I hope someone can help me!

October 3, 2004 12:31:02 AM

My nephew accidently removed a vital file that I needed from Windows XP
because he called himself cleaning unwanted junk files off of my computer.
He goofed, so I had to install Windows 98, format it, then re-install
Windiws XP on it's the cd so I could get my computer working again. However
in the process, I noticed that I cannot re-download Real Player One, and I do
not have any programs on my All Programs menu like I used to have. Programs
such as Accessories, games, Word, card games, my address book and other vital
prorams that I need and I don't know where to find them or how to put them
back on. I cannot access Word so I cannot type letters which is vital to me
and very necessary.

I am hoping that someone out there can help me with this HUGE problem...

More about : hope

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 3:03:24 AM

When you formatted and installed W98, you erased all the
data and programs that were on the hard drive. When you
installed XP, you must have selected some custom install
option, such as minimal. You can install the accessories
and games by using the add software/windows components on
the control panel.

As for the addressbook, WORD and other programs, you'll have
to find the original CDs that came with the computer or buy
new ones. To make a long story short, you should have asked
questions before you started major surgery on your computer,
it is too late now to recover those programs and documents
unless you are willing to spend a lot of money, since you
obviously don't have the knowledge to do the job on your
own.

Sorry, I don't intend to sound cruel, but you don't have
many options available. See if you can find some skillful
help from a local computer club at a college or high school
or at least get some advice.

"Bridge43" <Bridge43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| My nephew accidently removed a vital file that I needed
from Windows XP
| because he called himself cleaning unwanted junk files
off of my computer.
| He goofed, so I had to install Windows 98, format it,
then re-install
| Windiws XP on it's the cd so I could get my computer
working again. However
| in the process, I noticed that I cannot re-download Real
Player One, and I do
| not have any programs on my All Programs menu like I used
to have. Programs
| such as Accessories, games, Word, card games, my address
book and other vital
| prorams that I need and I don't know where to find them or
how to put them
| back on. I cannot access Word so I cannot type letters
which is vital to me
| and very necessary.
|
| I am hoping that someone out there can help me with this
HUGE problem...

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 3:14:40 AM

A correction on the addressbook, you will have a blank
addressbook, but your addresses are gone.

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message news:uCIRx3PqEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| When you formatted and installed W98, you erased all the
| data and programs that were on the hard drive. When you
| installed XP, you must have selected some custom install
| option, such as minimal. You can install the accessories
| and games by using the add software/windows components on
| the control panel.
|
| As for the addressbook, WORD and other programs, you'll
have
| to find the original CDs that came with the computer or
buy
| new ones. To make a long story short, you should have
asked
| questions before you started major surgery on your
computer,
| it is too late now to recover those programs and documents
| unless you are willing to spend a lot of money, since you
| obviously don't have the knowledge to do the job on your
| own.
|
| Sorry, I don't intend to sound cruel, but you don't have
| many options available. See if you can find some skillful
| help from a local computer club at a college or high
school
| or at least get some advice.
|

| --
| The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
|

| "Bridge43" <Bridge43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
| message
|| My nephew accidently removed a vital file that I needed
| from Windows XP
|| because he called himself cleaning unwanted junk files
| off of my computer.
|| He goofed, so I had to install Windows 98, format it,
| then re-install
|| Windiws XP on it's the cd so I could get my computer
| working again. However
|| in the process, I noticed that I cannot re-download Real
| Player One, and I do
|| not have any programs on my All Programs menu like I
used
| to have. Programs
|| such as Accessories, games, Word, card games, my address
| book and other vital
|| prorams that I need and I don't know where to find them
or
| how to put them
|| back on. I cannot access Word so I cannot type letters
| which is vital to me
|| and very necessary.
|| I am hoping that someone out there can help me with this
| HUGE problem...

October 3, 2004 3:37:29 AM

To prevent loss in the future, be sure to backup your files and settings to
cd, dvd, or external hard disk drive.

"Bridge43" <Bridge43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My nephew accidently removed a vital file that I needed from Windows XP
> because he called himself cleaning unwanted junk files off of my
> computer.
> He goofed, so I had to install Windows 98, format it, then re-install
> Windiws XP on it's the cd so I could get my computer working again.
> However
> in the process, I noticed that I cannot re-download Real Player One, and I
> do
> not have any programs on my All Programs menu like I used to have.
> Programs
> such as Accessories, games, Word, card games, my address book and other
> vital
> prorams that I need and I don't know where to find them or how to put them
> back on. I cannot access Word so I cannot type letters which is vital to
> me
> and very necessary.
>
> I am hoping that someone out there can help me with this HUGE problem...

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 12:31:13 PM

In news:22A2EB4A-DA8F-4568-9A19-ABB23E9CB076@microsoft.com,
Bridge43 <Bridge43@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> My nephew accidently removed a vital file that I needed from
> Windows
> XP because he called himself cleaning unwanted junk files off
> of my
> computer. He goofed, so I had to install Windows 98, format it,
> then
> re-install Windiws XP on it's the cd so I could get my computer
> working again. However in the process, I noticed that I cannot
> re-download Real Player One, and I do not have any programs on
> my
> All Programs menu like I used to have. Programs such as
> Accessories,
> games, Word, card games, my address book and other vital
> prorams that
> I need and I don't know where to find them or how to put them
> back
> on. I cannot access Word so I cannot type letters which is
> vital to
> me and very necessary.

If you formatted the drive, you deleted *everything* on it. If
you need programs like Word, you have to reinstall them from the
original media. If you don't have those CDs, you're out of luck,
and will need to buy them.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 1:45:04 PM

October 3, 2004

Off topic, but I noticed that you are a P51 Mustang lover too! What a
wonderful airplane that was and still is.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 5:31:04 PM

I have never had a chance to fly one, but the King Air 300
and the Beechjet 400 aren't bad.

The F8F-2 isn't bad either.

news:D 7A57428-A574-4685-905F-CE4FA34CCF9A@microsoft.com...

!