Windows Firewall & Remember Password

I have two questions. First, since I now have Windows Firewall, do I still
need to run the other firewall products that I ran prior to SP2?

Second, I have my browser configured to remember passwords, but it doesn't
work. Any ideas why this feature is not functioning properly?

Thanks,

Putty
7 answers Last reply
More about windows firewall remember password

    In news:DAF8D171-123F-4A6A-87DA-1C6EFF39B283@microsoft.com,
    Putty <Putty@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    >I have two questions. First, since I now have Windows Firewall,
    >do I
    > still need to run the other firewall products that I ran prior
    > to SP2?

    First, the Windows firewall was always available in Windows XP;
    what's new in SP2 is that it's turned on by default.

    Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Other firewalls
    monitor both incoming and outgoing. For that reason, it's better
    to run a third-party product instead of the Windows one. You
    don't need, and shouldn't run, two.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    That's not true...

    Windows XP SP2 has a new firewall...Windows Firewall. Prior to SP2, it was
    known as Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). The new firewall does monitor
    incoming and outgoing traffic

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

    As you can see, it asks when a program requests data from the internet if it
    doesn't recognize it. Windows Firewall is a suitable Firewall, but if you
    are concerned, a third-party firewall works just as well.

    Obi-Wan Kenobi

    In news:548031D8-E697-45E0-BBDF-12342018E045@microsoft.com,
    Obi-Wan Kenobi <ObiWanKenobi@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > That's not true...
    >
    > Windows XP SP2 has a new firewall...Windows Firewall. Prior to
    > SP2,
    > it was known as Internet Connection Firewall (ICF).

    The name is slightly different, but there are few differences,
    between the two. The SP2 version is more configurable.

    Regardless of the differences, the point I was making is that
    availability of a firewall in WIndows XP did not begin with SP2.

    > The new firewall
    > does monitor incoming and outgoing traffic

    Sorry, that's not correct. It's incoming only, same as before.

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

    That site makes it clear that it's essentially the same firewall.
    It begins by saying "Windows Firewall, previously known as
    Internet Connection Firewall." It were something entirely new, it
    wouldn't be "previously known" as anything.

    > As you can see, it asks when a program requests data from the
    > internet if it doesn't recognize it. Windows Firewall is a
    > suitable
    > Firewall, but if you are concerned, a third-party firewall
    > works just
    > as well.

    Windows Firewall is adequate, but almost all the third-party ones
    are *better*, for the reason I pointed out.

    Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
    > The new firewall
    > does monitor incoming and outgoing traffic

    No, it doesn't, nor does any Microsoft web site state that it does.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Obi-Wan Kenobi" <ObiWanKenobi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > That's not true...
    >
    > Windows XP SP2 has a new firewall...Windows Firewall. Prior to SP2, it
    > was
    > known as Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). The new firewall does
    > monitor
    > incoming and outgoing traffic
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx
    >
    > As you can see, it asks when a program requests data from the internet if
    > it
    > doesn't recognize it. Windows Firewall is a suitable Firewall, but if you
    > are concerned, a third-party firewall works just as well.
    >
    > Obi-Wan Kenobi
    >
    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:DAF8D171-123F-4A6A-87DA-1C6EFF39B283@microsoft.com,
    >> Putty <Putty@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >> >I have two questions. First, since I now have Windows Firewall,
    >> >do I
    >> > still need to run the other firewall products that I ran prior
    >> > to SP2?
    >>

    >> First, the Windows firewall was always available in Windows XP;
    >> what's new in SP2 is that it's turned on by default.
    >>
    >> Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Other firewalls
    >> monitor both incoming and outgoing. For that reason, it's better
    >> to run a third-party product instead of the Windows one. You
    >> don't need, and shouldn't run, two.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hi

    Where does it say in that article that the XP Firewall is '2-way'?

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Obi-Wan Kenobi" <ObiWanKenobi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > That's not true...
    >
    > Windows XP SP2 has a new firewall...Windows Firewall. Prior to SP2, it
    > was
    > known as Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). The new firewall does
    > monitor
    > incoming and outgoing traffic
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx
    >
    > As you can see, it asks when a program requests data from the internet if
    > it
    > doesn't recognize it. Windows Firewall is a suitable Firewall, but if you
    > are concerned, a third-party firewall works just as well.
    >
    > Obi-Wan Kenobi
    >
    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:DAF8D171-123F-4A6A-87DA-1C6EFF39B283@microsoft.com,
    >> Putty <Putty@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >> >I have two questions. First, since I now have Windows Firewall,
    >> >do I
    >> > still need to run the other firewall products that I ran prior
    >> > to SP2?
    >>

    >> First, the Windows firewall was always available in Windows XP;
    >> what's new in SP2 is that it's turned on by default.
    >>
    >> Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Other firewalls
    >> monitor both incoming and outgoing. For that reason, it's better
    >> to run a third-party product instead of the Windows one. You
    >> don't need, and shouldn't run, two.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    As you can see, it only 'blocks a program from *accepting* connections from
    the internet or other network'.
    It does not talk about 'blocking a program from *setting up* connections to
    the internet or other network'.
    Could this by any chance possibly mean that you might have (unknowingly)
    something running (like a dialer, or whatever) that sets up an outbound
    connection from your system to some other system on the net, without you
    being aware of it.......
    Hmmmmm

    "Obi-Wan Kenobi" <ObiWanKenobi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > That's not true...
    >
    > Windows XP SP2 has a new firewall...Windows Firewall. Prior to SP2, it
    > was
    > known as Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). The new firewall does
    > monitor
    > incoming and outgoing traffic
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx
    >
    > As you can see, it asks when a program requests data from the internet if
    > it
    > doesn't recognize it. Windows Firewall is a suitable Firewall, but if you
    > are concerned, a third-party firewall works just as well.
    >
    > Obi-Wan Kenobi
    >
    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:DAF8D171-123F-4A6A-87DA-1C6EFF39B283@microsoft.com,
    >> Putty <Putty@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >> >I have two questions. First, since I now have Windows Firewall,
    >> >do I
    >> > still need to run the other firewall products that I ran prior
    >> > to SP2?
    >>

    >> First, the Windows firewall was always available in Windows XP;
    >> what's new in SP2 is that it's turned on by default.
    >>
    >> Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Other firewalls
    >> monitor both incoming and outgoing. For that reason, it's better
    >> to run a third-party product instead of the Windows one. You
    >> don't need, and shouldn't run, two.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP