How to change my computer ID in XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

Kindly advise me how to changemy computer ID in XP home. When I purchased my
laptop while travelling abroad the dealer initiated the computer and typed in
an ID. This ID "YOUR-AYZ9QSTP1" appears whenever I communicate with other
devices. I need to replace it with an appropriate personal ID. Could anyone
kindly advise me how to go about it. Many Thanks.

Dev wrote:
> Kindly advise me how to changemy computer ID in XP home. When I
> purchased my laptop while travelling abroad the dealer initiated the
> computer and typed in an ID. This ID "YOUR-AYZ9QSTP1" appears
> whenever I communicate with other devices. I need to replace it with
> an appropriate personal ID. Could anyone kindly advise me how to go
> about it. Many Thanks.

Right-click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name > Change ....

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Doug Knox has a changer here
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Dev" <Dev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Kindly advise me how to changemy computer ID in XP home. When I purchased
> my
> laptop while travelling abroad the dealer initiated the computer and typed
> in
> an ID. This ID "YOUR-AYZ9QSTP1" appears whenever I communicate with other
> devices. I need to replace it with an appropriate personal ID. Could
> anyone
> kindly advise me how to go about it. Many Thanks.

Hello,

Press WinKey + Pause/Break and click the "Computer Name" tab, then click
change.

Michael Ortega
"Dev" <Dev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Kindly advise me how to changemy computer ID in XP home. When I purchased
> my
> laptop while travelling abroad the dealer initiated the computer and typed
> in
> an ID. This ID "YOUR-AYZ9QSTP1" appears whenever I communicate with other
> devices. I need to replace it with an appropriate personal ID. Could
> anyone
> kindly advise me how to go about it. Many Thanks.

(1) Go to Start --> Control Panel
(2) Then open "System" - double click on the system icon.
(3) On "System" properties open computer name tab.
(4) Click "Change" button
(5) Type new name and restart the PC to change new name

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums. It may be that the OP has solved this problem between 2004 and now but there are plenty of newer threads to answer unless you're just here to advertise, of course.[/#000ff]

pcdoctor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Thank you for the reply. Yes I would like to answer for your new threads as it my hobby. However I put a link to my site with my answer actully I would like to have good traffic for my site.

Please don't do that again or you'll be banned from this site.

I don't know saga. The OP could still be hard at work trying to sort out this huge issue for six years running. :lol: