Closed

How to change my computer ID in XP Home

Kindly advise me how to changemy computer ID in XP home. When I purchased my
laptop while travelling abroad the dealer initiated the computer and typed in
an ID. This ID "YOUR-AYZ9QSTP1" appears whenever I communicate with other
devices. I need to replace it with an appropriate personal ID. Could anyone
kindly advise me how to go about it. Many Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about change computer home

    Dev wrote:
    > Kindly advise me how to changemy computer ID in XP home. When I
    > purchased my laptop while travelling abroad the dealer initiated the
    > computer and typed in an ID. This ID "YOUR-AYZ9QSTP1" appears
    > whenever I communicate with other devices. I need to replace it with
    > an appropriate personal ID. Could anyone kindly advise me how to go
    > about it. Many Thanks.

    Right-click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name > Change ....

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Doug Knox has a changer here
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Dev" <Dev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Kindly advise me how to changemy computer ID in XP home. When I purchased
    > my
    > laptop while travelling abroad the dealer initiated the computer and typed
    > in
    > an ID. This ID "YOUR-AYZ9QSTP1" appears whenever I communicate with other
    > devices. I need to replace it with an appropriate personal ID. Could
    > anyone
    > kindly advise me how to go about it. Many Thanks.

    Hello,

    Press WinKey + Pause/Break and click the "Computer Name" tab, then click
    change.

    Michael Ortega
    "Dev" <Dev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Kindly advise me how to changemy computer ID in XP home. When I purchased
    > my
    > laptop while travelling abroad the dealer initiated the computer and typed
    > in
    > an ID. This ID "YOUR-AYZ9QSTP1" appears whenever I communicate with other
    > devices. I need to replace it with an appropriate personal ID. Could
    > anyone
    > kindly advise me how to go about it. Many Thanks.
  4. Quote:
    (1) Go to Start --> Control Panel
    (2) Then open "System" - double click on the system icon.
    (3) On "System" properties open computer name tab.
    (4) Click "Change" button
    (5) Type new name and restart the PC to change new name

    [#0005ff]Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums. It may be that the OP has solved this problem between 2004 and now but there are plenty of newer threads to answer unless you're just here to advertise, of course.[/#000ff]
  5. Thank you for the reply. Yes I would like to answer for your new threads as it my hobby. However I put a link to my site with my answer actully I would like to have good traffic for my site.
  6. Please don't do that again or you'll be banned from this site.
  7. Saga Lout said:
    [#0005ff]Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums. It may be that the OP has solved this problem between 2004 and now............[/#000ff]

    I don't know saga. The OP could still be hard at work trying to sort out this huge issue for six years running. :lol:
  8. This topic has been closed by Aford10

Computers Windows XP