Sign in with
Your question

Please Review/Comment Component List for Upgrade

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2006 9:26:01 PM

Hi, I am upgrading from a system I built (with a lot of help) a few year ago and while I will be keeping a small few components from the old system (case, power supply, one HD, CD-Burner, and an 80mm fan) I would like some comments on these new components I am considering purchasing for my upgrade. I am not looking to make a monster gaming rig, although I would like it to be unreasonably powerful. I am basically looking for something can run games on high or very high setting for the next year or so and be able to remain enteraining for 2 or 3 years until I upgrade again, you know the drill.

What I have right now is:

Antec Lanboy case and power supply, its from 2003, its still good thorugh, 450w power supply, and I have one 80mm fan installed on the rear vent, I wasn't running anything special in there, but I expect the upgrade to run hotter so I am going to mount another fan on the front vent as well.

Standard CD Burner, zip disk, floppy, and I will be keeping on a 60 gig hard drive I bought in 2003 as well which I will probably just format and try out linux or something, basically a sandbox, it might be SATA but I dont know off the top of my head but I can check later when I get home if anyone thinks its important.

I also have two sticks of DDR 400 PC 3200 RAM, 184 pins, one is 256 and the other is 512, I am not going to keep them forever, but I am going to order another gig stick of newegg and i will have 4 slots total and a 4 gig limit with the new mobo, so i figure I should put them all in and I can take out the smaller ones as they get repaced

alright on to the fun part, the new stuff:

I will be ordering off NewEgg and here is a link to my wishlist but this may not work so I will also give you guys a list to look over and let me know if I am thinking about buying things that will not work together.

ORION Pro Series Red 18" 180 and 90-Degree-Angled, SATA (SERIAL ATA 150) Cable, 2-Head Model 700-201-05 - Retail

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

BFG Tech BFGR78256GTOC Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX - Retail

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ECC Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR400X72C3A/1G - Retail

SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2504C 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black ATA/ATAPI Model SH-S162L/BEBN - OEM

ARCTIC COOLING Pro 2LTC 80mm Blue LED Light Temperature Controlled Fan - Retail

Your opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.
July 13, 2006 12:31:01 PM

I dont understand the benefit of that ram in relation to the that which I had already chosen, additionally the one you picked would require two slots as opposed to one, so enlighten me as to why it is better.

Also I am curious about the videocard you pointed out to me, it seems to be the next model up, and is only 10 bucks more, but I have seen some people on newegg say that the 7800 is better then the 7900.

Thanks for the comment so far, more are very welcome.
Related resources
July 13, 2006 1:49:28 PM

Having read a number of reviews about both the 7800 and the 7900 it looks as though the 7800 is more reliable and seems to be less of a power hog. If anyone cares to correct me on that please feel free.
July 13, 2006 2:47:04 PM

the comments from newegg are complete crap. The 7900GTKO like Prophecy stated will kill the 7800GT and make it cry.
July 13, 2006 3:00:34 PM

Quote:
I dont understand the benefit of that ram in relation to the that which I had already chosen, additionally the one you picked would require two slots as opposed to one, so enlighten me as to why it is better.

With the sticks Prophecy recommended, you can run them in dual channel mode. This will double your memory's bandwidth thus giving you better performance. Also these sticks have a lower cas latency than that value ram you picked out. Lower cas latency can give a system a big bump in performance, especially with an Athlon 64 which has an integrated memory controller.
July 13, 2006 3:47:51 PM

That is interesting about the graphics card though, I will try to compare some reviews of the two. I am sure that both are way better then what I am using right now (Radeon 9200 :? ).

I would still prefer to just a gig stick of ram, I am willing to pay a little more to keep an additional slot free, so bearing that in mind any reccomendations would be welcome.

Any ideas you guys have about any of my components is appreciated, I come here seeking your expertise.
July 13, 2006 4:11:59 PM

Quote:
I would still prefer to just a gig stick of ram, I am willing to pay a little more to keep an additional slot free, so bearing that in mind any reccomendations would be welcome.

Any ideas you guys have about any of my components is appreciated, I come here seeking your expertise.

That's completely up to you, but you would get better performance by ditching your two old sticks and the just using the ones Prophecy recommended. The RAM size would be lower, but things would run so much faster. If you were to look at your task manager while running programs you will see that you’re probably not running anywhere near 1GB worth of programs. If this is the case then faster RAM would be to your benefit. Also with this solution you will have 2 slots free for future upgrades (like adding another gig when Vista comes out). If you want to have good gaming performance this setup is recommended as I'm sure others will agree.
July 13, 2006 4:23:30 PM

Quote:

That's completely up to you, but you would get better performance by ditching your two old sticks and the just using the ones Prophecy recommended. The RAM size would be lower, but things would run so much faster. If you were to look at your task manager while running programs you will see that you’re probably not running anywhere near 1GB worth of programs. If this is the case then faster RAM would be to your benefit. Also with this solution you will have 2 slots free for future upgrades (like adding another gig when Vista comes out). If you want to have good gaming performance this setup is recommended as I'm sure others will agree.

So you would argue that having less RAM that is faster is prefferable? Do you think that the speed of the ram really makes a difference even if it is all still DDR 400?

I am sorry if the questions are stupid, but what I dont know about computers could fill a library.
July 13, 2006 7:04:05 PM

I have decided to go with the 7900 GT which shown earlier in the thread. Additionally I am currently leaning towards this memory, I dont think I can go any faster becuase the higher end stuff uses 240 pin connectors or is DDR 500 neither of which my prospective mobo would support.
July 14, 2006 1:07:09 AM

Quote:
Go with This 2GB set of OCZ instead. It has much lower timings, and AMD systems LOVE ram with low timings.

Done, and thanks for the advice. As of right now this is what I am planning on purchasing. As always I welcome any comments and advice as to the direction this build is looking to take. Also keep in mind that I will probably not be messing around in the bios to get this overclocked, as I am scared to do so. But who knows I may just grow some testes if I can continue to get good advice from these boards.
July 14, 2006 3:00:11 AM

just list the parts..... the link you provided wants to me log in.... i don't have an account at newegg and i'm not signing up just to see your list.
July 14, 2006 5:46:12 AM

Quote:

So you would argue that having less RAM that is faster is prefferable? Do you think that the speed of the ram really makes a difference even if it is all still DDR 400?

I am sorry if the questions are stupid, but what I dont know about computers could fill a library.

In your case, yes, lower capacity but higher speeds can be better. DDR 400 has a bandwidth of 3,200 MB/s (this is also why it is referred to PC3200) and when put in to dual channel mode it creates a bandwidth of 6,400 MB/s. For games and other apps that require speed this is beneficial.

Now capacity can improve performance when you wish to load several programs or one large one all at once. In a case where you want to have 50 IE windows open at once, slow RAM with high capacity would be fine.

Now in your case capacity IS important, but not as important as you think. Let’s say when you boot Windows and when all your startup programs are running, you are using about 300MB of RAM. Then when you load up a game it uses another 500MB of RAM. Currently your system would be using about 800MB of RAM which still has a good way to go before filling up 1 GB. Since adding more RAM at this point would have little to no effect, it is better to boost the RAM's speed. The best ways to do this is by adding RAM with low cas latency and putting this in dual channel mode.
July 14, 2006 2:05:34 PM

Quote:
just list the parts..... the link you provided wants to me log in.... i don't have an account at newegg and i'm not signing up just to see your list.

Well then here it is, I am direct linking to the items themselves so hopefully you will be able to see them, if not I will just write it out later.

a cable, the motherboard, Video card, the cpu, RAM, hard drive, dvd burner, an additional fan.

Would that ram be able to run in dual channel mode, also I am concerned that the CPU might be a bit overpowered in relation to the rest of the system, but I just read that they will be coming down in price soon so I dont feel as bad about it.
July 14, 2006 10:17:39 PM

That ram will run in dual channel on the DFI board just fine. As for the CPU, go for it.... doesn't become overkill unless you get one of the FX chips.
!