journal wrap error and SYSVOL not shared

I have two domain controllers in an Active Directory domain, one older than
the other. I have SP4 on all servers. This is a child domain. "DC One" was
upgraded from NT4 a year ago and has been functioning well but has a journal
wrap error (with very little free space on the systemroot partition) and the
other "DC Two" was installed as Windows 2000 server and then promoted to a
domain controller but it never actually shared the SYSVOL since replication
did not complete 100% from the original "DC One". Active Directory is
functioning on both but if DC One is down, no one can logon to the domain. I
want to correct the situation but if I try to do a restore on DC One with
BURFLAGS=D2 I am afraid it will not be able to rebuild its database the from
"DC Two" which is not really fully functioning as a domain controller yet. I
set up a test machine to become "DC Three" but I can't dcpromo it. I tested
DNS, I have done all kinds of dcdiag, netdiag, installed frsdiag and sonar,
and have documented all kinds of diagnostic output and I have read
extensively yet nothing tells me whether this is safe to attempt in my
situation. The journal size on the original DC One could still be 32 mb
since it was upgraded from NT4 server and Sonar shows 0 for default and there
is no registry entry for the modified size of 128 mb. What information can I
provide to help determine the best course of action?
Thanks
jb33

> The journal size on the original DC One could still be 32 mb since it was
upgraded from NT4 server and Sonar shows 0 for default and there is no
registry entry for the modified size of 128 mb.

SP4 increased this to 512MB.

You need to free up space on this drive, stop NtFrs and set BURFLAGS to D4,
then restart NtFrs. Once SYSVOL has initialised you should do the same on
the other DC but use the D2 value instead.

> Active Directory is functioning on both but if DC One is down, no one can logon to the domain.

Ensure that both DCs are GCs, both are DNS servers and that **ALL** clients
are pointing to both DCs for DNS.

Try promoting a new DC. If it gives an error, post the error and the last
couple of lines from the dcpromo logfile here. The best solution here is to
get another box up and running and get rid of the old (NT4) box...

--
Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/