Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Group Policy Not Applying Unless User is Part of Administr..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 4:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

I would appreciate any ideas anyone may have.

The only way I can get a GPO to populate is to grant administrator
rights to the user. If I don't, the policy does not apply. All the
policy is supposed to do is configure proxy settings for Internet
Explorer. However, the problem gets trickier: The problem only occurs
on the current image we are deploying. If I install Windows 2000 from
scratch on a PC, the GPO will come through with no problems (and I will
not need to grant the user admin. rights!). I need to find what is
causing the problem on the current image.
If helpful, I can include a copy of the UserEnv.log file.

Thank you in advance for any help / ideas anyone may have.

Cheers!
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:36:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Thanks for the reply.
I did use the gpresult.exe tool. There is no difference when I run the
tool as the user with admin rights and without admin. rights. I even
ran a file compare utility on it. The only mismatch was in the
security privileges section. (that's obvious, because when the user
has admin. rights, he has more privileges).
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:55:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

I checked the GPO and it does have the appropriate rights.
The problem is that if I install Windows 2000 from scratch, the GPO
will apply correctly (and I will not have to grant the user admin.
rights). However, in our current build, the only way to apply the GPO
is to grant the user administrator rights. I can not reimage 3000 PCs
with a new image, therefore I have to troubleshoot what is causing the
problem on the current image. Thank you for your help, it is much
appreciated.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 6:44:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Can you run it on a Windows 2000 PC?
I tried downloading it but I could not install it on a W2k PC.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:27:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

If you download the command line gpresult tool, and run it on the client, is
there anything related in the output? I think this is the best way to begin
troubleshooting the issue.

See gpresult:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/to...

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
------------------------------------------------
http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips

<octavian32@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:1112642854.322223.202410@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>I would appreciate any ideas anyone may have.
>
> The only way I can get a GPO to populate is to grant administrator
> rights to the user. If I don't, the policy does not apply. All the
> policy is supposed to do is configure proxy settings for Internet
> Explorer. However, the problem gets trickier: The problem only occurs
> on the current image we are deploying. If I install Windows 2000 from
> scratch on a PC, the GPO will come through with no problems (and I will
> not need to grant the user admin. rights!). I need to find what is
> causing the problem on the current image.
> If helpful, I can include a copy of the UserEnv.log file.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help / ideas anyone may have.
>
> Cheers!
>
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:45:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Have you modify the ACL (Security) of the particular GPO? Ensure that
Authenticated Users has been granted the rights Read and Apply Policy.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
------------------------------------------------
http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips

"Oct32" <octavian32@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:1112647009.960466.307520@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for the reply.
> I did use the gpresult.exe tool. There is no difference when I run the
> tool as the user with admin rights and without admin. rights. I even
> ran a file compare utility on it. The only mismatch was in the
> security privileges section. (that's obvious, because when the user
> has admin. rights, he has more privileges).
>
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:26:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Run rsop.msc on new install, as well run it on a imaged computer, and
compare the result?

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
------------------------------------------------
http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips

"Oct32" <octavian32@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:1112648148.060328.33150@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>I checked the GPO and it does have the appropriate rights.
> The problem is that if I install Windows 2000 from scratch, the GPO
> will apply correctly (and I will not have to grant the user admin.
> rights). However, in our current build, the only way to apply the GPO
> is to grant the user administrator rights. I can not reimage 3000 PCs
> with a new image, therefore I have to troubleshoot what is causing the
> problem on the current image. Thank you for your help, it is much
> appreciated.
>
April 5, 2005 3:56:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Is it possible that the GPO is applying but failing to successfully set
the proxy registry settings? Try adding a policy setting in the GPO
that you can confirm, like hiding a cpanel applet, to verify whether
the GPO is processed at all.

If the GPO if being processed, check the permissions of the registry
key for Internet settings.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\

An alternative might be to just use reg entries in your GPO to push the
values into the registry directly, rather than using the settings in
the GPO template.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:06:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Sorry, gpresult is your only option at win2k platform, it gives you the same
output but in text mode.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
------------------------------------------------
http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips

"Oct32" <octavian32@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:1112651044.807255.152360@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Can you run it on a Windows 2000 PC?
> I tried downloading it but I could not install it on a W2k PC.
>
!