VOIP with ReplayTV

I have a replayTV 3030 which connects over the phone line. I am considering
a move to VOIP phone service and giving up the land line, its cheaper and
seems like the right direction technically. I have heard that the quality
will not allow the ReplayTV to connect over the IP phone line.

My question is has anybody had any experience with AT&T CallVantage,
SunRocket, or Vonage and replayTV? Did you need to lower the baud rate on
the Replay? What bandwidth does your internet connection have?
5 answers Last reply
More about voip replaytv

    I'm afraid I can't answer for those particular VOIP carriers, but I have tried
    several with my asterisk system as well as none (just asterisk). What I found
    out is that some of the early replay boxes had a noisy modem chip. This was
    also confirmed by PacBell who said it was screwing up my DSL line (before I went
    VOIP). I haven't tried my 5000 yet (no need to with the network connection).

    If you have one with a noisy chip, that could be a problem.

    -- John

    Steve Weavers wrote:

    > I have a replayTV 3030 which connects over the phone line. I am considering
    > a move to VOIP phone service and giving up the land line, its cheaper and
    > seems like the right direction technically. I have heard that the quality
    > will not allow the ReplayTV to connect over the IP phone line.
    >
    > My question is has anybody had any experience with AT&T CallVantage,
    > SunRocket, or Vonage and replayTV? Did you need to lower the baud rate on
    > the Replay? What bandwidth does your internet connection have?

    Dear Steve,

    I would recommend you to visit the site:

    http://www.uninumber.ubifone.com/

    and discover the advanced VoIP world.

    Please do feel free to contact me for further questions you may have.

    Kind Regards,

    Sam.
    -------------------------------------

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

    Steve Weavers wrote:
    > The SunRocket VoIP is now installed and works well as a phone line. The land
    > line is no more. But, I am not able to make the rtv3030 connect. It will
    > dial, there is a modem exchange, but then it just fails. Do you know how I
    > can find out if I have a "noisy chip"?
    >
    > The VoIP gateway is a Telco Access 211. Getting good information on this
    > device seems to be difficult,

    Try here: http://support.telco.com/products.php?id=40&pid=18

    Enzo

    The SunRocket VoIP is now installed and works well as a phone line. The land
    line is no more. But, I am not able to make the rtv3030 connect. It will
    dial, there is a modem exchange, but then it just fails. Do you know how I
    can find out if I have a "noisy chip"?

    The VoIP gateway is a Telco Access 211. Getting good information on this
    device seems to be difficult, but it is advertised as supporting a fax
    machine.

    "John Sutter" <jds@sutters.com> wrote in message
    > I'm afraid I can't answer for those particular VOIP carriers, but I have
    > tried
    > several with my asterisk system as well as none (just asterisk). What I
    > found
    > out is that some of the early replay boxes had a noisy modem chip. This
    > was
    > also confirmed by PacBell who said it was screwing up my DSL line (before
    > I went
    > VOIP). I haven't tried my 5000 yet (no need to with the network
    > connection).
    >
    > If you have one with a noisy chip, that could be a problem.
    >
    > -- John
    >

    > Steve Weavers wrote:
    >
    >> I have a replayTV 3030 which connects over the phone line. I am
    >> considering a move to VOIP phone service and giving up the land line, its
    >> cheaper and seems like the right direction technically. I have heard that
    >> the quality will not allow the ReplayTV to connect over the IP phone
    >> line.
    >>
    >> My question is has anybody had any experience with AT&T CallVantage,
    >> SunRocket, or Vonage and replayTV? Did you need to lower the baud rate
    >> on the Replay? What bandwidth does your internet connection have?

  5. Hi,
    I have a very old replay tv (panasonic showstopper) and I had problems using sunrocket phone line. The problem was resolved when I change the modem baud settings to lower speed. I changed from 28.8kbps to 9600bps and it worked.
    Thanks,
    SJPunter

vpn VoIP ReplayTV Networking