Account Operator Group

I am trying to allow the account operator group manage some user accounts
but the rights that I have been granting them seem to disappear after about
an hour.

The users are not domain admins,they are however server operators. Would
their membership in this group prevent them from being managed by the
account operator group?

What you are seeing is designed and expected behaviour --it is to do with
Protected Groups and the adminSDHolder object. Have a look at this article
for more information:
-- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/38/46/

--
Paul Williams