Software Restriction available in Windows 2000 domain

or it can be used in W2K3 domain.

Thanks &regads,
Eric Eyecles

Software restriction is available only with Active Directory under Windows
Server 2003.

-ds

"rUAn" <awkalex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> or it can be used in W2K3 domain.
>
> Thanks &regads,
> Eric Eyecles

Software restriction policies are available in both Windows 2000 and
2003 domains.

Regards,
Rick Gouin, MCSE

Software Restriction Policies will be available as soon as the first Windows
Server 2003 Domain Controller are deployed within the particular active
directory domain. At the client side you have to run at least Windows XP.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"rUAn" <awkalex@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> or it can be used in W2K3 domain.
>
> Thanks &regads,
> Eric Eyecles

I am currently using software restriction policies in a Windows 2000
domain against XP clients. I have no 2003 domain controllers anywhere
in the forest, and I never have.

After installing the latest GPMC and adm file updates to an XP client
that I manage my domain from, I was able to create and deploy software
restriction policies within my 2000 domain that are working perfectly
against my Windows XP clients.

Before you say I'm full of beans, try it. It works.

Interesting, I didn't below the Software Restriction Module was within an
..adm file.

--

"Rick Gouin" <rick@pragmaticutopia.com> skrev i meddelandet
>I am currently using software restriction policies in a Windows 2000
> domain against XP clients. I have no 2003 domain controllers anywhere
> in the forest, and I never have.
>
> After installing the latest GPMC and adm file updates to an XP client
> that I manage my domain from, I was able to create and deploy software
> restriction policies within my 2000 domain that are working perfectly
> against my Windows XP clients.
>
> Before you say I'm full of beans, try it. It works.

I'm not sure that it actually resides in an adm file

When I go onto any of my Win2k DC's (which don't have the GPMC or
anything installed on them) I can't manage the software restriction
policies. However from my desktop, I can, and they work. I don't know
whether that functionality was added due to the GPMC update, the SP2
adm file updates, 2k3 admin tools, or what.

Pretty cool, huh?

Definitely needs to be XP clients within an AD.

Is this point absolute that the clients must be XP pro deployed within AD
environment.
Is it correct?
Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Eric Eyecles

"Chriss3 [MVP]" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> Interesting, I didn't below the Software Restriction Module was within an
> .adm file.
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "Rick Gouin" <rick@pragmaticutopia.com> skrev i meddelandet
> >I am currently using software restriction policies in a Windows 2000
> > domain against XP clients. I have no 2003 domain controllers anywhere
> > in the forest, and I never have.
> >
> > After installing the latest GPMC and adm file updates to an XP client
> > that I manage my domain from, I was able to create and deploy software
> > restriction policies within my 2000 domain that are working perfectly
> > against my Windows XP clients.
> >
> > Before you say I'm full of beans, try it. It works.

Yes that is for sure.