Another Experience

I ran across this post in another NG and found it interesting. I do not
agree with the entire thing, especially about the IP6000. But for the
most part it makes sense.

"SimonLW" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message

>>I wonder if there are any models that will do a good job for printing
>>photos
>> or is 6 or more ink colors the only way to fly?
>> Thanks -S

There's more to it than what you see with a loupe. Here's my recent
experience...from about 4 days ago.
I had been using a Canon S820 (6 colour)...but I did a *baaaad* thing and
used aftermarket inks, and the printer head clogged. A new head costs close
to 200 American dollars...so it became printer-hunting time. My 6 ink S820
printed excellent photos by the way (or so I thought at the time...I was
about to learn a thing or two).

First FWIW. A friend has a Canon pixma iP3000. It is a 4 ink system...1
black and 3 colour tanks. It does a very nice job of photos, and is very
inexpensive. If you are printing family snapshots there is nothing wrong
with a printer like this. If you are printing professionally (for lack of a
better word) then you want at least a 6 ink system and more likely an 8 ink
system.

As a result of previous experiences I am pretty much set on Canon printers,
though I am of the opinion that all brands of high end printers do an equal
job. I like the Canon ink system...and I like Canon's software. This is not
an advertisement...buy whatever brand you like.

So...I researched Canon printers to death and had pretty much decided on the
Pixma iP6000D...while lusting after the iP8500 (but not wanting to spend the
money). The 6000 is a 6 tank system while the 8500 is 8 tanks. The 8500 adds
a green and a red tank to the colour mix.

I toddled off to my local professional camera store to get a few expert
opinions before parting with my cash. My research had indicated that the
additional red and green tanks in the 8500 made a significant difference
when printing colours in the red, green, and orange range. We selected a pro
quality photo of vegetables in a market...sitting in a wooden crate and
surrounded by other veggies. Lots of reds (tomatoes) greens (vines and
leaves) and some orange (an orange bell pepper). All prints we made were 8.5
x 11 borderless done on Canon Photo Paper Pro (glossy). First out was from
the 6000D, and I was amazed at the quality. The tomatoes were red, tending
towards a lighter red/orange around the top of the tomato on the stem end. I
won't waste space with more description, suffice it to say it was a very
nice picture. We then printed the same photo on the 8500. I was astounded. I
expected one of those situations where an expert in printed matter could
look at it and point out where the reds and greens were 'better'. In fact,
the difference was night and day. The tomatoes were a much deeper, richer,
red. The greens were likewise. The whole photo was noticably better. This
was a print that came with bragging rights! There was an area on the top
edge of the wooden crate that was washed out by sunlight in the print from
the 6000D. On the 8500 print, more detail was visible in this area...wood
grain not visible in the 6000D print was visible on this one. End of story
as far as I was concerned...I plunked down double the money and walked out
with the 8500.

Second FWIW. We printed this pic a second time on the 8500, selecting the
'standard' setting, instead of 'quality'. This produced a print that was
very similar to the 6000D at its 'quality' setting.

As a side benefit...the 8500 has a LARGE printhead...6000+ nozzles...this
thing churns out an 8.5 x 11 in about a minute...my S820 took closer to 3.

Since setting this up at home I have printed about 10 full page photos. I
continued to be amazed at the quality, as do others who have seen them. I
had been printing on Epson glossy photo paper with excellent results. I
thought I'd check the claim about 'Canon ink on Canon paper' (using the same
picture) so see if that was 'advertising-hooey' or not. It is not...the
difference is pretty significant. With the Canon paper you get a *glossy*
finish. With the Epson paper you get a shiny but more matte like finish...I
considered it to be high gloss until I saw the difference the Canon paper
made. Under glass the difference is less noticable, and I fully intend to
continue using the Epson paper for much of my printing.

Third FWIW. I cannot guarantee that the head clogged on my S820 because of
after-market ink but I strongly suspect that is the case. It once sat unused
for over 4 months (with Canon inks) without a problem. Sitting unused for
about 3 weeks with all after-market inks...I now have a paperweight. Not
worth the risk. During this episode I reprinted some photos previously done
about 14 months ago with after-market inks...even factoring in that this
printer is doing a much better job...I am pretty sure those older pics have
already begun to fade.

HTH...didn't mean to write a novel.

WW

Douglas

The ip6000 is just the ip4000 with card slots.That is why I keep telling you
the ip4000 does not qualify as a photo printer! You can not tell much about
a printer with a 4x6 print.Most printers can make a nice 4x6.The larger
prints require a better printer,that is why most PROFESSIONALS use Epson
printers for poster size prints.

measekite wrote:

> I ran across this post in another NG and found it interesting. I do not
> agree with the entire thing, especially about the IP6000. But for the
> most part it makes sense.
>

> Third FWIW. I cannot guarantee that the head clogged on my S820 because
> of after-market ink but I strongly suspect that is the case. It once sat
> unused for over 4 months (with Canon inks) without a problem. Sitting
> unused for about 3 weeks with all after-market inks...I now have a
> paperweight. Not worth the risk. During this episode I reprinted some
> photos previously done about 14 months ago with after-market inks...even
> factoring in that this printer is doing a much better job...I am pretty
> sure those older pics have already begun to fade.

Really a silly story and totally meaningless. He states his printer
"once sat unused for 4 months" ...

4 Months?...

First of all, this guy doesn't even NEED a printer. Secondly, any bad
experience he claims to have had has no bearing on normal people who use
their printers on an almost daily basis, as I do. I make an effort to
print something at least every couple of days, to keep things "fluid".
I can afford it, I use compatible inks. Other can't because they use
expensive OEM inks and really don't want to "waste" any ink by printing
something. Letting a loaded printer sit idle is not good for its health.
My sister learned that message after not using her old Epson 740 for
about 3 weeks. It couldn't be re-started (unclogged).

Remember the term "Use it or lose it?" ;-)

-Taliesyn

>I ran across this post in another NG and found it interesting. I do not
>agree with the entire thing, especially about the IP6000. But for the most
>part it makes sense.

Did you get permission from the original author to repost this here?

[snip]

Ivor Floppy wrote:

>>I ran across this post in another NG and found it interesting. I do not
>>agree with the entire thing, especially about the IP6000. But for the most
>>part it makes sense.
>>

>Did you get permission from the original author to repost this here?
>
>[snip]

UP UR HOLE WITH A 10' POLE
AND
TWICE AS FAR WITH A HERSHEY BAR

YOU PUTZ

"Douglas" <.> wrote in message news:HO-dnfkKFaxOw-ffRVn-3g@centurytel.net...
> Most printers can make a nice 4x6. The larger prints require a better
printer

Eh? Why do you say that? After all it doesn't matter where on an A4/Letter
page your 4x6 image is printed.

Larger prints need a better camera not a better printer.

CWatters wrote:

>"Douglas" <.> wrote in message news:HO-dnfkKFaxOw-ffRVn-3g@centurytel.net...
>

>>Most printers can make a nice 4x6. The larger prints require a better
>>

>printer
>
>Eh? Why do you say that? After all it doesn't matter where on an A4/Letter
>page your 4x6 image is printed.
>
>Larger prints need a better camera not a better printer.

Oh my, he is the professional telling everyone else how dumb they are
when he does not know his ass like a hole in the ground. It looks like
Full Exposure.

How large you can print and get a good result depends on many things.
The quality of the sensor, the size of the pixels, the lens quality and
the number of pixels you have to work with. After all of that probably
the most important thing is the photographer. People in this group do
not appear to concentrate of that.

Any way you are right on. :)

Taliesyn wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> I ran across this post in another NG and found it interesting. I do
>> not agree with the entire thing, especially about the IP6000. But
>> for the most part it makes sense.
>>

>> Third FWIW. I cannot guarantee that the head clogged on my S820
>> because of after-market ink but I strongly suspect that is the case.
>> It once sat unused for over 4 months (with Canon inks) without a
>> problem. Sitting unused for about 3 weeks with all after-market
>> inks...I now have a paperweight. Not worth the risk. During this
>> episode I reprinted some photos previously done about 14 months ago
>> with after-market inks...even factoring in that this printer is doing
>> a much better job...I am pretty sure those older pics have already
>> begun to fade.
>>

> Really a silly story and totally meaningless. He states his printer
> "once sat unused for 4 months" ...
>
> 4 Months?...

Where in the Canon manual does it say how often you need to use it?

> First of all, this guy doesn't even NEED a printer.

So you are deciding what someone else needs?

> Secondly, any bad
> experience he claims to have had has no bearing on normal people

Wait up, you think that this NG is typical of normal people. Why
Frankie Crankie is not even a person.

> who use
> their printers on an almost daily basis, as I do. I make an effort to
> print something at least every couple of days,

Even if you do not need it.

> to keep things "fluid".
> I can afford it, I use compatible inks.

You mean you can not afford not to.

measekite wrote:

> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:
>>
>>> I ran across this post in another NG and found it interesting. I do
>>> not agree with the entire thing, especially about the IP6000. But
>>> for the most part it makes sense.
>>>

>>> Third FWIW. I cannot guarantee that the head clogged on my S820
>>> because of after-market ink but I strongly suspect that is the case.
>>> It once sat unused for over 4 months (with Canon inks) without a
>>> problem. Sitting unused for about 3 weeks with all after-market
>>> inks...I now have a paperweight. Not worth the risk. During this
>>> episode I reprinted some photos previously done about 14 months ago
>>> with after-market inks...even factoring in that this printer is doing
>>> a much better job...I am pretty sure those older pics have already
>>> begun to fade.
>>>

>> Really a silly story and totally meaningless. He states his printer
>> "once sat unused for 4 months" ...
>>
>> 4 Months?...
>

> Where in the Canon manual does it say how often you need to use it?

Something called experience.

>> First of all, this guy doesn't even NEED a printer.
>

> So you are deciding what someone else needs?

Should you?

>> Secondly, any bad
>> experience he claims to have had has no bearing on normal people
>

> Wait up, you think that this NG is typical of normal people.

90% are normal.

> Why Frankie Crankie is not even a person.

Frankie is abnormally normal.

>> who use
>> their printers on an almost daily basis, as I do. I make an effort to
>> print something at least every couple of days,
>

> Even if you do not need it.

I ALWAYS need it.

>> to keep things "fluid".
>> I can afford it, I use compatible inks.
>

> You mean you can not afford not to.

I can print out whole phone books and laugh at the cost.

I printed out 7 64 page booklets (8.5 x 11 folded), with about 100
photos at the VERY HIGHEST RESOLUTION (Photo Paper Pro) on my i860 and
it cost me absolutely nothing in ink. Well, okay, a couple of cartridge
refills, about $10 total. The paper cost more than the ink. ;-)

-Taliesyn

Taliesyn wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> I ran across this post in another NG and found it interesting. I do
>> not agree with the entire thing, especially about the IP6000. But
>> for the most part it makes sense.
>>

>> Third FWIW. I cannot guarantee that the head clogged on my S820
>> because of after-market ink but I strongly suspect that is the case.
>> It once sat unused for over 4 months (with Canon inks) without a
>> problem. Sitting unused for about 3 weeks with all after-market
>> inks...I now have a paperweight. Not worth the risk. During this
>> episode I reprinted some photos previously done about 14 months ago
>> with after-market inks...even factoring in that this printer is doing
>> a much better job...I am pretty sure those older pics have already
>> begun to fade.
>>

> Really a silly story and totally meaningless. He states his printer
> "once sat unused for 4 months" ...
>
> 4 Months?...

Where in the Canon manual does it say how often you need to use it?

> First of all, this guy doesn't even NEED a printer.

So you are deciding what someone else needs?

> Secondly, any bad
> experience he claims to have had has no bearing on normal people

Wait up, you think that this NG is typical of normal people. Why
Frankie Crankie is not even a person.

> who use
> their printers on an almost daily basis, as I do. I make an effort to
> print something at least every couple of days,

Even if you do not need it.

> to keep things "fluid".
> I can afford it, I use compatible inks.

You mean you can not afford not to.

> Other can't because they use
> expensive OEM inks and really don't want to "waste" any ink by printing
> something. Letting a loaded printer sit idle is not good for its health.

> My sister learned that message after not using her old Epson 740 for
> about 3 weeks. It couldn't be re-started (unclogged).
>
> Remember the term "Use it or lose it?" ;-)

> -Taliesyn

Douglas

Yes,the camera makes a difference,but if you take a photo with a 2 megapixel
camera and print it to a 4x6 it will be exceptable on most printers.If you
print the same picture as an 8x10 it will not be exceptable to most people!
I am not talking about a 4x6 print on A4 paper!Printing a 4x6 on A4 paper is
NOT printing a larger PRINT!Larger prints require a better camera,and a
better printer!No matter what mesekite or Canon says the ip4000 is not a
photo printer! It can print photos but it is not a photo printer!Also as to
the ip6000,yes it uses slightly different inks,but results from it are
close to results from the ip4000.Neither would pass as a great photo
printer.

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Go Eat your Mama :p
>

> At least he has a mama. Go some where else loser.
> Frank

Luv Ur Wife Frankie Crankie :p :p

Douglas wrote:

>Yes,the camera makes a difference,but if you take a photo with a 2 megapixel
>camera and print it to a 4x6 it will be exceptable on most printers.If you
>print the same picture as an 8x10 it will not be exceptable to most people!
>I am not talking about a 4x6 print on A4 paper!Printing a 4x6 on A4 paper is
>NOT printing a larger PRINT!Larger prints require a better camera,and a
>better printer!No matter what mesekite or Canon says the ip4000 is not a
>photo printer!

Go get caught up with your bullshit.

>It can print photos but it is not a photo printer!Also as to
>the ip6000,yes it uses slightly different inks,

It uses the same ink plus 2 extra BCI light load inks and does not have
a black dye. The results from this :-D foto printer :-D
is not as good as the IP4000 the Not Foto Printer :-D :-D

>but results from it are
>close to results from the ip4000.Neither would pass as a great photo
>printer.

The business man does not know what he is talking about. Who would want
to buy anthing from him

>"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
>

>>"Douglas" <.> wrote in message
>>

>>>Most printers can make a nice 4x6. The larger prints require a better
>>>

>>printer
>>
>>Eh? Why do you say that? After all it doesn't matter where on an A4/Letter
>>page your 4x6 image is printed.
>>
>>Larger prints need a better camera not a better printer.

> > Really a silly story and totally meaningless. He states his printer
> > "once sat unused for 4 months" ...
> >
> > 4 Months?...
>

> Where in the Canon manual does it say how often you need to use it?

When I got my IP5000 I wanted to keep my i850 as a backup. I emailed canon
about storing the printer. This was their reply;

"Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product.
In order for the print-head not to get clogged, we recommend printing a
test-page once every 2 weeks.

We hope this information is of use to you. However, should you require any
further technical assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us quoting
your Incident number."

I sold the printer rather than let it rot.

--
Patrick

It's a very well written review and discussion. I would say there is
one major flaw, however, in regard to the comparison of the 6000 and
8500 printer.

It may be true that "out of box" in the quality setting, the 8500
produced a far superior image to the 6000. However, that doesn't mean
that the 6000 can't be set up to do similar if not the same quality,
with a bit of adjustment of the drivers or the image in a image program.

Sometimes companies intentionally leave certain features off by default
or less accessible, at least on their less costly products, so that the
costlier product looks considerably better than a lower end product.

I am not saying that's the case here, but it may be.

I have seen 4 color CMYK prints that look like heck from any brand
printer, and I have seen quite amazing ones, as well, from the same
printer, different operator.

However, I would agree this is not something easy to determine at a
showroom.

Art

measekite wrote:

> [...]
> you get a *glossy* finish. With the Epson paper you get a shiny but more
> matte like finish...I considered it to be high gloss until I saw the
> difference the Canon paper made. Under glass the difference is less
> noticable, and I fully intend to continue using the Epson paper for much
> of my printing.
>
> Third FWIW. I cannot guarantee that the head clogged on my S820 because
> of after-market ink but I strongly suspect that is the case. It once sat
> unused for over 4 months (with Canon inks) without a problem. Sitting
> unused for about 3 weeks with all after-market inks...I now have a
> paperweight. Not worth the risk. During this episode I reprinted some
> photos previously done about 14 months ago with after-market inks...even
> factoring in that this printer is doing a much better job...I am pretty
> sure those older pics have already begun to fade.

Actually, I'll disagree on one point. The larger the print, the less
important the quality of the image resolution (although color fidelity
might be another issue). Simply, the larger a print is, the further
away it is viewed from, and therefore the less important resolution is.
If you have ever seen a billboard sign outdoors, you'd probably be
quite amazed at the screen size used to separate and print the images.
The dots are the size of a pencil's eraser, if not larger but you view
it from many feet away, so it looks OK.

Art

Douglas wrote:

> The ip6000 is just the ip4000 with card slots.That is why I keep telling you
> the ip4000 does not qualify as a photo printer! You can not tell much about
> a printer with a 4x6 print.Most printers can make a nice 4x6.The larger
> prints require a better printer,that is why most PROFESSIONALS use Epson
> printers for poster size prints.
> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I ran across this post in another NG and found it interesting. I do not
>>agree with the entire thing, especially about the IP6000. But for the most
>>part it makes sense.

In fairness to the original poster, he was speaking about print output
quality, not source of the image. But he did have it backwards.

Art

Patrick wrote:
>>>Really a silly story and totally meaningless. He states his printer
>>>"once sat unused for 4 months" ...
>>>
>>>4 Months?...
>>

>>Where in the Canon manual does it say how often you need to use it?
>>

> When I got my IP5000 I wanted to keep my i850 as a backup. I emailed canon
> about storing the printer. This was their reply;
>
> "Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product.
> In order for the print-head not to get clogged, we recommend printing a
> test-page once every 2 weeks.
>
> We hope this information is of use to you. However, should you require any
> further technical assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us quoting
> your Incident number."
>
> I sold the printer rather than let it rot.

I assume you didn't have enough to print to warrant having two
operational printers.

I use my printers just about every day or second day, so there little
chance of them committing suicide by sitting idle. There's always
something to print - photos, greeting cards, CD-liners & labels, emails,
shopping lists, miscellaneous projects backed up, manuals, etc. I don't
shy away from printing. I have "tons" of compatible ink and cartridges
just dying to get printed. My worst enemy is time; I don't have enough
of it.

When I bought my iP5000 it was to replace the earlier i860. Then I
decided to get a new printhead for the i860 and have two operational
quality printers. What changed my mind was that I found I could get
printheads on eBay for about $55 to $60. That clinched it. I run them
both on non-oem cartridges and bulk ink, making it very affordable.
This "printer duet" comes in handy at times, printing separate jobs
or different photos simultaneously.

-Taliesyn

"Douglas" <.> wrote in message news:yqOdneHIM51ulObfRVn-hw@centurytel.net...

> Larger prints require a better camera,and a better printer!

A better camera - yes that's obvious but it's hard to argue that you need a
better printer as well. As long as you keep the resolution _the same_ most
printers don't produce any worse results when printing 10x8 then they do at
6x4.

Are you worried they can't reposition the heads accurately when moving over
the larger distances?

CWatters wrote:

>"Douglas" <.> wrote in message news:yqOdneHIM51ulObfRVn-hw@centurytel.net...
>

>>Larger prints require a better camera,and a better printer!
>>

>A better camera - yes that's obvious but it's hard to argue that you need a
>better printer as well. As long as you keep the resolution _the same_ most
>printers don't produce any worse results when printing 10x8 then they do at
>6x4.
>
>Are you worried they can't reposition the heads accurately when moving over
>the larger distances?

And he claims to be a professional and knocks every one else. Maybe he
is a kid.

Taliesyn wrote:

>>> Where in the Canon manual does it say how often you need to use it?

No Where