please help me !

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
ok i've spent the past week posting on forums and all people have done so far is make me change my mind, but they dont help me much after that :cry:
I want to buy counter strike source, but i found out that my graphics card sucks, after that i found out that my psu isnt all that great, and i had a 'cannot find harddrive' problem a couple of times in the past, and somebody said its possibly because i have a bad psu.

Im almost completly computer illiterate, i know the basics...you know, how to turn it on, shut it off, follow step by step onscreen instructions, not much else.

Heres a link to my computer: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/3726/3726sp29.shtml

cs:s recemends this to play it:
2.4 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

another game i want to play recemends this:
2.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent,

512 MB System RAM (required for 8-player multiplayer games).

nVidia GeForce 3 or ATI Radeon 8500 or equivalent with 64 MB of Video RAM.

I need a graphics card that will slightly exceed the recemendations.
Somebody from another thread told me i have a 300 wat psu. What psu should i buy to replace mine, the guy also said i would need to buy a psu to support a better graphics card.

Can somebody please help me find a card + psu to buy...and please help me install it? I never opened up a computer before, a few days ago my neighbor came over and opened it when it said 'cannot find harddrive' and he said its probably a loose wire or something, the inside was filled with dust...are you supost to clean it out??? That was the 1st time ive ever seen the inside of a computer.

Just a question...Theres a power surge thing i think its called, that the computer is plugged into, its like a rectangle with a bunch of plugs in it, Am i supost to shut that off if theres lightning, or unplug my computer or something???

cleeve

Illustrious
If you don't want to buy a new PSU, try an X1600 PRO and enjoy great CS performance with little power requirements.

If you plan to play other, newer games though... yeah, a PSU & video card would be good. A 7600 GT or X1800 GTO & 450w name brand PSU would be a good starting point.

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
All prices from newegg:
7600GT: $135
X1800GTO: $170
X1800XT: $230
The X1800GTO is priced too closely to the X1800XT. $60 is a fair bit of money, but I'd gladly spend that to get a card which will totally kill the cheaper one. The 7600GT, which performs about equal to the GTO, is the best value.

Ok 7600GT is a pcie right ?
Cleeve, you said 'great cs performance' i want to play cs:s, will a 7600gt do the trick?

Thx a lot for helping me

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Here is what I would do....

1. Like cleeve said get a 7600gt, if you can afford it get the 7800gt (or ati equivalents). Both are pci-e, the agp ones end in gs.

2. Get a psu with at least 400w by antec or enermax, any computer store should have those two.

3. Get more ram, value ram is probably fine for your system.

4. CLEAN YOUR CASE, you should be using compressed air and a vacumn to clean it out once a month. Make sure you get the heat sinks on your cpu and video card. Leave the vacumn hose outside the case (don't let it touch anything) and blow with the canned air and let the vacumn suck up the flying dust. Wait an hour before turning on your computer after you are done and for gods sake don't turn the can upside down.

5. Always unplug your electronics when there is a lighting storm. Everything should be run on surge protectors, then you only have one plug to take out of the wall socket.

What kind of case do you have? How many fans are on it? If you can afford it get the Antec Sonata II which comes with a 450w psu. Good airflow for the case and new psu for one low cost.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Oh, man, Waylander... The guy said he was computer illiterate and only saw the inside of a PC once...

As for advice,

1. Cleve suggests good video card options. However, you will need to ask someone who knows PCs to help you install the new video card, JesusGotCaught. The reason for this is as follows:

You will need to make changes in your BIOS to disable the on-board video card which is integrated with your motherboard

2. As for the PSU, Gateway specs don't list what PSU you have JesusGotCaught, so call or email Gateway tech support and ask them what PSU you have. The specifications of that PC look like it may have a greater than 350W PSU.

3. Do clean the inside of the PC as Waylander suggests.

4. Finally, 1Gb of RAM that your PC has is quite adequate. Do not waste your time and money buying more RAM as Waylander suggested.

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
1, i would like to keep it cheaper, i dont want to over do it if i dont have to.
2, somebody told me gateway is notorious for making their computers slightly different from everything else, is there a way to check if a psu is compatable with my computer? if not i might have to buy it from gateway.
3 ...what is ram :oops: ....i guess i dont need to know what value ram is if its fine...
4, do i unplug it when i clean it? Do i take out the graphics card and what not to clean them?
5, Im afraid to unplug it :cry: i wont like lose any of the stuff on my computer will i?

How do i find out what case i have? ..i think i have one fan..
I'll be willing to pay some money to get a good psu, i dont want to spend 300$ on a graphics card because apparently they come out with a new direct x every year or so and i would have to buy another graphics card...i expect the psu to last forever. How much would that antec Sonata II cost? You said "if you can afford it........for one low cost"

does each thing need a psu? like does a graphics card have its own psu and a fan have its own psu? or does everything use the same one?

Sorry if im getting annoying... Your helping me alot and i really appreciate

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Oh, man, Waylander... The guy said he was computer illiterate and only saw the inside of a PC once...

As for advice,

1. Cleve suggests good video card options. However, you will need to ask someone who knows PCs to help you install the new video card, JesusGotCaught. The reason for this is as follows:

You will need to make changes in your BIOS to disable the on-board video card which is integrated with your motherboard...
8O integrated makes it sound hard.
As for bios, pfft i took college prep. BIO/Lab last year so that parts a peice of cake 8) ( its funny because i have no idea what your talking about 8O )
Could any of you guys give me instructions for changing 'bios' for the new card when i get it? I was under the impression that you guys knew computers...any chance it might come with a manual? ...is it just as hard to change a psu?

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
1, i would like to keep it cheaper, i dont want to over do it if i dont have to.
2, somebody told me gateway is notorious for making their computers slightly different from everything else, is there a way to check if a psu is compatable with my computer? if not i might have to buy it from gateway.
3 ...what is ram :oops: ....i guess i dont need to know what value ram is if its fine...
4, do i unplug it when i clean it? Do i take out the graphics card and what not to clean them?
5, Im afraid to unplug it :cry: i wont like lose any of the stuff on my computer will i?

How do i find out what case i have? ..i think i have one fan..
I'll be willing to pay some money to get a good psu, i dont want to spend 300$ on a graphics card because apparently they come out with a new direct x every year or so and i would have to buy another graphics card...i expect the psu to last forever. How much would that antec Sonata II cost? You said "if you can afford it........for one low cost"

does each thing need a psu? like does a graphics card have its own psu and a fan have its own psu? or does everything use the same one?

Sorry if im getting annoying... Your helping me alot and i really appreciate

Dude, see my post above. It is obvious that we cannot give you step-by-step, ultra detailed recommendations on how exactly to open and upgrade your PC. You need to find someone who knows a thing or two about doing this.

NOTE:It is true that Gateway makes weird PC boxes. In some cases standard components will not even fit in them. Therefore, before you start thinking about purchasing a new PSU, contact Gateway for support. You may also want to ask them if the video card you decided to buy will fit in the case.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Could any of you guys give me instructions for changing 'bios' for the new card when i get it? ...any chance it might come with a manual? ...is it just as hard to change a psu?

Each PC has many components. The main one (into which everything else is plugged in) is called the motherboard (also known as the "main board" or simply "mobo"). The motherboard has its own software which gives instructions to all components re: how they should communicate with each other. These instructions are contained in the BIOS (which stands for Basic Input/Output System). Right now your BIOS instructs your PC to use the video card which is a part of your motherboard (integrated video card). Before your new video card which you will plug into your PCIex16 slot can work without conflicting with the integrated video card, the integrated video card has to be disabled. To do this you need to enter your BIOS.

Unless someone is intimately familiar with the BIOS used in your particular motherboard no one can give you "detailed" instructions on how to do this. It is even possible that once you insert your new video card in its PCIex16 slot the motherboard will automatically disable its on-board (integrated) video card.

NOTE:In any event, find someone who knows PCs to help you.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Who told you your PSU isn't good enough? According to Gateway it's a 300W. According to the specs on this PNY 7600GT, 300W minimum is needed.

My suggestion, get a 7600GT and take it to a local computer shop and have them install it for you if you're not comfortable with installing it yourself. If you start running into power issues, then start looking into getting a new PSU. And yes, you should contact Gateway if you need to get a new PSU.

Based on the gaming requirements you listed, a 7600GT will easily handle your needs.

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
slava maybe i could learn a bit about bios and do it myself, i dont know anybody good with computers ...and there is no local computer shop :x
There has to be some standards for bios :?
i think i saw a sub forums about bios somewheres ..... ill go check them out. You guys can feel free to help me still if you want :D

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
The problem lies in that it's a Gateway. Some big-house computers like Gateway and Dell use proprietory BIOSs so it may not be that easy.

Open the case and (with the help of a flashlight) see if you can find some model numbers and a manufacturer on the board itself. You don't need to remove anything, just look inside and see what you can see. Make sure to ground yourself before you touch <i>anything</i> inside the case.

It could be an Intel brand board, but I think Gateway uses MSI (or used to). If you're lucky you might be able to find a manual on the retail version of the board that you can study. Using the manual and the BIOS screen, you might be able to find your way around and learn a thing or two in the process.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
lol what, brother? As far as I am concerned it was a good idea when a couple of years back THG had a page where people could post their photos and info. Personally, I would rather see GWs mug rather than that PC case he has for avatar.

kobe08

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Who told you your PSU isn't good enough? According to Gateway it's a 300W. According to the specs on this PNY 7600GT, 300W minimum is needed.

I'm planning to do the same on my Gateway Gt4010 as soon as I get the money next week. Please let me know if the 300w PSU is sufficient, though I think it should work. Thanks.

cleeve

Illustrious
Personally, I would rather see GWs mug rather than that PC case he has for avatar.

No you wouldn't. Guys like GW and myself aren't pretty enough to show the world our visages... :p

What happened to that picture page, anyway? Is the link dead?