I hope someone can help me!

My nephew accidently removed a vital file that I needed from Windows XP
because he called himself cleaning unwanted junk files off of my computer.
He goofed, so I had to install Windows 98, format it, then re-install
Windiws XP on it's the cd so I could get my computer working again. However
in the process, I noticed that I cannot re-download Real Player One, and I do
not have any programs on my All Programs menu like I used to have. Programs
such as Accessories, games, Word, card games, my address book and other vital
prorams that I need and I don't know where to find them or how to put them
back on. I cannot access Word so I cannot type letters which is vital to me
and very necessary.

I am hoping that someone out there can help me with this HUGE problem...
6 answers Last reply
More about hope

    When you formatted and installed W98, you erased all the
    data and programs that were on the hard drive. When you
    installed XP, you must have selected some custom install
    option, such as minimal. You can install the accessories
    and games by using the add software/windows components on
    the control panel.

    As for the addressbook, WORD and other programs, you'll have
    to find the original CDs that came with the computer or buy
    new ones. To make a long story short, you should have asked
    questions before you started major surgery on your computer,
    it is too late now to recover those programs and documents
    unless you are willing to spend a lot of money, since you
    obviously don't have the knowledge to do the job on your
    own.

    Sorry, I don't intend to sound cruel, but you don't have
    many options available. See if you can find some skillful
    help from a local computer club at a college or high school
    or at least get some advice.

    "Bridge43" <Bridge43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | My nephew accidently removed a vital file that I needed
    from Windows XP
    | because he called himself cleaning unwanted junk files
    off of my computer.
    | He goofed, so I had to install Windows 98, format it,
    then re-install
    | Windiws XP on it's the cd so I could get my computer
    working again. However
    | in the process, I noticed that I cannot re-download Real
    Player One, and I do
    | not have any programs on my All Programs menu like I used
    to have. Programs
    | such as Accessories, games, Word, card games, my address
    book and other vital
    | prorams that I need and I don't know where to find them or
    how to put them
    | back on. I cannot access Word so I cannot type letters
    which is vital to me
    | and very necessary.
    |
    | I am hoping that someone out there can help me with this
    HUGE problem...

    A correction on the addressbook, you will have a blank
    addressbook, but your addresses are gone.

    "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    in message news:uCIRx3PqEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    | When you formatted and installed W98, you erased all the
    | data and programs that were on the hard drive. When you
    | installed XP, you must have selected some custom install
    | option, such as minimal. You can install the accessories
    | and games by using the add software/windows components on
    | the control panel.
    |
    | As for the addressbook, WORD and other programs, you'll
    have
    | to find the original CDs that came with the computer or
    buy
    | new ones. To make a long story short, you should have
    asked
    | questions before you started major surgery on your
    computer,
    | it is too late now to recover those programs and documents
    | unless you are willing to spend a lot of money, since you
    | obviously don't have the knowledge to do the job on your
    | own.
    |
    | Sorry, I don't intend to sound cruel, but you don't have
    | many options available. See if you can find some skillful
    | help from a local computer club at a college or high
    school
    | or at least get some advice.
    |

    | --
    | The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    | But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    |

    | "Bridge43" <Bridge43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    | message
    || My nephew accidently removed a vital file that I needed
    | from Windows XP
    || because he called himself cleaning unwanted junk files
    | off of my computer.
    || He goofed, so I had to install Windows 98, format it,
    | then re-install
    || Windiws XP on it's the cd so I could get my computer
    | working again. However
    || in the process, I noticed that I cannot re-download Real
    | Player One, and I do
    || not have any programs on my All Programs menu like I
    used
    | to have. Programs
    || such as Accessories, games, Word, card games, my address
    | book and other vital
    || prorams that I need and I don't know where to find them
    or
    | how to put them
    || back on. I cannot access Word so I cannot type letters
    | which is vital to me
    || and very necessary.
    || I am hoping that someone out there can help me with this
    | HUGE problem...

    To prevent loss in the future, be sure to backup your files and settings to
    cd, dvd, or external hard disk drive.

    In news:22A2EB4A-DA8F-4568-9A19-ABB23E9CB076@microsoft.com,
    Bridge43 <Bridge43@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > My nephew accidently removed a vital file that I needed from
    > Windows
    > XP because he called himself cleaning unwanted junk files off
    > of my
    > computer. He goofed, so I had to install Windows 98, format it,
    > then
    > re-install Windiws XP on it's the cd so I could get my computer
    > working again. However in the process, I noticed that I cannot
    > re-download Real Player One, and I do not have any programs on
    > my
    > All Programs menu like I used to have. Programs such as
    > Accessories,
    > games, Word, card games, my address book and other vital
    > prorams that
    > I need and I don't know where to find them or how to put them
    > back
    > on. I cannot access Word so I cannot type letters which is
    > vital to
    > me and very necessary.

    If you formatted the drive, you deleted *everything* on it. If
    you need programs like Word, you have to reinstall them from the
    original media. If you don't have those CDs, you're out of luck,
    and will need to buy them.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    October 3, 2004

    Off topic, but I noticed that you are a P51 Mustang lover too! What a
    wonderful airplane that was and still is.

    I have never had a chance to fly one, but the King Air 300
    and the Beechjet 400 aren't bad.

    The F8F-2 isn't bad either.

    | October 3, 2004
    |
    | Off topic, but I noticed that you are a P51 Mustang lover
    too! What a
    | wonderful airplane that was and still is.

Windows XP