Using AD to copy files to client pcs - HOW?

Here's the situation I am in need of help with.

We haevf a software product called BaseShield. The thing is updated at
the client level CONSTANTLY. Currently it's a manual process. We have
400 clients that have the software. The vendor states that every time
they release these 2 files (one dll and one exe), we need to copy them
to the proper location on the client pc.

Is there a way, to use AD group policy or something else, so that the
exe and dll get copied to the client pc? I'd prefer not to do it with
a logon script, but some other way.
I don't care if it writes over a same version or a newer one.

My thought is to somehow have a local store.. where we have the dll
and exe. All the support analyst has to do is copy the new dll and exe
to that share, and it will somehow then get copied out to clients.

ANY suggestions are VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about using copy files client

    Why not use a startup script via a GPO to copy the files to the
    workstations?

    "BobMarley" <brianh*REMOVEFOREMAIL*@conterra.*REMOVE*.com> wrote in message
    > Here's the situation I am in need of help with.
    >
    > We haevf a software product called BaseShield. The thing is updated at
    > the client level CONSTANTLY. Currently it's a manual process. We have
    > 400 clients that have the software. The vendor states that every time
    > they release these 2 files (one dll and one exe), we need to copy them
    > to the proper location on the client pc.
    >
    > Is there a way, to use AD group policy or something else, so that the
    > exe and dll get copied to the client pc? I'd prefer not to do it with
    > a logon script, but some other way.
    > I don't care if it writes over a same version or a newer one.
    >
    > My thought is to somehow have a local store.. where we have the dll
    > and exe. All the support analyst has to do is copy the new dll and exe
    > to that share, and it will somehow then get copied out to clients.
    >
    > ANY suggestions are VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
    > thanks!

    that would require a logout and login to copy files....
    was kind of wondering if you could do it so the filecopy happened
    while users were still logged in...
    kind of like how software installation works via an msi

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:01:48 +0100, "ade" <noone@somewhere.net> wrote:

    >Why not use a startup script via a GPO to copy the files to the
    >workstations?
    >

    >"BobMarley" <brianh*REMOVEFOREMAIL*@conterra.*REMOVE*.com> wrote in message
    >> Here's the situation I am in need of help with.
    >>
    >> We haevf a software product called BaseShield. The thing is updated at
    >> the client level CONSTANTLY. Currently it's a manual process. We have
    >> 400 clients that have the software. The vendor states that every time
    >> they release these 2 files (one dll and one exe), we need to copy them
    >> to the proper location on the client pc.
    >>
    >> Is there a way, to use AD group policy or something else, so that the
    >> exe and dll get copied to the client pc? I'd prefer not to do it with
    >> a logon script, but some other way.
    >> I don't care if it writes over a same version or a newer one.
    >>
    >> My thought is to somehow have a local store.. where we have the dll
    >> and exe. All the support analyst has to do is copy the new dll and exe
    >> to that share, and it will somehow then get copied out to clients.
    >>
    >> ANY suggestions are VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
    >> thanks!

    You could write a script and schedule the script to run -this is at your
    descrescion; it could be every day.

    Here's an example script. In this script, the files must reside in the same
    folder as the script.

    ' An example of using environment variables when copying files.
    ' In this script a shortcut 'shortcut.lnk' is copied to the desktop
    ' of the %username% user profile.
    ' Paul Williams, http://www.msresource.net/, November 2004
    '

    set objFso=createObject("scripting.fileSystemObject")
    set objWShell=wScript.createObject("WScript.Shell")

    usrName=objWShell.expandEnvironmentStrings("%USERNAME%")

    strFileToCopy="shortcut.lnk"
    strFolder="C:\Documents and Settings\"&usrName&"\Desktop"

    if objFso.folderExists(strFolder) then
    objFso.copyFile strFileToCopy,strFolder&"\",true
    end if

    --
    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/