Imperial Glory. Good ?

Has anyone in this forum tried Imperial Glory? How is it ?

Does the RTS combat have strategy or is it a click fest?

snowman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001

I do not like most rts games. IG is alot like total war. I love it.
It's not quite as polished as TW but close.

richmarin@earthlink.net wrote:

> Has anyone in this forum tried Imperial Glory? How is it ?
>
> Does the RTS combat have strategy or is it a click fest?
>
> ..

Got a right slagging off in this months PC Gamer along the lines of action
is far too quick (original Rome Total War anyone?) and battles are over in
seconds. I know RTW was bad as well but since it was released it has been
slowed to acceptable by the various mods. Presently I wont buy the game as I
hate RTS clickfests but if it gets a slow down mod I might consider it. I
was very interested in the game and this got me worried - I just knew
something was going to spoil it. Happens every time these days it seems.
Publishers are to blame IMO having too much say on how a game should play
and essentially ruining it. Whatever happens to good, solid, properly tested
games properly designed for their target market?
Nats

"Snowman" <davis.karl@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I do not like most rts games. IG is alot like total war. I love it.
> It's not quite as polished as TW but close.
>
> richmarin@earthlink.net wrote:
>

>> Has anyone in this forum tried Imperial Glory? How is it ?
>>
>> Does the RTS combat have strategy or is it a click fest?
>>
>> ..

peter

Hello:

You are right about Imperial Glory - battles are way too quick. Graphics are
not nearly as good as RTW. To me, it was disappointing -I'm putting my copy
on Ebay this week.

"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Got a right slagging off in this months PC Gamer along the lines of action
> is far too quick (original Rome Total War anyone?) and battles are over in
> seconds. I know RTW was bad as well but since it was released it has been
> slowed to acceptable by the various mods. Presently I wont buy the game as
> hate RTS clickfests but if it gets a slow down mod I might consider it. I
> was very interested in the game and this got me worried - I just knew
> something was going to spoil it. Happens every time these days it seems.
> Publishers are to blame IMO having too much say on how a game should play
> and essentially ruining it. Whatever happens to good, solid, properly
tested
> games properly designed for their target market?
> Nats
>
> "Snowman" <davis.karl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I do not like most rts games. IG is alot like total war. I love it.
> > It's not quite as polished as TW but close.
> >
> > richmarin@earthlink.net wrote:
> >

> >> Has anyone in this forum tried Imperial Glory? How is it ?
> >>
> >> Does the RTS combat have strategy or is it a click fest?
> >>
> >> ..

Ed

I find the graphics just as good as RTW.

What I don't like about IG (even though it is in most respects a fine game)
are the following:

- lack of speed slider - it can take ages for your troops to cross the
battlefield
- actual combat needs slowing down, I agree
- no morale element (huh?!) - your troops fight to the last man and don't
rout
- there should be a general/drummer/standard bearer present on the
battlefield. It should be possible to strike at him and damage morale (as in
RTW)
- there seems to be no combat bonus from using the high ground (huh?!)
- as far as I can see you can't see what troops you have loaded into a ship,
meaning relying on memory (or guesswork)
- the interface for moving troops around the campaign map and for building
regiments is needlessly complex and very clunky (horrible, in fact)
- why only 3 regiments per province??
- only one battlefield per province (therefore totally different to RTW) -
you can find yourself having to repeatedly attack or defend the same spot
multiple times. For example, as Prussia, I beat the British defenders of the
Tower of London. You would then think I had captured the building, having
killed off its defenders. But no, a few turns later, the Brits somehow
assembled a new defence force for England and I found myself again attacking
the Tower, even though I had obviously won it a few turns before. The same
thing happened a third time. WFT???!!! This is obviously an insane
situation.
- there seems to be no way of knowing how many troops you have to keep in a
province you're subjugating in order prevent a rebellion
- it would be helpful if a bubble message appeared telling you why you
cannot land your men in a particular province from a ship

There are probably more, but these are the ones I can think of for now.

Cheers, Ed

Nats wrote:
> Got a right slagging off in this months PC Gamer along the lines of action
> is far too quick (original Rome Total War anyone?) and battles are over in
> seconds. I know RTW was bad as well but since it was released it has been
> slowed to acceptable by the various mods. Presently I wont buy the game as I
> hate RTS clickfests but if it gets a slow down mod I might consider it.

Anybody who likes the Total War series should absolutely consider it.
I'm no modder, but according to the forums it is supposedly open to
being modded.

> was very interested in the game and this got me worried - I just knew
> something was going to spoil it.

The battles are somewhat disappointing. More than just the speed
issue, there's also the fact that there is no morale. No routing.
Units fight to the last man at all times. Personally, this bothers me
more than the speed does because it really destroys all sense of
realism. On the plus side, it has a nice tactical naval combat system.

The good news is the strategic/campaign level game is excellent. It
plays out on a boardgame-like map with movement and management at a
provincial level similar to MTW, which I personally preferred to RTW's
underdeveloped "Civ-lite" style. IG has a full tech tree divided into
3 eras, Wonders of the World aka "Quests", a detailed system of
commercial trade (also similar to MTW's but deeper), and what I believe
is IG's crowning jewel -- the best diplomacy I've ever seen in any
strategy game I've played before.

With RTW people said you could play the strategic level part as a game
itself and ignore the tactical battles. I never really believed that.
But with IG I think it is true.

> Happens every time these days it seems.
> Publishers are to blame IMO having too much say on how a game should play
> and essentially ruining it. Whatever happens to good, solid, properly tested
> games properly designed for their target market?

I was just thinking this about IG this morning. I can't see anybody
being happy with this game. If you like the way they've implemented
the realtime battles then I'm sure the strategic game is going to be
dull. And if you like the strategic game, the realtime battles are
going to be too frantic and unrealistic.

<patrick.barnes@standardregister.com> wrote in message

> With RTW people said you could play the strategic level part as a game
> itself and ignore the tactical battles. I never really believed that.
> But with IG I think it is true.

Wasnt it MTW that they said that about? Im sure some people could possibly
perhaps play MTW on the map only if they liked strategy board games etc. But
theres no way you can do that with RTW. Its just too dull.