appreciate advice from someone who has had
experience with these printers, e.g.:

1) What generic cartridges are considered of 'good quality'? Any
recommendations of websites or companies? Considering that the
printheads are not disposable, how likely is it that a good quality
generic cartridge will clog up the printheads?

2) Are there sources for genuine Canon cartridges which offer some
discount off of retail prices?

3) Re/ print head cleaning: I've seen fluids offered as well as
cartridges filled with cleaner/solvent. Do these things work? I'm
thinking that occasional preventative maintenence might be a good idea.

Thanks, Dorian

BURT

"Dorian" <DorianLS2@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just bought a Canon Pixma iP3000 printer and would like advice ink
> cartidges and print-head care. Considering costs for genuine Canon
> cartridges vs. generic it seems to me that the latter would be more
> cost effective - providing they don't ruin the printheads. And what
> about the print-head cleaning cartridges I've seen advertised. Do they
> work? If so, occasional use of these cleaning cartridges might make up
> for whatever risks using generic cartridges might entail. Or so I have
> been figuring. I'd appreciate advice from someone who has had
> experience with these printers, e.g.:

I think you have used the term "generic" inadvertently to describe
aftermarket inks. The generic inks which are sold as a "one ink to refill
all printer carts" are to be avoided. There are several good aftermarket
inks that are formulated specifically for Canon printers (and also many to
avoid.) Go down to the initial post by John Stovall and follow that thread
and all the links suggested. Others and I would only repeat what has
already been posted just a few threads down from this post. No need at this
point to buy cleaning carts. Just go onto the Neal Slade and Nifty-stuff
sites listed in one of my posts in the John Stovall thread and read all the
links. There is pretty complete info on those sites about refill inks,
carts, and maintenance and cleaning techniques. Ron Cohen and Taliesyn have
used Formulabs inks very successfully and I have used MIS inks - also
excellent quality. Most importantly, realize that Measekite, who will
undoubtedly post a message to you criticizing this message, has never done
business with any of these vendors or used their products. Please don't
take this suggestion to go down to the Stovall post as disinterest in
answering your questions - most of what you've asked was just covered there.
After you've checked that info out and read Slade and Nifty stuff links be
sure to come back for any help we can offer.

> 1) What generic cartridges are considered of 'good quality'? Any
> recommendations of websites or companies? Considering that the
> printheads are not disposable, how likely is it that a good quality
> generic cartridge will clog up the printheads?

Tony, a printer repair person who posts on this NG to help people with their
printer problems, gave us statistics a few days ago. The head clogs he sees
coming into his shop are pretty equally divided between OEM and aftermarket
inks. All inkjets can eventually experience head clogs - Epson more
frequently, and HP less so due to their carts that have the print head in
the cart and therefore gets changed each time you put in a new cart. The
good news is that nearly all head clogs are reversable and not fatal.
Slade and Nifty sites have excellent techniques for clearing clogs in
Canons. The Nifty-stuff forum is very friendly and, after you have read the
stuff on this NG plus those two sites you can ask any questions here on on
the Nifty forum.

Everything you need is at www.inkjetsaver.com

"Dorian" <DorianLS2@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just bought a Canon Pixma iP3000 printer and would like advice ink
> cartidges and print-head care. Considering costs for genuine Canon
> cartridges vs. generic it seems to me that the latter would be more
> cost effective - providing they don't ruin the printheads. And what
> about the print-head cleaning cartridges I've seen advertised. Do they
> work? If so, occasional use of these cleaning cartridges might make up
> for whatever risks using generic cartridges might entail. Or so I have
> been figuring. I'd appreciate advice from someone who has had
> experience with these printers, e.g.:
>
> 1) What generic cartridges are considered of 'good quality'? Any
> recommendations of websites or companies? Considering that the
> printheads are not disposable, how likely is it that a good quality
> generic cartridge will clog up the printheads?
>
> 2) Are there sources for genuine Canon cartridges which offer some
> discount off of retail prices?
>
> 3) Re/ print head cleaning: I've seen fluids offered as well as
> cartridges filled with cleaner/solvent. Do these things work? I'm
> thinking that occasional preventative maintenence might be a good idea.
>
> Thanks, Dorian

Hi Burt,

Thanks for the help. I did discover the thread started by John Stovall
and will follow the links offered there. Somehow I missed that thread
when I posted my own. And thanks also to the others who responded.
Dorian

Dorian wrote:

>I've just bought a Canon Pixma iP3000 printer and would like advice ink
>cartidges and print-head care. Considering costs for genuine Canon
>cartridges vs. generic it seems to me that the latter would be more
>cost effective - providing they don't ruin the printheads.

But you are taking the risk. If your print load is high then
investigate. If not then use OEM inks. They also say that you should
not leave the printer idle for too long. That amount of time remains
undefined. I have left mine unattended for 2 weeks and it is OK but
still it is rather new.

>And what
>about the print-head cleaning cartridges I've seen advertised. Do they
>work?

Using a Pixma for 8 months now and have never needed that.

>If so, occasional use of these cleaning cartridges might make up
>for whatever risks using generic cartridges might entail.

Also never used a cleaning cycle. I do use Canon OEM inks that are
designed for the print head.

>Or so I have
>been figuring. I'd appreciate advice from someone who has had
>experience with these printers, e.g.:
>
>1) What generic cartridges are considered of 'good quality'? Any
>recommendations of websites or companies?

Stay away from alotofthing aka alotofcrap. 88inkjets.com sells Sensinet
manufactured Formulabs ink loaded into a generic cartridge and labeled
with their store label. Prefilled carts are easier than the messy
refill your own and are still cost effective. Remember, if your print
load is not high I would stay with Canon carts.

>Considering that the
>printheads are not disposable, how likely is it that a good quality
>generic cartridge will clog up the printheads?
>
>2) Are there sources for genuine Canon cartridges which offer some
>discount off of retail prices?

Costco sells them for $9.00. They also sell Costco/Kirkland Glossy
Paper for $18.95 for 125 letter size sheets. The paper is almost as
good as (98% in my eye) as the best Canon Photo Paper Pro. I purchased
at Costco a Fiskars rotary paper cutter. Out of a sheet I can get
either 3 4x6 or 2 4x6 plus a 5x7. The cost is 1/7 that of Canon best.

>3) Re/ print head cleaning: I've seen fluids offered as well as
>cartridges filled with cleaner/solvent. Do these things work?

Like I said, after 8 months of light use, I have not had a problem.
More problems seem to happen when used infrequently than when used heavy.

Burt wrote:

>"Dorian" <DorianLS2@gmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>I've just bought a Canon Pixma iP3000 printer and would like advice ink
>>cartidges and print-head care. Considering costs for genuine Canon
>>cartridges vs. generic it seems to me that the latter would be more
>>cost effective - providing they don't ruin the printheads. And what
>>about the print-head cleaning cartridges I've seen advertised. Do they
>>work? If so, occasional use of these cleaning cartridges might make up
>>for whatever risks using generic cartridges might entail. Or so I have
>>been figuring. I'd appreciate advice from someone who has had
>>experience with these printers, e.g.:
>>

>I think you have used the term "generic" inadvertently to describe
>aftermarket inks. The generic inks which are sold as a "one ink to refill
>all printer carts" are to be avoided. There are several good aftermarket
>inks that are formulated specifically for Canon printers (and also many to
>avoid.)

Which ones do you avoid if the majority of vendors will not tell you who
made the ink they are selling?

> Go down to the initial post by John Stovall and follow that thread
>and all the links suggested. Others and I would only repeat what has
>already been posted just a few threads down from this post. No need at this
>point to buy cleaning carts. Just go onto the Neal Slade and Nifty-stuff
>sites listed in one of my posts in the John Stovall thread and read all the
>links. There is pretty complete info on those sites about refill inks,
>carts, and maintenance and cleaning techniques. Ron Cohen and Taliesyn have
>used Formulabs inks very successfully and I have used MIS inks - also
>excellent quality. Most importantly, realize that Measekite, who will
>undoubtedly post a message to you criticizing this message, has never done
>business with any of these vendors or used their products.

I never owned a Hugo either!

> Please don't
>take this suggestion to go down to the Stovall post as disinterest in
>answering your questions - most of what you've asked was just covered there.
>After you've checked that info out and read Slade and Nifty stuff links be
>sure to come back for any help we can offer.
>

>>1) What generic cartridges are considered of 'good quality'? Any
>>recommendations of websites or companies? Considering that the
>>printheads are not disposable, how likely is it that a good quality
>>generic cartridge will clog up the printheads?
>>

>Tony,

who makes money by selling aftermarket inks etc so you cannot believe him.

>a printer repair person who posts on this NG to help people with their
>printer problems, gave us statistics a few days ago. The head clogs he sees
>coming into his shop are pretty equally divided between OEM and aftermarket
>inks.

because he makes money selling aftermarket inks

>All inkjets can eventually experience head clogs - Epson more
>frequently, and HP less

I also have an HP printers. I never had a head clog in 10 years using
HP ink.

>so due to their carts that have the print head in
>the cart and therefore gets changed each time you put in a new cart. The
>good news is that nearly all head clogs are reversable and not fatal.
>Slade and Nifty sites have excellent techniques for clearing clogs in
>Canons. The Nifty-stuff forum is very friendly and, after you have read the
>stuff on this NG plus those two sites you can ask any questions here on on
>the Nifty forum.

BURT

Dorian - as predicted, Measekite chimed in with his perpetual rant against
third party inks. I repeat - he has never used them and does not speak from
experience. I have dealt with Alotofthings and they were good to do
business with. Ron Cohen has used their inks with no problems. He's got a
bug up his ass about them even though he has had no experience with them or
their products.

measekite wrote:

> I never owned a Hugo either!

Is that a Victor Hugo, by any chance? I understand first editions are
every valuable these days!

The car from Yugoslavia was called a ....

Yugo....

Art