"sieze" Global Catalog

Hi,
I've searched for over an hour and cannot find this info.

What do you do when a multi DC domain has a SINGLE GC and the GC server fails?

I know, they should have had 2 GC's as soon as they made a second DC, but
they didn't. So, the only GC failed, I need to create a GC.

MS support Article ID: 842208 looked promising, but stops short of resolving
my problem.

I know about seizing FSMO's, but the GC is not an FSMO (but should be if
it's required).

Also, I noticed that soeone tried to promote some of the other DC's to hold
the GC role, but these promotions keep failing because there is no GC to
replicate from.

The users of the domain have all the functionality they are used to. I
found out about the GC being unavailable after being contracted to install MS
Exchange
Server and I cannot install Exchange until I get AD ironed out.

And, I don't get paid till I install Exchange ;^P

Thanks for the great forum

Hi,

D'ont know if its similar to my experience in the thread -
"Help: One and only global catalog DC down. 5 FSMO on 1st site DC
working."

But I was able to enable the 1st DC in the domain as GC when the only
GC in DC2 crashed.

The AD is just a single domain without child domain though....

See tip 3294 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com for using a GUI to make additional GCs.
and tip 7370 to do it from the command-line or script.

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 07:27:02 -0700, "NH-MCSE" <NH-MCSE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I've searched for over an hour and cannot find this info.
>
>What do you do when a multi DC domain has a SINGLE GC and the GC server fails?
>
>I know, they should have had 2 GC's as soon as they made a second DC, but
>they didn't. So, the only GC failed, I need to create a GC.
>
>MS support Article ID: 842208 looked promising, but stops short of resolving
>my problem.
>
>I know about seizing FSMO's, but the GC is not an FSMO (but should be if
>it's required).
>
>Also, I noticed that soeone tried to promote some of the other DC's to hold
>the GC role, but these promotions keep failing because there is no GC to
>replicate from.
>
>The users of the domain have all the functionality they are used to. I
>found out about the GC being unavailable after being contracted to install MS
>Exchange
>Server and I cannot install Exchange until I get AD ironed out.
>
>And, I don't get paid till I install Exchange ;^P
>
>Thanks for the great forum

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

The GC is not seized - it is built. Therefore if you have no GCs you can
still make a DC a GC - it will just replicate the necessary information. In
a single domain forest there's not even any replication.
-- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/25/47/

--
Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/