User versus local administrator privilege

I know I have read articles on this, but I have hunted for 2 days and can't
find them.

I have a number of apps on our network shares that require the user to have
local administrative privileges to install. For this reason I have had to
make all Win 2K and XP users local administrators. I really do NOT like
doing this, but the alternative is for me to walk around to every
workstation just to install simple updates to QuickTime and the like.

I read of a way to use GPO's to push settings that will allow a standard
user account to install software that doesn't come with Windows installer
capability. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much!
2 answers Last reply
More about user versus local administrator privilege

    If the software is not with Windows Installer, then you can try to use some
    repackager such as the one come with Windows Server CD or this one,

    http://www.ondemandsoftware.com/freele.asp

    to repackage your software and use GPO to install.

    br,
    Denis

    "Steve Gould" <steve.gould(at)apawood.org> wrote in message
    > I know I have read articles on this, but I have hunted for 2 days and
    can't
    > find them.
    >
    > I have a number of apps on our network shares that require the user to
    have
    > local administrative privileges to install. For this reason I have had to
    > make all Win 2K and XP users local administrators. I really do NOT like
    > doing this, but the alternative is for me to walk around to every
    > workstation just to install simple updates to QuickTime and the like.
    >
    > I read of a way to use GPO's to push settings that will allow a standard
    > user account to install software that doesn't come with Windows installer
    > capability. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    >
    > Thanks so much!

    Thank you SO much Denis!!! This works like a dream. I am set now!!!

    Steve

    "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
    message news:eOCHPTNOFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > If the software is not with Windows Installer, then you can try to use
    > some
    > repackager such as the one come with Windows Server CD or this one,
    >
    > http://www.ondemandsoftware.com/freele.asp
    >
    > to repackage your software and use GPO to install.
    >
    > br,
    > Denis
    >
    > "Steve Gould" <steve.gould(at)apawood.org> wrote in message
    >> I know I have read articles on this, but I have hunted for 2 days and
    > can't
    >> find them.
    >>
    >> I have a number of apps on our network shares that require the user to
    > have
    >> local administrative privileges to install. For this reason I have had to
    >> make all Win 2K and XP users local administrators. I really do NOT like
    >> doing this, but the alternative is for me to walk around to every
    >> workstation just to install simple updates to QuickTime and the like.
    >>
    >> I read of a way to use GPO's to push settings that will allow a standard
    >> user account to install software that doesn't come with Windows installer
    >> capability. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    >>
    >> Thanks so much!

Active Directory Windows