motherboard for Socket 939?

fedude

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2002
I need a motherboard for an AMD socket 939 CPU. I have all the other parts of the build but I just need a motherboard. Here are my other components.

- XFX PVT42EUDE3 Geforce 6800 XTreme 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
- Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel
- AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939
- 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Does anyone have a recommendation?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I like the A8N-e, but I have one nitpick: It uses a fan to cool the chipset over a heat-pipe. They did have a Heat-Pipe version, but it was only released in Korea. Shame, would've made that motherboard near perfect.

That is a small nitpick, anyways. I second the A8N-E, one of the best non-SLi 939 boards out there.

~Ibrahim~

Although I have had no problems at all from my Abit KN8 Ultras (I have two of them), I am not planning on using any more because they require a -5V rail that most PSUs don't have any more. The Aspire PSUs I've been using have also been fine, but I just think I ought to get better for my next build, and none of the PSUs I've seen recommended here have that rail. I'll be interested in what people have to say.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Yeah, the reviews are just peoples opinions, but so is a forum. :wink: But, anyway, I agree not to trust the reviews but sometimes if there are more than just a few of the same comments in the reviews then there can be truth to it. I wouldn't trust 1 or 2, but if there is a general theme developing in the reviews there may be something to it.

I recently bought a bunch of wireless desktops. I didn't read the reviews before hand, but after several people start complaining about them I went back and read the reviews. Sure enough, it was a pretty common complaint. So, I added my comments too.

I too am beginning to look for 939 boards, and while I think the lan problems on that particular board are driver related, I'll go through a lot of the comments to see what might be revealed.