Sign in with
Your question

Few questions and concerns about Vista

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2006 3:40:36 AM

Im thinking of moving up from Windows MCE to Vista. Im pretty sure that my computer can handle vista, but i just want some good background professional advice. Also, does anyone know how much vista will cost and when will it come out. Heres my computer specs:

Dual MSI 7900GTXs(in SLi)
Corsair value select DDR2 PC3200 2GB
X-fi xtrememusic
Asus Physix Accelerator card(not in computer, in bag/box/ to prevent dust an heat, kept near a fan)
NZXT Nemesis Case Elite Edition
2 NZXT 120mm/1 thermaltake 80mm
maxtor 300GB Hdd
July 13, 2006 3:50:35 AM

Right now, Vista's release date is set at sometime in January '07. When Vista comes out, consider grabbing an extra 2GB of ram... it's going to be a ram hog. I'm not sure about Vista's pricing at this point, someone else might know though.
July 13, 2006 4:28:08 AM

There will be numerous versions of Vista, 6 I think, and final pricing is not set.
Related resources
July 13, 2006 5:05:39 AM

I bet it will be at least $200 when it first comes out!
July 13, 2006 5:53:40 AM

Quote:
Right now, Vista's release date is set at sometime in January '07. When Vista comes out, consider grabbing an extra 2GB of ram... it's going to be a ram hog. I'm not sure about Vista's pricing at this point, someone else might know though.

With a strong possibility of being pushed back again, possibly Q2 or Q3 07.
July 13, 2006 8:38:04 AM

the ultimute version will probly be quite expensive at launch.
free download though :wink:
July 13, 2006 9:21:52 AM

Quote:
the ultimute version will probly be quite expensive at launch.
free download though :wink:

if microsofts past history is anything to go by, even when it comes out it'll be buggy as £u$&, i'd wait at least 6 months before considering it and more likely i'd wait a year, so they have a chance to get a couple of service packs out.

Theres no way i'm paying for what will probably be nothing more then a gloryfied beta!
July 13, 2006 11:30:31 AM

Seriously, chill out about Vista.

The release date is still so far off that it's very likely to slip again. Microsoft haven't announced a pricing structure yet, so anything you get told is likely to be pure speculation.

The release of Vista has been so delayed now that it's perfectly clear that they've got problems with it. Anyone who buys it on the first day is being incredibly brave if they're planning to use it as their primary (or god forbid, sole) operating system.

We'll know a lot more about Vista's actual release date and pricing later this year, but I'd personally give it a wide berth until at least summer 2007, by which time the inital bugs should have been ironed out, and stable drivers should be available. And that's assuming it gets released on time!

XP is doing a pretty decent job for most people, so there isn't a huge rush to move to Vista (unlike the desparation we all had to bin Windows 95). The main appeal of Vista is DX10, but we haven't even got the cards yet!
July 13, 2006 12:42:57 PM

Quote:
AMD X2 4800 (s939) oc'ed 2.6
Asus A8n-Sli
Aspire 680W Beast
Dual MSI 7900GTXs(in SLi)
Corsair value select DDR2 PC3200 2GB
X-fi xtrememusic
Asus Physix Accelerator card(not in computer, in bag/box/ to prevent dust an heat, kept near a fan)
NZXT Nemesis Case Elite Edition
2 NZXT 120mm/1 thermaltake 80mm
maxtor 300GB Hdd

What are you worried about dude? Your system is more than powerful enough to run Vista. 2GB of RAM is fine and your processor and video cards are more than enough. I've run every version of Vista since Beta 1 at work and on machines far more low spec than that. It wasn't fun but we ran it on a 3.0GHz P4 with 512MB RAM and Intel 945 integrated graphics. It could still do the Aeroglass effects though.

The 32-bit version is shaping up nicely and the RAM usage is going down with every new build (not to say its still not using a ton of RAM compared to XP). However the 64-bit version is still having on the order of 800MB of RAM usage + a 800-900MB page file. Thats with a 3.0GHz P4, 2GB of RAM, and a 256MB x700 too.

Remember though it is still a beta though and theres a lot of debug code in there thats burning RAM. I expect the RAM usage to go down a decent amount in both versions but still be a little high. Its more that page file I'm worried about.

Oh and actually (for people like Llamaman. love the sig btw) its been very stable and I have yet to BSoD. Even the new "load drivers without rebooting" thing seems to work.
July 13, 2006 1:34:43 PM

The more I hear about the price and the delays, the more it occurs to me that I can get Ubuntu for free if I am brave enough to wade into the waters of linux. That being said I want my computer to be able to play games so I will very likely be updating sooner or later. Also about this Directx 10, will it not work on current cards?
July 13, 2006 1:41:21 PM

It will be like any other situation where your card does not support new features. Games that use DX10 and you only have a DX9 card, you will be able to play the game, just not get the DX10 features. Same as if you have say a Geforce 4 Ti4800 still. You can play DX9 games, you just don't get the DX9 features.
July 13, 2006 2:09:36 PM

Right. On my previous machine, an Inspiron 2600 with Intel Extreme (YUCK!) graphics, I could play Halo and UT2003/2004, but I couldn't see all the DX9 effects. I think it had support for up to DirectX 7, maybe 8. I don't think it ever said which versions of DX it could fully support.

Microsoft made a statement a little while ago that they wouldn't support OpenGL, but then everybody got so upset over it that Microsoft retracted it and will implement OpenGL in Vista. Just like .avi support in XP...
July 13, 2006 2:32:35 PM

Yea ive thought about getting another 2GB of ram, if i get vista. Ill probably wait about a month or two after it comes out to get it, mostly so theres reviews on it, and to find out if theres any bugs or not. It'll probably be worth it in the long run, but until the DX10 cards come out, i dont see many gamers looking forward to getting it. Anyways thanks for the help guys, You gurus do it again.
July 13, 2006 2:40:24 PM

The main concern I have for vista is the integrated DRM and Trusted Computing stuff, where you have to get hardware that is compatable with the TC stuff, like mice, keyboards, monitors. Because so much piracy goes on through the monitor cable.
With the way things are looking now if you do something, run a program, download a file, etc that MS doesn't like your computer will stop working. What we saw with the WGA stuff is a small taste with what we'll see in the future.

I like to be able to do what I want with my computer, not what some large corporation wants me to do with my computer. Which is one reason I move from windows to linux.
July 13, 2006 3:39:24 PM

Quote:

I like to be able to do what I want with my computer, not what some large corporation wants me to do with my computer. Which is one reason I move from windows to linux.

....what do u do with ur computer?? :wink: ....just kiding, i agrie with u 100% , I think that vista will be the most "controling" best looking crap that microsoft came up with........just my opinion, sory(hope this wont start flaming :wink: ).

btw i heard that if someone gets a dx10 card it might not work with windows xp, is that true? ( I know some functions wil not be suported because of the lack of 10 dx), but will that mean that the system wont work at all (because the diference in shaders, the unified models?)

i was planing to build a new system using a dx10 card, core 2 duo, 2 gigs of ram, and I was planing to get a windows XP Home edition OEM version of OS, and then in about a year or 2 from vistas release i would upgrade to vista if i would like what i c, but now that i have heard abotu that dx10 and win xp issue im a bit woried.
July 13, 2006 9:03:33 PM

I do my school work, surf the internet, Watch movies, do a bit of graphical work, play neverwinter nights, encode and listen to music. I do the basic computer stuff.

I am not a huge gamer but there are some amazingly cool games for linux, quite a few of them are built of the old Id engines that have been open sourced. But I think 3D scorched earth is fun, some of the racing games are pretty fun and 3D mini golf and billiards are a blast. There aren't many popular games for linux because the developers don't think there is a market for them, but from what I have seen is if developers made games for linux people would buy them.

I like the way Bioware did their linux port for NWN you buy the game and then down load the linux client and copy the game files into a folder with the client and your good to go.

If you want a pretty look desktop XGL is really cool and has more wow features than I have seen in Vista. One thing I like about XGL is that you can use the ones you like and turn off the ones you don't. I don't know if you can do that with Vista so I can't really say if it's an advantage or not.

The main thing I like about linux, and why I put of with some of the little quirks is that MS is no longer incharge of my computer, I can make my computer look how I want it to, If there is a bug or problem in something and the distributor is not doing anything about it I can do something about it. I can give a copy to my friends and family with out breaking the law, I can change what ever I like about it to suit my purposes.

I like being in control of my computer, even though there are some limitations and a slight learning curve.
July 13, 2006 9:09:29 PM

i agrie, thats why i was thinking about maby geting linux on the pc that im using now later on when ill build a new one, just for now i dont want to "screw" up this pc, by learning how to use linux, its my oly one for now. but later on i wouldnt have any issues with doing it.
July 14, 2006 2:37:17 PM

I would recommend getting a live cd/dvd which will allow you to use linux without changing your hard drive at all. Ubuntu, Pclinux, Suse, Knoppix, DSL, and lots more all offer one. You can test it out, learn how to use it, and if you like it and it works with you hardware many of these offer an installer from the desktop and you can keep doing your work while its installing.
July 14, 2006 2:51:45 PM

im not shoor if i got u right but will it be like using 2 operating systemsn at once? so i could use windoes xp, and also linux? or i got it all confused?
July 14, 2006 3:16:03 PM

No, you put the cd in the computer restart and boot from the cd, then the OS will boot and run from cd/memory. Not touching the hard drive unless you tell it to. It is really cool. A very good way to learn linux without worrying about problems with losing info having to wait for the install to finish.

Two of my favorites are PClinuOS and Kubuntu. These both use the KDE desktop, if you would like to see Gnome check Ubuntu out.

Have fun.
July 14, 2006 4:44:32 PM

wow, awsome, thank You very much for the information, I wil definitevly check it out, btw ...so its posible to put that on a flash drive as well right? i have a 512 mb flash drive and a 2gb one also, how much space do those mentioned above versions take up?

thx again for the information
July 14, 2006 5:41:15 PM

Yeah you can put them on a flash disk, all the ones I linked to have a live cd so it's less than 700 mb, if you want really small get DSL it's 50 mb.

One advantage of using a flash disk is that you have read/write access so you can save setting, files, etc.

You also don't need to buy a new licence if you want to use it on a different computer.
July 14, 2006 6:24:04 PM

sweet, thx :)  , aprecieate all the info
!