LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Pulled this from [H]ard|OCP

http://www.hardocp.com

<<<<

Magic 8 Ball sez:
HUGE AMD processor price cuts are coming very soon. An answer to Intel’s soon-to-be released Core 2 processors? You betcha. Real world gameplay analysis of Core 2 vs. Athlon 64 coming very soon. Shows different results than canned benchmarks? You betcha.

>>>>

does conroe have a dirtly lil secret....does AMD have a well kept ace up its sleeves.... this little paragraph reeks of NDA....

any speculation.....

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Pulled this from [H]ard|OCP

<<<<

Magic 8 Ball sez:
HUGE AMD processor price cuts are coming very soon. An answer to Intel’s soon-to-be released Core 2 processors? You betcha. Real world gameplay analysis of Core 2 vs. Athlon 64 coming very soon. Shows different results than canned benchmarks? You betcha.

>>>>

does conroe have a dirtly lil secret....does AMD have a well kept ace up its sleeves.... this little paragraph reeks of NDA....

any speculation.....

Wow. I haven't been to HardOCP in years. Flashback.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
Wait, I thought there was actual information here, but...

You're retarded to put any faith in a 8-ball. I once asked one whether it worked; it told me to try again later.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
AMD price drops have already been mentioned everywhere. And I'm sure AMD has an ace up their sleeve... too bad Intel has the other 3.

Fagaru

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006

any speculation.....

Why are you wasting people's time with this crap post?

It's just a stupid announcement.

Try again when they actually have a posted review.

Idiot.

hmm true...totaly true

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
this may sound fan boy ish.....

i just got a hunch AMD is pulling a fast one.

What have AMD Engineers being doing for the past few years

if you look at the info thats is out now..and ever change roadmap....

they havent done anything.... added a ddr2 controller?

K-9 engineers were pulled off that project...to do what?

Rambus enginneers set up shop at AMD earlier in the year...for what

to play cards

AMD Licensed ZRAM...for what....2010 releases?

something is rotten in DENMARK

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
this may sound fan boy ish.....

i just got a hunch AMD is pulling a fast one.

What have AMD Engineers being doing for the past few years

if you look at the info thats is out now..and ever change roadmap....

they havent done anything.... added a ddr2 controller?

Rambus enginneers set up shop at AMD earlier in the year...for what

to play cards

something is rotten in DENMARK

Dream on...

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
You know designing cpus isn't just all double clicking, doodling fancy pictures and coming up with buzzwords.

It's not? Ah man... all my doodles and clicking gone to waste! Dammit! :(

I'm guessing AMD won't have anything for a year at least and I'm sure they'll something that'll outpace Core 2's best. I mean, it wouldn't make much sense to rival your competition, you gotta go past them.

On the other hand, AMD has been awfully quite as of late.

Oh well, I'll be happy with my AM2 build. Core 2's just aren't at my price range. :)

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
they had no problem making the K8 out of the K7

you mean to tell me the K8L is so difficult to implement that it will take over 4 years to go from K8 to K8L....

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Yeah, I found my answer --- they do not consider low-res game benchmarks as "real-world":

As always, these benchmarks in no way represent real-world gameplay. They are all run at very low resolutions to try our best to remove the video card as a bottleneck. I will not hesitate to say that anyone spouting these types of framerate measurements as a true measuring tool in today’s climate is not servicing your needs or telling you the real truth.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2NSw3LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

My guess is, and this is speculation, they will crank things up to what they called "realworld", show all processors neck and neck (with a P4 falling behind because, well, P4's suck) and say "see, look Core 2 is not as good as you think".

So they do understand that the GPU will throttle the game, but in the same breath say these are not real wold. The question that would then need to be asked.... what processor would you want if you simply upgraded to a super fast GPU? One that is known to peg out slower or one that pegs out faster?

You asked for speculation.... there ya' go.

The solution? Quad SLI. At the highest resolutions it became nVidia vs. ATi on AMD.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
To work on the X2 and Rev F. I believe AMD only had one design team back then which meant that while they were working on K9, very little further development was done on K8. This is why AMD appears to have been doing nothing for the past few years, because their time was spent on K9 didn't really get anywhere which meant they had to start all over again. There were various rumours for K9 including 8 issue core, trace cache implementation, quad cores, high clock speeds all of which weren't easy to implement especially since the time frame meant that they would be producing it on the 90nm process. I believe the X2 ended replacing K9 in it's launch time frame.

While it probably won't be 2010, it won't be 2006 or 2007 either. The deal was just announced this year and Z-RAM obviously wouldn't be incorporated in the 90nm process. It won't be in the initial 65nm process either since that would require redesign. These things don't happen quickly. If you're saying K8L will appear in Q1 2007 then there is no way the design and the production facilities could have already incorporated Z-RAM. If you're saying K8L comes in 2008 or a K8L refresh in 2008, then Z-RAM might be there at that time. Either way, Z-RAM is not going to be a magic solution to Conroe that's going to pop up this month.

xsandman

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Yeah, I found my answer --- they do not consider low-res game benchmarks as "real-world":

As always, these benchmarks in no way represent real-world gameplay. They are all run at very low resolutions to try our best to remove the video card as a bottleneck. I will not hesitate to say that anyone spouting these types of framerate measurements as a true measuring tool in today’s climate is not servicing your needs or telling you the real truth.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2NSw3LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

My guess is, and this is speculation, they will crank things up to what they called "realworld", show all processors neck and neck (with a P4 falling behind because, well, P4's suck) and say "see, look Core 2 is not as good as you think".

So they do understand that the GPU will throttle the game, but in the same breath say these are not real wold. The question that would then need to be asked.... what processor would you want if you simply upgraded to a super fast GPU? One that is known to peg out slower or one that pegs out faster?

You asked for speculation.... there ya' go.

The solution? Quad SLI. At the highest resolutions it became nVidia vs. ATi on AMD.

Here you go giving your opinion as if it is fact. Why not just say ATi vs nVidia? You dont know if quad SLi would be faster on an Intel CPU or AMD CPU, so dont mention the CPU.