Demote - Cleanup

Hi

I'm preparing for an migration to W2k3.
I have noticed that when I demote a domain controller in my testnetwork, the
records in the AD integrated DNS zones regarding that server is not removed.
Same thing when I move the PDC Emulator role. It adds the new record to DNS
but it doesn't remove the old one!

Am I doing something wrong or...?
What can I do about it?

Regards
Wayne

This is default, the best thing to do is to have a automatically process for
removing DCs where you write a script or tool to remove the DC complexly, It
remains in the sites and services as well after demote.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Wayne Gore" <WayneGore@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi
>
> I'm preparing for an migration to W2k3.
> I have noticed that when I demote a domain controller in my testnetwork,
> the
> records in the AD integrated DNS zones regarding that server is not
> removed.
> Same thing when I move the PDC Emulator role. It adds the new record to
> DNS
> but it doesn't remove the old one!
>
> Am I doing something wrong or...?
> What can I do about it?
>
> Regards
> Wayne

Thanks for you answer Chriss.

I must say that I'm fairly disappointed though that this is the way it
works...

Cheers
Wayne

"Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:

> This is default, the best thing to do is to have a automatically process for
> removing DCs where you write a script or tool to remove the DC complexly, It
> remains in the sites and services as well after demote.
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "Wayne Gore" <WayneGore@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm preparing for an migration to W2k3.
> > I have noticed that when I demote a domain controller in my testnetwork,
> > the
> > records in the AD integrated DNS zones regarding that server is not
> > removed.
> > Same thing when I move the PDC Emulator role. It adds the new record to
> > DNS
> > but it doesn't remove the old one!
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong or...?
> > What can I do about it?
> >
> > Regards
> > Wayne

I believe that dcpromo deletes all SRV records. But doesn't delete A and PTR
as the machine still exists -it's just a member server.

I was under the impression that only an ungraceful demotion leaves SRV
records behind.

Is this an issue with DNS record ownership?

As for changing the roles of PDCe, again, I'm not aware of DNS not being
cleaned up...

--
Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/