Can subdomain be Win2003 when Parent Domain is win2000?

This company currently has one ADS domain, running in win2000 native.
They want to create a subdomain but make the subdomain a win2003 domain.

If the parent domain already has exchange 2003 running in it successfully,
are there any domain prep utilities that have to be performed on the parent
before I can create a win2003 subdomain?

I don't want to screw up the company so, just double-checking...
9 answers Last reply
More about subdomain win2003 parent domain win2000

    Ziek,

    If you do the normal 2003 domain and forest schema extensions, you'll have
    no problems with the installation of a 2003 child domain.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Ziek" <ziek@nomail.net> wrote in message
    > This company currently has one ADS domain, running in win2000 native.
    > They want to create a subdomain but make the subdomain a win2003 domain.
    >
    > If the parent domain already has exchange 2003 running in it successfully,
    > are there any domain prep utilities that have to be performed on the
    > parent
    > before I can create a win2003 subdomain?
    >
    > I don't want to screw up the company so, just double-checking...

    Thanks,

    But I'm just trying to understand something since I'm just joined this
    company and I'm trying to figure out how they did this:

    If the domain is running windows 2000 ADS, but the exchange server in the
    domain is running 2003, does that mean that the domain has already been
    domain-preped/Forestpreped, and now ready to support a 2003 subdomain, or
    must I still domain prep and forest prep the parent domain before installing
    a 2003 Domain Controller for a chile domain?

    Assuming that a domain-prep/forest-prep has already been performed for the
    parent domain, can I skip running a domain-prep for a child subdomain that I
    plan on creating?

    > Thanks,
    >
    > But I'm just trying to understand something since I'm just joined this
    > company and I'm trying to figure out how they did this:
    >
    > If the domain is running windows 2000 ADS, but the exchange server in the
    > domain is running 2003, does that mean that the domain has already been
    > domain-preped/Forestpreped, and now ready to support a 2003 subdomain, or
    > must I still domain prep and forest prep the parent domain before
    installing
    > a 2003 Domain Controller for a chile domain?

    What PT says (other post) about Exchange and Win2003 being
    separate preps is true.

    Also note that if you have even ONE Win2003 domain in the
    forest this means the AdPrep /ForestPrep was run and the
    AdPrep /DomainPrep was run in THAT specific domain.

    It says nothing about /DomainPrep in other domains of the forest.

    They might have chosen to run them in every domain but since it
    is not a requirement it is unlikely.

    The rule is that /domainprep must be run in each domain SOMETIME
    before that domain contains it's first Win2003 DC.

    > Assuming that a domain-prep/forest-prep has already been performed for the
    > parent domain, can I skip running a domain-prep for a child subdomain that
    > plan on creating?

    Yes, but if you are wrong it will fail to install.

    There is no harm in attempting it a second time.
    (It will have no effect.)

    The schema modifications (adprep) for Exchange and Windows 2003 are mutually
    exclusive. Prepping the forest for exchange has no bearing on whether or
    not you can install Windows 2003 DCs. You must do both, if you wish for
    both.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    Also, remember that you can tell if the preps have been run by looking on
    the schema partition with ADSIEdit. You will see upgrade objects there that
    are specifically added so you can tell that the preps have been done.

    If you do try to run them and they have already been done, it will tell you.

    --

    > "Ziek" <ziek@nomail.net> wrote in message
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> But I'm just trying to understand something since I'm just joined this
    >> company and I'm trying to figure out how they did this:
    >>
    >> If the domain is running windows 2000 ADS, but the exchange server in the
    >> domain is running 2003, does that mean that the domain has already been
    >> domain-preped/Forestpreped, and now ready to support a 2003 subdomain, or
    >> must I still domain prep and forest prep the parent domain before
    > installing
    >> a 2003 Domain Controller for a chile domain?
    >
    > What PT says (other post) about Exchange and Win2003 being
    > separate preps is true.
    >
    > Also note that if you have even ONE Win2003 domain in the
    > forest this means the AdPrep /ForestPrep was run and the
    > AdPrep /DomainPrep was run in THAT specific domain.
    >
    > It says nothing about /DomainPrep in other domains of the forest.
    >
    > They might have chosen to run them in every domain but since it
    > is not a requirement it is unlikely.
    >
    > The rule is that /domainprep must be run in each domain SOMETIME
    > before that domain contains it's first Win2003 DC.
    >
    >> Assuming that a domain-prep/forest-prep has already been performed for
    >> the
    >> parent domain, can I skip running a domain-prep for a child subdomain
    >> that
    >> plan on creating?
    >
    > Yes, but if you are wrong it will fail to install.
    >
    > There is no harm in attempting it a second time.
    > (It will have no effect.)

    Okay,

    Understood.

    But,

    If this company is only concnerned right now about the child domain running
    Windows 2003, then I after I forestprep the forest for Windows 2003 Active
    Directory, is it safe to assume that I can skip domain-preping the root
    domain in the forest since they don't care if that domain is running 2003?

    Order of operations would be:

    1. forestprep the forest for Windows 2003 schema extensions
    2. Allow replication to finish across the forest
    3. Install Windows 2003 on a member server and let it join the root domain,
    which is still running ADS 2000.
    4. DC PROMO this new member server, and let it create a new subdomain. This
    subdomain will now be running Windows 2003 Active Directory, while its
    parent domain (the root domain) will still be running Windows 2000 ADS.

    Is this correct?

    > "Ziek" <ziek@nomail.net> wrote in message
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > But I'm just trying to understand something since I'm just joined this
    > > company and I'm trying to figure out how they did this:
    > >
    > > If the domain is running windows 2000 ADS, but the exchange server in
    the
    > > domain is running 2003, does that mean that the domain has already been
    > > domain-preped/Forestpreped, and now ready to support a 2003 subdomain,
    or
    > > must I still domain prep and forest prep the parent domain before
    > installing
    > > a 2003 Domain Controller for a chile domain?
    >
    > What PT says (other post) about Exchange and Win2003 being
    > separate preps is true.
    >
    > Also note that if you have even ONE Win2003 domain in the
    > forest this means the AdPrep /ForestPrep was run and the
    > AdPrep /DomainPrep was run in THAT specific domain.
    >
    > It says nothing about /DomainPrep in other domains of the forest.
    >
    > They might have chosen to run them in every domain but since it
    > is not a requirement it is unlikely.
    >
    > The rule is that /domainprep must be run in each domain SOMETIME
    > before that domain contains it's first Win2003 DC.
    >
    > > Assuming that a domain-prep/forest-prep has already been performed for
    the
    > > parent domain, can I skip running a domain-prep for a child subdomain
    that
    > > plan on creating?
    >
    > Yes, but if you are wrong it will fail to install.
    >
    > There is no harm in attempting it a second time.
    > (It will have no effect.)

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > If this company is only concnerned right now about the child domain
    > running Windows 2003, then I after I forestprep the forest for Windows
    > 2003 ActiveDirectory, is it safe to assume that I can skip domain-preping
    > the root domain in the forest since they don't care if that domain is
    > running 2003?

    Yes. Herb's already explained this. The forest prep is an enterprise wide
    operation. The domain prep is specific to a domain in the forest that is
    running Windows 2000 and that you wish to introduce Windows 2003 DCs into.

    > Is this correct?

    Yes, that seems fine. In this case there's no domain to prep, because your
    creating a new 2003 domain.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Great, thanks Paul.

    Do you happen to know attribute/value I should check through ADSIEdit to
    determine wether the forest is ready for Windows 2003 domains? I think I
    can find that out somewhere through knowledge base...

    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > If this company is only concnerned right now about the child domain
    > > running Windows 2003, then I after I forestprep the forest for Windows
    > > 2003 ActiveDirectory, is it safe to assume that I can skip
    domain-preping
    > > the root domain in the forest since they don't care if that domain is
    > > running 2003?
    >
    > Yes. Herb's already explained this. The forest prep is an enterprise
    wide
    > operation. The domain prep is specific to a domain in the forest that is
    > running Windows 2000 and that you wish to introduce Windows 2003 DCs into.
    >

    > > Is this correct?
    >
    > Yes, that seems fine. In this case there's no domain to prep, because
    your
    > creating a new 2003 domain.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Yes, you need to look for the presence of this object:

    CN=Windows2003Upgrade,CN=ForestUpdates,CN=Configuration,DC=domain-name,DC=com

    ADPREP also create a logfile:

    %systemroot%\System32\Debug\Adprep

    --
    Paul Williams