Can water be mixed with Ethylene Glycol?

Mondoman

Splendid
Most car coolants use ethylene glycol as their antifreeze component; however, car coolants have lots of other additives, mostly to minimize corrosion at the very high temps found in engines, and between the dissimilar metals in most modern engines. They also often have scouring agents like silica to minimize deposits, but which also increase component wear.
Thus, I wouldn't use car coolant in a computer cooling system.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
It will mix.... its NOT like water and oil....

Ethylene glycol is just the main chemical in Car Anti- Freze. Just dont mix it with your drinks.....

They say it has a lube effect for the pump, and it can raise the pH to above neutral thus prevents corrosion of copper water blocks.

Some people use the car style anti freeze, I just purchase pure ethylene glycol from Sigma Chemicals... I dont trust the additives that they use in car anti-freeze because it introduces too many unknown dyes and ions.

Adding too much will dull the preformance of your water cooling setup because ethylene glycol cant take and absorb heat as well as pure water it is also more viscous thus reduces the "flow rate" of your loop.

I find that the 10% or so is a good enough conc, I doubt at these concentrations it has an antimicrobial effect so you will have to find an anti microbial agent aswell.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
dont forget to check for electrolisis
use a volt meter
should less than .5 volts
electrolisis eats up hoses aluminium heads intakes
and even cast iron parts as well
but it takes some time

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I dont have a volt meter.....

do you find that conductivity increases over time??? ie the water picks up chage from the water block??

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
it probably isnt as bad in a cooling sys
for a computer.
but a.s.e. came out with a tsb
some years ago to check the current in a cooling sys
of automobiles.

but automobiles have multiple grounding points on the
engine.

so im just saying when someone goes to maintain
their cooling sys on a comp to check the coolant for voltage