Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Dual-core??

SkullFox

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I'm searching for a good nForce 4 SLI motherboard for AMD dual core.

I have to choose between the DFI's SLI-DR expert and the Asus's A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

I choose the DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert. But there is a problem, since it is a limited edition, this mobo has shortage probs... So, I might have to buy the Asus.

I read the specs, and there is one thing that is confusing me... the SLI-DR Expert as a 24pin(mobo) + 8Pin(dual-core CPU) connection, but, the A8N32-SLI Deluxe doesn't. The Asus's mobo has a 24pin + 4pin(normal CPU) connection...

LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert:

I/O Connectors

# 2 connectors for 4 additional external USB 2.0/1.1 ports
# 1 connector for 1 external IEEE 1394 port
# 1 connector for 1 external serial port
# 1 connector for the Karajan audio module
# 1 front audio connector for external line-out and mic-in jacks (on the Karajan audio module)
# 1 CD-in internal audio connector (on the Karajan audio module)
# 1 S/PDIF connector for optical cable connection
# 1 IrDA connector
# 8 Serial ATA connectors
# 2 IDE connectors
# 1 floppy connector
# 1 24-pin ATX power connector
# 1 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
# 1 4-pin 5V/12V power connector (FDD type)
# 1 front panel connector
# 5 fan connectors
# 4 diagnostic LEDs
# EZ touch switches (power switch and reset switch)

A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Internal I/O Connectors

6 x USB 2.0/1.1
1 x Floppy disk drive connector
2 x IDE connector
5 x SATA connectors
1 x CPU / 2 x Chassis / 2 x Chipset / 1 x Power Fan connectors
1 x GAME / MIDI connector
2 x IEEE1394a connector
1 x COM connector
Front panel audio connector
Chassis Intrusion connector
CD / AUX audio in
24-pin ATX Power connector
4-pin ATX 12V Power connector
4-pin EZ Plug power connector

How is it possible to power a Dual-core CPU with only 4pins?? Is it because of the EZ Plug??

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
You have succesfully answered your own question...
From experience, even if the Asus website states that the EZ plug might only be used to add stability for power hungry components, you almost always have to plug it in to get the board to run super stable with any kind of high end components, even more so when running an SLI configuration.

SkullFox

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
but wouldn't it be better to just use the 8pin? :wink: ... gezz... these guys just complicate stuff...

I'm going to run a 7800GTX 256MB in single card config. So in their thoughs I wouldn't need the EZlug... :roll: ... well I just have to wait and see...

....Idiots....

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Do some homework with other motherboard makers before calling one an "idiot"

I just built an AM2 sysyem with a Gigibyte board and it also only used a 4 pin aux power connection. This is with a X2 3800.

The 8 pin was originally used to power two separate physical cpu's like you can find on server boards, it's not needed for a dual core (two cores one physical cpu).

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Well if you think about it a little more, if you already own a 2 year old 550W PSU (like mine :wink: ) which only has 1 4Pin connector but a gazzilion molex connectors to spare, it's not that idiotic.. I think they maybe want to adress ppl that don't want/have to go and buy a brand new PSU just for the sake of it. Also note that the DFI board is exclusively aimed at hardcore enthusiasts that maybe 75% of the time will OC their stuff to the brink of meltdown, so going for a 8pin right off the bat isn't overkill in that sense.

SkullFox

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
hehe... :lol: Guess you are right... but I'm going to buy a OCZ 700W PSU... so I could use the 8pins... :lol: