event id 1586 "The checkpoint with the PDC was unsuccessful"

JC

I have just added a new dc(WIN 2000 SP4) to our Domain, Installed DNS and
everything went very smoothly, no errors what so ever.
It was the 4th DC added to the Network, it automatically created NTDS
Settings to 2 of the other DC's(DC2 and DC3...is schema master). I manually
created a NTDS Setting to the PDC , since I was receving this error . The
second reason I created this Connection was because this DC No.4 will soon
replace the existing PDC emulator (DC1).

DNS is installed on DC4 as active directory integrated and allow dynamic
updates.
I can see this DC under DNS ..._msdcs
In TCP/IP Properties DC4 is pointing to DC1 as primary DNS, and to it self
as secondary.
File and print sharing , as well as client for MS networks has been installed.
Netdiag "dns" test passes just fine (on all dc's)
I also checked Active Directory Replication status(through support tools)
on DC1 and DC4 and it shows that everything is being replicated to DC4 and
every other DC just fine.
Then where lies the problem .... .No other errors in event log.

Thank You
JC.

> I manually created a NTDS Setting to the PDC , since I was receving this
> error . The second reason I created this Connection was because this DC
> No.4 will soon replace the existing PDC emulator (DC1).

No need to do this ordinarily, but I assume this is in regards to 269417?
In which case fine, but remember --the KCCs know best.

Do you actually have any BDCs? Is there actually anything stopping you from
going up to Native Mode?

--
Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

JC

Thank You for your reply, yes I did follow that article and created the NTDS
Connection. I have no Win NT Servers, but I guess before I joined here they
did have NT 4.0.
Do you think going to Win 2000 Native mode will solve the issue ?

Thx
J C.

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> > I manually created a NTDS Setting to the PDC , since I was receving this
> > error . The second reason I created this Connection was because this DC
> > No.4 will soon replace the existing PDC emulator (DC1).
>
> No need to do this ordinarily, but I assume this is in regards to 269417?
> In which case fine, but remember --the KCCs know best.
>
> Do you actually have any BDCs? Is there actually anything stopping you from
> going up to Native Mode?
>
> --
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/

I don't know if it will or not. This error makes me think there's a BDC
somewhere. If that isn't the case, then there's no reason not to go to
Native mode.

--
Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/