Whats the best soundcard for watching movies?

rippaman77

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I play games but not as much anymore..... I'm looking for a card that can provide clear, crisp sound for music and movies. Mostly movies.... The first thing I did once I got my auzentech mystique was listen to the new spiderman 3 trailer. Keep in mind that my speakers are the logitech x530s. After realizing that my new card was geared specially towards digital speakers I couldn't live with the thought of having a second rate sound card for my analog speakers. I'm now looking for a card that would allow me to take advantage of my speakers. ..... and serve as great producers of movie and musics sounds. What are the recommendations? Thanks

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
theres no such thing as digital speakers. u mean ur mystique was made to be used with a digital connection to a stereo receiver /amplifier/

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Unless you plan on editing/recording digital audio just buy a good gaming card. Try a turtle beach, m-audio, or creative card. You probably don't need a top of the line gaming card like the x-fi as it really just adds 3d performance (though it does have good signal to noise).

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Logitech, Creative, what else...? they are just a normal speaker since centuries... :lol: the amplifier inside are different...

There are so many sound cards exists, but now it depend on your ears. Can you make a different between 128 Kbps MP3 and 320 Kbps MP3 ?
Can you make a different between 48 Khz DVD audio and 96 Khz ?
Can you make a different between 16 bit audio and 24 bit audio ?

Honestly I CAN'T 8O
But if you can, good for you !!!

You can go for a well-known branch of soundcard like Creative or Voyetra.

rippaman77

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'm a novice when it comes to computer audio, as you can tell. With that said.... I would appreciate some help on this unclear topic. Correct me if I'm wrong but..... My x-530 speakers doesn't have built-in hardware decoding for Dolby Digital. Unlike the logitech z-5500 speakers. Now I would imagine that speakers sound alot better when u have a soundcard that (again I might be incorrect in my terminology) produces ddl sound and runs with speakers that have proper decoding. Since the logitech z-5500 speakers have built in decoding I'm guessing that u can buy a device that isn't built in to the speakers (operates like a hub) that allows decoding. This again may seem like simple information but for me it has been difficult understanding all these terminologies. Can u please comment on my amateur like analogy of the whole pc sound category.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Logitech, Creative, what else...? they are just a normal speaker since centuries... :lol: the amplifier inside are different...

There are so many sound cards exists, but now it depend on your ears. Can you make a different between 128 Kbps MP3 and 320 Kbps MP3 ?

Honestly I CAN'T 8O

Just out of curiosity, have you actually done these tests, or are you just saying you believe there will be no difference if you tried?

halcyon

Splendid

Honestly I CAN'T 8O

Just out of curiosity, have you actually done these tests, or are you just saying you believe there will be no difference if you tried?

Point seen and taken. Amen, as always.

IMHO an M-Audio Revolution or any contemporary Creative-based card is a descent prescription. In fact, take one Revolution 5.1 with water and call us in the morning. :wink:

All stupidness aside. Many of the contemporary cards offer the flavors of Dolby, etc. that will give you a very pleasing movie experience. ...and the price of admission is not a $115 Creative SB X-Fi, IMO.

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
The logitechs you mentioned are under £50. An entry-level hi-fi stereo amp and speakers would cost about £600-£700 in total. I've no idea how much more you'd pay for similar quality surround sound boxes. A real hi-fi nut would be extremely unimpressed at this price level but, to my ears at least, you can get a decent quality sound.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think but my first priority would be decent hi-fi separates. From my own experience with an m-audio audiophile 2496 you need real hi-fi equipment to hear a good sound card at its best - if your budget can stand it. Sound plays a big part in the movie experience, although you're not always conscious of it.

halcyon

Splendid
The logitechs you mentioned are under £50. An entry-level hi-fi stereo amp and speakers would cost about £600-£700 in total. I've no idea how much more you'd pay for similar quality surround sound boxes. A real hi-fi nut would be extremely unimpressed at this price level but, to my ears at least, you can get a decent quality sound.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think but my first priority would be decent hi-fi separates. From my own experience with an m-audio audiophile 2496 you need real hi-fi equipment to hear a good sound card at its best - if your budget can stand it. Sound plays a big part in the movie experience, although you're not always conscious of it.

From the standpoint of headphone listening I agree. The X-Fi drives quality headphones just fine on its own, but there's a tremendous difference in sound quality when its feeding a descent quality DAC and headphone amp via descent interconnects. I've read in these forums that such gear is placebo. Not so, IMO. I can now hear the tremendous quality that the X-Fi is digitally capable of and it is really something to hear. However, I've found that in my experience the 24bit Crystalizer and CMSS3D are complete and total overkill and really color the sound in an unpleasant way. However, when listening to my Sony MDR-V600 directly connected to the X-Fi's front channel speaker outputs both of those features made the sound really enjoyable. ...filling in the Sony's rice-cake-like sound nicely.

I've been skeptically convinced that you need descent speakers/headphones to truly experience and appreciate a high-quality sound card. That's a shame because most people spend a lot of money on the sound card only to drive inaccurate speakers/headphones. I've done the same thing myself. Ignorance is bliss.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
entry level surrond sound for 700 euro? u kidding me? more like 700 dollars buy a pioner 815 or 515 for like 200 bux then spend 200 on jbl front speakers 150 on a woofer 100 ona front channel and then 50 on rear speakers and you have a respectable 5.1 setup

though the 515 reciever is only like 130 bux i think so that lowers u 70 dollars to 630 and you dont NEED the 200 dollar front speakers... 150 could get you somethin decent

that setup would probably kill any equivalent logitech package for that price!

halcyon

Splendid
entry level surrond sound for 700 euro? u kidding me? more like 700 dollars buy a pioner 815 or 515 for like 200 bux then spend 200 on jbl front speakers 150 on a woofer 100 ona front channel and then 50 on rear speakers and you have a respectable 5.1 setup

though the 515 reciever is only like 130 bux i think so that lowers u 70 dollars to 630 and you dont NEED the 200 dollar front speakers... 150 could get you somethin decent

that setup would probably kill any equivalent logitech package for that price!

He may have meant to say "entry level audiophile surround sound...."?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I got the X-Fi Extreme Music and it is by far the best soundcard I have used. I listen to music, watch movies and most of all play games and this card provides the best sound. Make sure you have a good set of speakers as well to fully use the sound card. :D

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
i got the Logitech X-530's as well (tho' i will probably get some good floor speakers so i can experience movies at best and switch with my PC/TV for DVD's and games and such).

the X-530's aren't bad, but aren't that extreme. when i got em' they were the best bang for the buck. for DVD's i recommend the Creative X-Fi Platinum

the Creative X-Fi Platinum has 3 modes:
- Game
- Audio Creation
- Entertain (optimized movie soundtrack and music playaback+ includes:
*THIS

seriously consider the Creative X-Fi, i've used onboard sound/ Creative Soundblaster 2, and this is by far the best ever...
Creative X-Fi= THG
-Creative X-Fi post
-Creative X-Fi post 2
-Creative X-Fi post 3

hope this helps! if not, let us/me/whomever know, take care.

halcyon

Splendid
Yeahp. ...and given that you can get the Creative digital I/O module ( http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=1780 )for $15 I can't even recommend the Platinum's $80 breakout box. Unless you can really make use of the headphone/mic inputs with their seperate volume/input level controls.

...in fact, if you want the EP's breakout box that can be had seperately too, for $229... ( http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=14711 ).

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I have Logitech X530 that now I use in the living room and tested it from my computer with Audigy ZS, It's a good speaker for its price. You’ll provably gain about 10% - 20 % increase in sound quality for a good sound card. But if you have more expectation from it by adding good sound card you'll be disappointed.
Try using DFX Audio Enhancer before buying a soundcard.

McDull

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I think spending money on getting a better speaker system like Z-5500 will be much more worthy than getting a good soundcard in your case.

falsterbo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
The only soundcard I would buy is any of the X-Fi series. They are the best!

I myself have a Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro (can´t get any better...). I changed from a Soundblaster Audigy 2. The X-Fi sounds better, always! You can here a big difference if you turn on the 24-bit crystalizer. It makes a really good work. And don´t forget that you can get out MP3 (stereo) in surround (4.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1...).

Either you stay with a crappy onboard soundcard on your motherboard or you buy X-Fi...