Help: GPO settings changed

I have a strange change in Group Policy that is hurting me bad. I have no
idea where the change came from or how to correct it. I am running a Windows
2000 AD and Forest, but one DC is Windows Server 2003. Here is
what happened.

I am testing deployment of applications in a test OU. I had the applications
set to install at first login. I had only 1 application being installed and
all worked well. I am not sure exactly when the change occurred (possibly
when I installed the new Server 2003 DC?), but I was adding more
applications and they no longer installed at first login. The application
install option is NOW set to "Auto-install this application by file
extension
activation " and is grayed out. Now the applications will only install when
a file of that extension type is opened. I do NOT want this setting, but I
can't find how to go back to my old settings as they are grayed out now.
This
was NOT the previous setting!

PLEASE HELP.

Steve
1 answer Last reply
More about help settings changed

    Never mind. After more experimenting I have it working now. It seems Win 2K3
    AD GPO's work differently and I figured it out. I had to add the software
    install to the User section instead of the Computer section.

    "Steve Gould" <steve.gould(at)apawood.org> wrote in message
    >I have a strange change in Group Policy that is hurting me bad. I have no
    > idea where the change came from or how to correct it. I am running a
    > Windows
    > 2000 AD and Forest, but one DC is Windows Server 2003. Here is
    > what happened.
    >
    > I am testing deployment of applications in a test OU. I had the
    > applications
    > set to install at first login. I had only 1 application being installed
    > and
    > all worked well. I am not sure exactly when the change occurred (possibly
    > when I installed the new Server 2003 DC?), but I was adding more
    > applications and they no longer installed at first login. The application
    > install option is NOW set to "Auto-install this application by file
    > extension
    > activation " and is grayed out. Now the applications will only install
    > when
    > a file of that extension type is opened. I do NOT want this setting, but I
    > can't find how to go back to my old settings as they are grayed out now.
    > This
    > was NOT the previous setting!
    >
    > PLEASE HELP.
    >
    > Steve

Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Windows