Samsung Details New Storage Chip For Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
@Samsung: Please use the opened space to put bigger battery. I dont mind my phone being as thick as Galaxy Nexus or even a bit thicker. a 3000+ mAh battery is a must.

Soo we will have phones with so small chips they wont even be able to find them, but we still cannot have a decent political system or general human respect.

Is it just me, or this world is going nuts?

Sure, they reduced package space by 20%, but how much have the reduced the endurance by going to a 10nm process?
Does it really make sense to have a 64GB vs a 32GB device if the non-replaceable storage starts failing in a year?

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
@Parsian

100% Agree

Dunno why some people seems so obsessed with "excessively" thin phones,. if hardware is becoming more efficient,. why make it thinner and have the same battery life when they could simply keep the same girth and slap in bigger battery.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]Soo we will have phones with so small chips they wont even be able to find them, but we still cannot have a decent political system or general human respect.Is it just me, or this world is going nuts?[/citation]
Considering that you're no longer allowed to own another human being, and women now have more equality than they've ever had before, I'd say general human respect has risen quite dramatically since the last century. Also, fewer people are being murdered now than in any other period in recorded human history.

Something to think about.

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
When will they finally start using the extra space for a larger battery? I mean, who honestly cares if their phone becomes 2-3 mm thinner? I know I don't. It'd be nice to have phones with a battery life which lasts longer than 24 hours on medium to heavy use.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]Soo we will have phones with so small chips they wont even be able to find them, but we still cannot have a decent political system or general human respect.Is it just me, or this world is going nuts?[/citation]

Keep the faith, keep the critical look, try to do something, despite any solution will come at an initial cost that is unaffordable for most of us (only the ones who have nothing to loose...)
I am living in Spain and have to see that 5 years ago, there were years of waste and steal of public money and now we need to trim budgets... having the only solution of cheaper dismissal and higher taxes (both direct and indirect) to solve a financial crisis and avoid banks going bankrupt while the population is being evicted for nonpayment (with suicide cases...)

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
How big is the memory chip anyway? I thought it was such a small part of the total components that making it smaller wouldn't really matter much.
Cheaper + Faster + more efficient are what I think is better.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I can't wait for NV cards/tegra based on 10nm...At this point I I'm salivating even over a 20nm tegra4, or heck I could live with a die shrink of a 660TI also :) I'm about to buy one black friday, but announcements like this make me think a 20nm Kepler isn't far away. They already have samples of Denver popped out in may on 20nm. Kepler can't be far behind.

Nvidia got really lucky when Apple pissed off samsung...LOL. Everyone else got unlucky. Samsung would have had to take on more soc dev's were in not for the steady 65% share of desktop gpu's Nvidia has. These are huge compared to A6 and will help samsung keep fabs 100% (including Tegra and their own stuff it shouldn't be too hard). Doing what TSMC does takes more work. Everybody has to get their die working with their process. Samsung will basically be supporting 2 companies rather than a dozen or more. NO real change than apple+sammy but it keeps it simple...The kiss principle I guess :) Of course TSMC has to do this, as if they put all their eggs in one basket and said company puts out a turd, they have no production needed for a while. Which is why they turned down apple's billion bid for 100% of their production.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Auroram[/nom]When will they finally start using the extra space for a larger battery? I mean, who honestly cares if their phone becomes 2-3 mm thinner? I know I don't. It'd be nice to have phones with a battery life which lasts longer than 24 hours on medium to heavy use.[/citation]
They have been. Galaxy S2 had a 1650mah battery. Now S3 has a 2100 mah battery. Galaxy note 2 has the biggest battery out of any smartphone currently out at 3100 mAh. Most likely, the S4 will have something close to 3000 mAh and Note 3 will probably hit 3500 mAh with current trends.

Oh wait, are you talking about Apple?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]friskiest[/nom]@Parsian100% AgreeDunno why some people seems so obsessed with "excessively" thin phones,. if hardware is becoming more efficient,. why make it thinner and have the same battery life when they could simply keep the same girth and slap in bigger battery.[/citation]

i don't like smartphones as phones.
they aren't comfortably to hold that way
making them thinner and thinner, sure some moron who put pants on 5 sizes to small and decided they want to carry phone. why make phones for these morons?

jayjayuhuh

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Great now i'll have room for those 10000 pics and 500 video's I'd like to have on my phone that were on my computer ..... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.