two domains on same subnet and share exchange

Andre

I have domainA.com and im adding domainB.com not as a child but as its own
domain its on DC and what I want to know is can they exist on the same
subnet? 2. How does the DNS work in this will domainB.com DNS server except
zone transfers from domainA.com? 3. Can my exchange server in domainA.com
handle mail for both domainA.com and domainB.com? 4. Can the DHCP sever in
domainA.com assign ips to clients in domainB.com? Does this make sense what
im trying to do?

Thank You

Ade

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Hi Andre

Answers in line...

"andre" <andre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have domainA.com and im adding domainB.com not as a child but as its own
> domain its on DC and what I want to know is can they exist on the same
> subnet?

Yes they can.

2. How does the DNS work in this will domainB.com DNS server except
> zone transfers from domainA.com?

Yes again. setup a secondary zone called domainb.com on domaina.com's dns
server and vice versa, configure both to update their own domains sencondary
zones respectively.

3. Can my exchange server in domainA.com
> handle mail for both domainA.com and domainB.com?

I believe so, as long as you have implicit 2 way trusts in place (maybe
someone can confirm this) there is a good article on microsoft's site
regarding this, although I don't have the url.

4. Can the DHCP sever in
> domainA.com assign ips to clients in domainB.com? Does this make sense
what
> im trying to do?

Yes again, but you will need to provide your clients with an additional dns
search suffix for the 2nd domain, see this url for info
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275553 ........and
yes, you make perfect sense, I'm currently going through the same scenario
myself : ). I've found the help you can and will get here invaluable.

> Thank You

Your welcome, if any of my answers are wrong, I'm sure someone will correct
me : )

Exchange can only host users within same forest with mailboxes.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson