User profiles on a remote file server

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 8, 2005 1:33:04 PM

I have a machine i want to port over to windows and make a domain
> controller. However it does not posses enough hard disk space to
> hold profiles. Can i tell the domain controller to store the
> profiles on a separate file server?
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 9:46:16 AM

If you are referring to the roaming profiles for users then the answer is
yes.

If you are referring to the profiles on the local machine that are used by
yourself and other admins who logon then the answer is no. However, you
could use a mandatory roaming profile and configure a GPO to delete the
local copies of the roaming profile(s) upon logoff --this would be
reasonably efficient with disk space and would not leave lots of profiles on
the box --even if people logged on without mandatory profiles.

--
Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/
April 9, 2005 9:27:02 PM

Let me further clarify. I want my users profiles that would be normally
stored on the DC tob e stored on a remote fle server. The option to
automatically the users profiles from their workstation when they logoff
sounds great too. I am a Windows server Newb so if you could post links or
hand-hold me on how both of these options are setup would be great.

Let me give you a link to my current network:

http://www.emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com/img/network.j...

Joshua is going to be turned into a win2k(maybe 2k3) server AD Domain
controller. I want the user profile data it would normally store on it's
hard drive to be stored on the machine enoch(which is my file server).

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> If you are referring to the roaming profiles for users then the answer is
> yes.
>
> If you are referring to the profiles on the local machine that are used by
> yourself and other admins who logon then the answer is no. However, you
> could use a mandatory roaming profile and configure a GPO to delete the
> local copies of the roaming profile(s) upon logoff --this would be
> reasonably efficient with disk space and would not leave lots of profiles on
> the box --even if people logged on without mandatory profiles.
>
> --
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 10:13:58 PM

There's a slight misconception here I think.

When a user logs onto a machine (any machine - workstation, server,
whatever) for the first time then that user will either download his or her
roaming profile, or if they are not configured to use roaming profiles, have
a new local profile created based on the default profile that is on every
machine.

If you wish for the user(s) to keep their settings, but cleanup the profiles
directory after they logoff then what you need to do is store the profiles
on a file server, and implement a GPO to delete the profiles at logoff.

CONFIGURING ROAMING PROFILES

Create a folder on your file server and share it.
Copy the users current profile to a sub folder of this share which is the
same as their username. Check the permissions are OK.
Open the users properties Window (in ADU&C) and configure their profile to
point to \\server\share\%username%

CONFIGURING THE GPO

The following setting is what you are after:
Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ System\ User Profiles\
Delete cached copies of roaming profiles

Configure a GPO based on the scope that you require. As you are going to
test this first (I say so <g>) then create a new OU, move the users computer
into this OU, and right-click on the OU, choose properties, group policy,
new -name it, and then edit.

--
Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/