Error Joining Domain - Service Not Responding in Timely Fa..

Zergling

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002

I just built 8 new 2003 servers and I'm trying to put them into our AD
domain. I haven't tried all the servers, but on 3 so far, I get the
following message:

"The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "mydomainname":

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion."

Also, a computer object is created in the Computers OU. I tried deleting
the object and re-attempting the domain join, but I get the same result.

I can't find anything in the event logs that would indicate a problem.

Any ideas?

Zergling,

This sounds like a DNS problem. Make sure that the servers are able to ping
the domain by FQDN and by NetBIOS name. If not, then you might have a
problem with your DNS or your DNS search scope. Also, verify that these
servers can ping each of the domain level role holders -- specifically the
PDCe.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

Zergling wrote:

> I just built 8 new 2003 servers and I'm trying to put them into our AD
> domain. I haven't tried all the servers, but on 3 so far, I get the
> following message:
>
> "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "mydomainname":
>
> The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
> fashion."
>
> Also, a computer object is created in the Computers OU. I tried deleting
> the object and re-attempting the domain join, but I get the same result.

This is just a semantics issue but the Computers location in AD is *not* an
OU. This is evident by the simple fact that the icon is different than an icon
for an actual OU. Also, you can only link group policies to OUs, which is why
you have to move your machines out of the Computers folder if you want to link
various group policies to them, separate from the Domain Policy (which is of
course linked at the domain level). Computers is refered using the CN= syntax
in LDAP, not OU=.

> I can't find anything in the event logs that would indicate a problem.
>
> Any ideas?

Zergling

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002

"Brandon McCombs" wrote:

> This is just a semantics issue but the Computers location in AD is *not* an
> OU. This is evident by the simple fact that the icon is different than an icon
> for an actual OU. Also, you can only link group policies to OUs, which is why
> you have to move your machines out of the Computers folder if you want to link
> various group policies to them, separate from the Domain Policy (which is of
> course linked at the domain level). Computers is refered using the CN= syntax
> in LDAP, not OU=.

Thanks - I was actually aware of this and understand that I used the wrong
term. Your response didn't help my problem, though.

Zergling

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002

"Ryan Hanisco" wrote:

> Zergling,
>
> This sounds like a DNS problem. Make sure that the servers are able to ping
> the domain by FQDN and by NetBIOS name. If not, then you might have a
> problem with your DNS or your DNS search scope. Also, verify that these
> servers can ping each of the domain level role holders -- specifically the
> PDCe.

Looks like I did have some DNS issues, but I am now able to ping all DC's by
FQDN and NetBIOS name. I can also authenticate and map drives to the DC's
from the servers in question.

Thanks for the response, but I've now opened a call with MSS on this.