Major Issues After new Vid Card/Mobo HELP!

Sarod

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Hello all, well I performed my first upgrade on the first computer I built and am facing some wierd problems. I upgrade to an Asus A8N SLI and a XFX 7900Gt Xtreme. After reformatting and installing windows im experience wierd problems:

- Web pages wont load completely ie emoticons wont load or small pics. general slow loading. Other computers on the same connection are fine.

- Freezes playing Farcry and FEAR. In FEAR I get an infinite loop sort of freeze.

- * When i download things i can extract without getting an error. THe same file wll download/extract fine on another comp.

I have been told that it may be memory problems in bios settings. Im new to this still so not quite sure where to start. I set CAS and timings (2-3-3-6) in mobo but not sure on more advanced settings. All updates have been performed

Thank you for reading. Any ideas are appreciated.

Specs
AMD 3200 939
A8N SLI
OCZ Performance 5x512 (pc3200)
XFX 7900GT Xtreme
SoundBlaster Audigy Value
Enermax 600w All-In-One-Noisetaker

Fury_01

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
hmm odd problems... try relaxing the timings on your ram. Try auto settings... not the fastest but just to check if u get more stability.

Also try disconnecting all your drives except for your boot drive..

Booting off just one stick of ram

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
First thing I'd like to know is why did you upgrade to a 939 system. You know 939 is non-upgradeable right? You could have got AM2 for the same price and been all set for the next generation.
I cant begin to tell you what your problem could be other than windows corruption. You say you set your cas to 2-3-3-6, is that what the memory specifies? Most of the time you want to set it too auto. If you cant figure it out Id reformat and reinstall windows.
Then in this order:

1 install your service packs
2 install your mobo chipset drivers and update them online
3 install latest direct X
4 install latest video drivers online
5 install the rest of your hardware
6 install all your critical windows updates

Sarod

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
ok so i took the advice of MrsD and kicked myself in the face for buying the 939 :) . In all seriousness i in no way could afford new cpu/ram/mobo/vid all at once.. About to move off for college in a couple of months..

Back to the important issue: I reformatted and reinstalled now the problems with internet browsing and extracting files is gone. But I am still have video card problem i think.

*When playing FEAR my system locks and then I get a blue screen saying that nv4_disp has failed or the device. (Hasnt occured playing less intensive games). I have tried the original drivers as well as the updated ones with the same outcome.. Any Help appreciated:)

Sarod

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
hmm il tried different chipset drivers from asus and nvidia sites.. Updated Directx and sound card.. And still get random freezes that sometimes i can recover from but 99% of the time it crashes to a blue screen that says nv4_disp error. Infinitie loop error or something.