NTBackup fails with event ID 8012 backing up AD

Hi all
i've a problem : when i want to backup the AD ( exactly all the
SystemState) i get an error :

The 'Active Directory' returned 'The parameter is incorrect' from a call to
'BackupRead()'

If i check the backup log i can see the AD is not backed up.
It occurs if i use a backup operator group member. If i use an
administrator group member i can backup normally.

i've checked the AD database and no error detected.
What can i do?

I have many servers and only get this problem in 2 of them. All servers have
same configuration and same policies applied.

can you help me?

Thanks in advanced

Salva

Salva,

Remember the AD or the System State on a Domain Controller can only be
backed up by a Domain Administrator. A backup Operator does not have the
rights to do this.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"Salva" <Salva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> i've a problem : when i want to backup the AD ( exactly all the
> SystemState) i get an error :
>
> The 'Active Directory' returned 'The parameter is incorrect' from a call
> 'BackupRead()'
>
> If i check the backup log i can see the AD is not backed up.
> It occurs if i use a backup operator group member. If i use an
> administrator group member i can backup normally.
>
> i've checked the AD database and no error detected.
> What can i do?
>
> I have many servers and only get this problem in 2 of them. All servers
> have
> same configuration and same policies applied.
>
> can you help me?
>
> Thanks in advanced
>

> Salva

Hi Ryan,
i think you're wrong because i'm backing up all of my DCs using a backup
operator without administration rights and all but 2 are working fine.

thanks for your reply.
Salva

"Ryan Hanisco" wrote:

> Salva,
>
> Remember the AD or the System State on a Domain Controller can only be
> backed up by a Domain Administrator. A backup Operator does not have the
> rights to do this.
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> FlagShip Integration Services
> Chicago, IL
>
> "Salva" <Salva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> > i've a problem : when i want to backup the AD ( exactly all the
> > SystemState) i get an error :
> >
> > The 'Active Directory' returned 'The parameter is incorrect' from a call
> > 'BackupRead()'
> >
> > If i check the backup log i can see the AD is not backed up.
> > It occurs if i use a backup operator group member. If i use an
> > administrator group member i can backup normally.
> >
> > i've checked the AD database and no error detected.
> > What can i do?
> >
> > I have many servers and only get this problem in 2 of them. All servers
> > have
> > same configuration and same policies applied.
> >
> > can you help me?
> >
> > Thanks in advanced
> >

> > Salva

I'll admit when I'm wrong and here's the link supporting you:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/distrib/dsbj_brr_zglt.asp

Thanks.