Domain Controller Crashed

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Thanks in advance for support.
I had the first dc crash due to hardware failure. Have a backup dc that I
used ntdsutil to seize the fsmo roles to. Appear to have 2 issues that I
have identified. First am unsuccessful at removing the failed dc from AD
using the instructions in Article ID 216498. I have a small single domain
environment and when I get to step 9 which is to select domain number which I
see as 0 I can't get any further. Second is something I noticed trying to
use ghost to image a desktop machine, I can't get authenticated using the
ghost boot diskette. I assume that it has something to do with being unable
to get the backup dc properly promoted. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advance for support.
> I had the first dc crash due to hardware failure. Have a backup dc that I
> used ntdsutil to seize the fsmo roles to. Appear to have 2 issues that I
> have identified. First am unsuccessful at removing the failed dc from AD
> using the instructions in Article ID 216498. I have a small single domain
> environment and when I get to step 9 which is to select domain number
which I
> see as 0 I can't get any further.

You CONNECT to a working DC.

You SELECT the "dead" DC, by:
Select domain
Select the site
Select the server (DC)

> Second is something I noticed trying to
> use ghost to image a desktop machine, I can't get authenticated using the
> ghost boot diskette. I assume that it has something to do with being
unable
> to get the backup dc properly promoted.

Active Directory doesn't have Backup DCs -- unless they are
running NT4 so -- there is NOTHING to promote.

Most authentication problems are really DNS problems
with AD.

> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Check DNS and NTDSUtil "metadata cleanup" for remove.

NTDS metadata cleanup

Search Google for:

[ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain ]

No need to add either site:microsoft.com OR microsoft:
since the NTDS and other terms make it Microsoft specific
by itself.

Unless you WISH to restrict answers to the site:microsoft.com
for some reason.

[ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain site:microsoft.com ]

Key points to NOTE when doing the metadata cleanup:

You CONNECT to a WORKING DC.
You SELECT the missing/dead DC or DOMAIN

'Connect' and 'Select' are technical terms in this context.

DNS for AD
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

netdiag /fix

....or maybe:

dcdiag /fix

(Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
[ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

the metadata cleanup did complete but I'm still having an issue with the
ghost boot floppy. Looking at the registry on the domain controller that i
seized the rolls to, and under the hive
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters
there are several references to the failed/deleted dc. I've rebooted and it
still seems to hang around. How can I get rid of it short of editing the
registry keys?