PRICE ALERT!!

G

What the hell happened to all the prices of LCDs. I looked today and noticed the VG191 shot from 936 dollars to around 1200 dollars (U.S.). This is the same for every online store I can look up. What the hell happened????

Jack Burton is a great man...

G

This happened with every LCD I can find except Samsung's and a few others. WTF is going on??

G

It's not just Viewsonic though Flame. It happened to every LCD I looked up, even Samsung's now. And it just happened. I did a refresh on the Samsung LCD's and all the numbers just jumped up. WTF?

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
the price go up and down quite a bit, but according to article I read, the price of lcd panel will go up for the rest of the year, seem like the supply is not able to meet the demand of both the laptop and desktop lcd panel which is becoming populor! and according to industry report, the demand been growing at 10 percent a month!!!!

so I think if you see a good price, you might as well get it, the price should be going up instead of down for the rest of the year

G

It JUST went up though, and 200 dollars. That's a steep rise. I don't think I'll be getting an LCD this summer now...

G

Well, I emailed a lot of LCD manuf's, so I hope to get an answer from at least one of them as to the reason why of this sudden increase. I bet there will be a website that posts this on their front page not too long from now...

G

Many of the manufacturers were selling their panels at near-loss prices (along with big rebates on many of the smaller panels - go figure). This was done because they could not sell the panels at the normal prices, but when they dropped the prices many people were willing to buy (fueling the demand you mentioned). It was apparent that the manufacturers could not continue selling products at those prices forever, and now we are probably seeing the upturn starting in order to curb the market before it gets even more out of hand.

I guess we'll see. :)

G

Now this is odd....not only did LCD's go up, but I looked a little more at some sites. HD's, Raid Controllers, CD-RW drives, PC Cases and more, all rose in price. What the hell happened over night?

G

Inflation overnight?? That's a new one on me. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
This was predicted a couple months ago due to supply/demand ratio and shortage of glass for LCD's. Personally, I felt they weren't really worth the premium before, and this makes it even worse.

G

I wonder when they figure out that demand will go down now due to the price increase and that they will (sooner or later) have to lower the price again if they are to compete against CRT's.

G

I had been expecting this. There was an article out in several publications stating that LCD prices were about to take a huge price hit. The reason is that the industry expected a large pick up at this time and produced a TON of LCDs. The problem was that since the economy slowed down, there was a glut of LCDs out there. To stimulate buying, LCD makers dropped prices considerably AND slowed down their production of LCDs. All of a sudden people started buying the hell out of them, and there has now become a shortage of LCDs. Thus, the price has shot up.

That's why I was hell-bent on getting my LCD before March. Most publications stated that the shortage would start in the spring and continue through the summer. However, by summer a ton more LCDs will be produced and the market will take a dip again. That's how it fluxuates.

I also watch the prices of other hardware. Prices for memory has remained the same, prices for hard disks has continued to go lower, prices on monitors have gone up, prices on motherboards and CPU's are stable (other than versions outmoded by new releases which have gone down), prices for network products went up slightly but are still low, prices on printers is low and staying low.

If you have sticker shock on any stuff, check out NEWEGG.COM. GREAT ordering location and great prices.

Ron

G

I just picked up a HP Deskjet 960c and am very pleased with it. I attached it to my SMC router/switch/printserver and it works flawlessly (for those who care). I got the 960c because it has good quality printing, albiet a tad slow, but mostly because it incorporates the print head in the ink cartridge. That means that when you replace the ink cartridge, you replace the entire print head at the same time! It's slightly more expensive to do that than say an Epson printer that doesn't do it, but it guarantees the same good print quality every time it prints. My Epson Color 800 previously would have problems with the print nozzle getting clogged and I finally gave up trying to keep it printing well. The 960c is WAY better in my opinion, although the print cartridge being more expensive might turn some people off. Tom had a great article which discussed this in his printer section. But for $140, I'm really happy with it.

Ron

G

Hmmm...it was newegg that raised the prices on other things rather than the LCD's. I was watching the prices slowly on HD's, CD-RW's, and Raid Controllers. They went up a bit. Aw well, seeing as I am waiting anyhow, I guess it doesn't make much difference right now.

G

But the new 120 gig 8 meg buffer drive dropped from like $280 to $250. I, of course, got it at $280. ;) But that's what I was gauging it on.

Ron

G

VG191 can still be had for under $1000. So it went up $60 since I got mine in December. For once I was on the right side of the market! We are so used to have electronics prices only going one way we just didn't believe them when they said prices would go up!
But they did say that, and in several places too. With the economy and the tech sector picking up the prices may not come down again as fast as you might like either...
LCD's got a real boost from the slump, and demand might well satisfy higher pricing for a while.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

G

Show me where the VG191 can be purchased for under 1000 dollars. At mwave it's 1200 now. Same with newegg. I have done many searches and found a few where it's under, but I'm sure the hell not going to buy from those places as they are not very reputable.

G

When I searched yesterday there were still a couple of places below that mark. I note today the lowest price is 1100+. What can I say - that's the price of shopping endlessly. Sometimes the more you wait the further away it gets...

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

G

www.pricewatch.com says that the cheapest VG191 that it knows of is $1150 from Knowledgemicro.com (who I'd never use). That's as cheap as I could find it.

Ron