hints for mages

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 1, 2004 2:03:00 PM

Since I'm still seeing occasional posts talking about difficulties
mages are having, I thought I'd summarize some useful tips for playing
them. Now, when I play a mage, I generally play a "working mage" that
uses magic for certain skill sets. In particular, I don't rely on
magic for "everything"--I just use magic a lot to get on with life in
Morrowind.

Restoring Magicka
The first thing you notice about being a mage is that your magicka
gets used up very quickly when casting spells with respectable
effects. The second thing you notice is that magicka is a bit hard to
replenish.
The cheapest and easiest way for the new player to replenish
magicka (other than sleeping constantly, nay continuously) is to use
Matze and/or Sujamma. These cheap, if heavy, potions drian your
intellect. If your intellect drains to 0, you will usually recover
full magicka when your intellect recovers. Not always, but usually.
This method may be all that any warrior or thief who does only
occastional magic will need. So long as your intellect is 50 or less
and you have no "protection from magic" involved, a single 3-weight
jug of Sujamma will get you back in magicka heaven. And, by the way,
give you the strength to haul a bunch of loot around (until the
strength wears off).
The second way is to buy restore magicka potions. Most alchemists
only carry a few of these, if any at all. But a few carry an infinite
supply. Whitehaven, in Balmora, is one such. Look for exclusive
potions elsewhere for those who restock. Now, once your merchant
skill (plus speechcraft/personality) gets up, you will be able to buy
goods for less than you can sell them for. So buy lots of expensive
stuff (say a masters mortar plus a restore magicka potion), then sell
back "most" of it (say a masters mortar) for what you just paid. Or,
just buy an occasional restore magicka potion for emergencies, and use
sujamma for mundane, unhurried, refills.
The third way, if you like alchemy, is to buy the restore magicka
ingredients and mix your own. See above method of paying for high
priced items. Or, if merchanting isn't your style, just mix and sell
you own potions from cheap ingedients until you can pay for the
expensive stuff. Or, capture things in soul gems and sell them for
cash. Or keep returning to daedric shrines where the atronarchs will
reappear indefinitely, and loot their bodies for their weapons and
hearts.
A forth way is to make an item or potion that drains your
intellect ala sujamma. (Use "drain" not "damage" as you want your
intellect back in a timely fashion.)

Complecations Restorying Magicka:

If you are playing a mage, you may have chosen a special class (eg.
Breton) or special birthsign (e.g. Atronarch) to enhance your basic
store of magic.

Protection from magic:
This ability, whether inherent or added through echantments, etc.
will also protect you from things that restore your magicka. So, a
Breton would need twice the sujamma to drain their intellect that a
non-breton would. It also protects you against other beneficial
spells like blessings. Yuck.

Atronach:
All of the above methods (except the sleeping glossed over) work
for atronarchs. You can also absorb spells cast at you by enemies,
altars of blessing, your own ancestral ghost, etc. Drop by the
temples and shrines every time you visit any city, and you won't need
as much sujamma/restoral potions/etc. Atronachs are magic "gods";
it's almost like cheating. Spell absorption is way better than
protection from magic. It works against any kind of harmful magic
(until absorption levels are filled). And, you can recast/rebless the
helpful magics if they get absorbed. Who sleeps in Morrowind, anyway.
You get nasty dreams if you sleep. Nobody sleeps much.

More about : hints mages

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 12:28:51 AM

> The cheapest and easiest way for the new player to replenish
> magicka (other than sleeping constantly, nay continuously) is to use
> Matze and/or Sujamma. These cheap, if heavy, potions drian your
> intellect. If your intellect drains to 0, you will usually recover
> full magicka when your intellect recovers.

I didn't know that. Thank you.

> Drop by the temples and shrines every time you visit any city, and
> you won't need as much sujamma/restoral potions/etc.

Never used that method either. What blessing restores my magicka?
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 12:28:52 AM

Bjoern Liffers <bjoernhenning.liffers@dialup.fh-aachen.de> wrote in message news:<opsag1mdx6036b7o@News.CIS.DFN.DE>...
> > The cheapest and easiest way for the new player to replenish
> > magicka (other than sleeping constantly, nay continuously) is to use
> > Matze and/or Sujamma. These cheap, if heavy, potions drian your
> > intellect. If your intellect drains to 0, you will usually recover
> > full magicka when your intellect recovers.
>
> I didn't know that. Thank you.
>
> > Drop by the temples and shrines every time you visit any city, and
> > you won't need as much sujamma/restoral potions/etc.
>

> Never used that method either. What blessing restores my magicka?

any that you intercept. Almsivi restoration works best of the
temple spells because it's the largest (at least I think that is why).
Restore Attributes also works well.
July 2, 2004 1:26:06 AM

I like the style of your writing. *grin* Not LOL stuff, but things that
keep a small knowing smiley-grinney-thingey on one side of your mouth.
thoroughly entertaining and educational as well. Good job.

-M
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 1:26:07 AM

Miika Turtiainen <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> wrote in message news:<cc1l00$svb$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>...
> I like the style of your writing. *grin* Not LOL stuff, but things that
> keep a small knowing smiley-grinney-thingey on one side of your mouth.
> thoroughly entertaining and educational as well. Good job.
>
> -M

Thanks. It's nice to hear.
!