Need suggestions (CPU, GFX, HD)

KevinChiu

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I'm planning to get a new PC this summer. Right now I have an LCD monitor, a DVD-RW, an IDE HD, and a KB/mouse at my hand, so I don't need to worry about these. However, there are a couple of questions I have in my mind and hopefully ppl here could share with me some thoughts.

1. Is now a good time for a Pentium 805D CPU?
I know AMD is going to have a major price cut at the end of the month. Will Intel have a price cut on 805/820/930 in place anytime soon? (or they have already done?)

2. SATA vs IDE
I've already had an IDE HD. I would like to know how much would I miss if I don't use SATA in the new PC? If it's not too much, I'd be happy to continue use my IDE HD and save 100 bucks.

3. Low-end PCI-e cards
Are there any good low-end PCI-e video cards out there? I maybe will play games like GTA:SA, AOE3, etc, will these cards (~$80) do? Also, I've seen this card is pretty good for its price XFX GeForce 6200, but it's an AG8X card. Is there a PCI-e version that's as good as this one?

Any input is appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I'm planning to get a new PC this summer. Right now I have an LCD monitor, a DVD-RW, an IDE HD, and a KB/mouse at my hand, so I don't need to worry about these. However, there are a couple of questions I have in my mind and hopefully ppl here could share with me some thoughts.

I know AMD is going to have a major price cut at the end of the month. Will Intel have a price cut on 805/820/930 in place anytime soon? (or they have already done?)

2. SATA vs IDE
I've already had an IDE HD. I would like to know how much would I miss if I don't use SATA in the new PC? If it's not too much, I'd be happy to continue use my IDE HD and save 100 bucks.

3. Low-end PCI-e cards
Are there any good low-end PCI-e video cards out there? I maybe will play games like GTA:SA, AOE3, etc, will these cards (~$80) do? Also, I've seen this card is pretty good for its price XFX GeForce 6200, but it's an AG8X card. Is there a PCI-e version that's as good as this one?

Regards,

Kevin

First of all, wait for Conroe. It's Intel's new processor coming out at the end of the month. I would get a SATA hd for your system and just put photos, music on your IDE hd. i wouldn't get an AGP card.

SATA drives provide a noticable increase in overall performance. If you don't want to spend the extra $100 now if your budget won't allow for it, that's fine, but DEFINITLY get one in the near future.

Don't bother with the 805. Spend a little bit more and get a 930 if you want to go the Intel route.

This all being said, here are my suggestions:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 930 <--- Price match this CPU at NCIX, with this page

Motherboard: Asus P5LD2 <---- Price match at NCIX, with this page

Video: eVGA Geforce 7300GT

Edit:
First of all, wait for Conroe. It's Intel's new processor coming out at the end of the month. I would get a SATA hd for your system and just put photos, music on your IDE hd. i wouldn't get an AGP card.

qwazzy..... this isn't going to be a gaming system. He doesn't need a Conroe chip. The only reason he would need to wait is because of the price cuts Intel is planning at the launch of Conroe.

KevinChiu

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
SATA drives provide a noticable increase in overall performance. If you don't want to spend the extra $100 now if your budget won't allow for it, that's fine, but DEFINITLY get one in the near future.
Yea, that's probably what I'll go for.

Don't bother with the 805. Spend a little bit more and get a 930 if you want to go the Intel route.
From what I see, there's still a considerably large price gap between the two.

qwazzy..... this isn't going to be a gaming system. He doesn't need a Conroe chip. The only reason he would need to wait is because of the price cuts Intel is planning at the launch of Conroe.
You're right. I don't think I'll go for a Conroe at this time. New stuff like this comes out with a huge profit margin in mind.

NewbieTechGod

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

2. SATA vs IDE

3. Low-end PCI-e cards

Regards,

Kevin

It's never a good time to buy Intel (ha- OK, let the flaming begin).

He could probably get a better price on a S939 CPU/MB. Yes, I know that No more new CPUs will be built on that socket, but they can still hold their own pretty good. And since this isn't going to be a gaming rig, this makes a lot of sense.

As to the hard drive: not one IDE drive out there has the throughput to overload the IDE bus. SATA is just as bad. Not even the famous Raptor drives can overload the IDE (or SATA) channels.

What you really need to look for is a drive with a large buffer (like 16MB). However, I don't think there are too many options in IDE and 16MB, so SATA might be it.

As for the video card question, you can look up what THG has to say, or go to www.maximumpc.com, then click the link for Best of the Best.

Go, Young Squire, and seek your answers.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
660GTs are nice budget PCIe cards

805 is a decent price considering it can oc quite well

SATA over IDE... although it not a huge prefromance diff....

Im thinking of your MB and a 955x or 945P chipset will do the trick