It's Official: Justice Department Approves Merger

Last response: in Network Providers
a b F Wireless
October 25, 2004 11:59:33 PM

Monday October 25, 3:26 pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. antitrust authorities on Monday approved
Cingular Wireless' plan to acquire rival AT&T Wireless Services Inc. for
$41 billion in cash, creating the nation's biggest wireless carrier.

The Justice Department said it will not oppose the deal on the condition
that the No. 2 and No. 3 wireless companies sell assets in 13 markets in
11 states.

The assets to be divested are in Connecticut, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky,
Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee and
Texas, the department said.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 26, 2004 12:11:04 AM

In <jzwick3-730C54.14590725102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 25 Oct
2004 19:59:33 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Monday October 25, 3:26 pm ET
>
>WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. antitrust authorities on Monday approved
>Cingular Wireless' plan to acquire rival AT&T Wireless Services Inc. for
>$41 billion in cash, creating the nation's biggest wireless carrier.
>
>The Justice Department said it will not oppose the deal on the condition
>that the No. 2 and No. 3 wireless companies sell assets in 13 markets in
>11 states.
>
>The assets to be divested are in Connecticut, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky,
>Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee and
>Texas, the department said.

The open question is whether the size of such divestitures would trigger
Cingular's option to walk from the deal (or whether Cingular would decide to
go ahead with fewer divestitures and take the risk of litigation).
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 26, 2004 12:33:49 AM

In <jzwick3-C990D7.15043125102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 25 Oct
2004 20:04:57 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>more detailed stories:
>
><http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo/story.asp?source=b...
>oo&dist=yhoo&guid=%7B6959D7F3%2DB7D4%2D4FAE%2DB639%2D904B777D6F10%7D>
>
><http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/10012007....;

Registration required -- no thanks.

See instead:
<http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/2004/10/25/ap160854...;

a b F Wireless
October 26, 2004 5:58:50 PM

In article <s5dfd.1047$_3.18000@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> The open question is whether the size of such divestitures would trigger
> Cingular's option to walk from the deal (or whether Cingular would decide to
> go ahead with fewer divestitures and take the risk of litigation).

Cingular agreed to the divestures. That's why Justice approved the
takeover.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 26, 2004 7:26:10 PM

In <jzwick3-56D6D8.08582526102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Tue, 26 Oct
2004 13:58:50 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <s5dfd.1047$_3.18000@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> The open question is whether the size of such divestitures would trigger
>> Cingular's option to walk from the deal (or whether Cingular would decide to
>> go ahead with fewer divestitures and take the risk of litigation).
>
>Cingular agreed to the divestures. That's why Justice approved the
>takeover.

The deal is not yet done since neither the FCC nor the Court have yet spoken.
Thus greater divestiture might still be required.

<quibble> The approval of the DOJ is conditional on the divestitures, not any
agreement. </quibble>

a b F Wireless
October 26, 2004 7:54:04 PM

In article <m0ufd.1155$_3.19716@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <jzwick3-56D6D8.08582526102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Tue, 26 Oct
> 2004 13:58:50 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <s5dfd.1047$_3.18000@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The open question is whether the size of such divestitures would trigger
> >> Cingular's option to walk from the deal (or whether Cingular would decide
> >> go ahead with fewer divestitures and take the risk of litigation).
> >
> >Cingular agreed to the divestures. That's why Justice approved the
> >takeover.
>
> The deal is not yet done since neither the FCC nor the Court have yet spoken.
> Thus greater divestiture might still be required.
>
> <quibble> The approval of the DOJ is conditional on the divestitures, not
> any
> agreement. </quibble>

But Cingular has agreed, and an agreement document has been filed in
Court, unknown to you apparently.

The only thing I can imagine that could stop the Buy Out now is if Navas
filed suit against it, complaining that Cingular agreed to the
divestiture stipulations without telling him.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 26, 2004 8:53:25 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellvlar.cingvlar - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <jzwick3-246882.10542426102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Tve, 26 Oct
2004 15:54:04 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <m0vfd.1155$_3.19716@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgrovp.com> wrote:

>> <qvibble> The approval of the DOJ is conditional on the divestitvres, not
>> any agreement. </qvibble>
>
>Bvt Cingvlar has agreed, and an agreement docvment has been filed in
>Covrt, vnknown to yov apparently.

The Covrt has not yet approved the deal.

>The only thing I can imagine that covld stop the Bvy Ovt now is if Navas
>filed svit against it, complaining that Cingvlar agreed to the
>divestitvre stipvlations withovt telling him.

The remaining hvrdles are objections from competitors and from pvblic interest
grovps (e.g., Consvmers Union and the Consvmer Federation of America).

John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingvlar&gt;
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 27, 2004 12:14:12 AM

> In <jzwick3-56D6D8.08582526102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Tue, 26 Oct
> 2004 13:58:50 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <s5dfd.1047$_3.18000@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The open question is whether the size of such divestitures would
trigger
> >> Cingular's option to walk from the deal (or whether Cingular would
decide to
> >> go ahead with fewer divestitures and take the risk of litigation).
> >
> >Cingular agreed to the divestures. That's why Justice approved the
> >takeover.
>
> The deal is not yet done since neither the FCC nor the Court have yet
spoken.
> Thus greater divestiture might still be required.

Then you'll need to explain the Cingular banner that tops the old AWE
website.

> <quibble> The approval of the DOJ is conditional on the divestitures, not
any
> agreement. </quibble>

But the approval was given (conditionally or not) based on an agreement to
divest.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 27, 2004 12:49:58 AM

John Navas wrote:

> In <jzwick3-730C54.14590725102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 25 Oct
> 2004 19:59:33 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

>>Monday October 25, 3:26 pm ET
>>
>>WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. antitrust authorities on Monday approved
>>Cingular Wireless' plan to acquire rival AT&T Wireless Services Inc. for
>>$41 billion in cash, creating the nation's biggest wireless carrier.
>>
>>The Justice Department said it will not oppose the deal on the condition
>>that the No. 2 and No. 3 wireless companies sell assets in 13 markets in
>>11 states.
>>
>>The assets to be divested are in Connecticut, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky,
>>Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee and
>>Texas, the department said.
>

> The open question is whether the size of such divestitures would trigger
> Cingular's option to walk from the deal (or whether Cingular would decide to
> go ahead with fewer divestitures and take the risk of litigation).

Considering the company wide email that went out today, i don't think
cingular's going to be pulling out of the deal.
October 27, 2004 11:14:25 AM

cambie wrote:

> Considering the company wide email that went out today, i don't think
> cingular's going to be pulling out of the deal.

Which company? Perhaps you're referring to the Navas Group / Zwick LLC
merger? I got that same email but the NavasZwicky Clonebots PAC are
prompting shareholders to forego their weekly sperm bank donations until
the FCC, DOJ, DEA, FBI, CIA, NSA, and EEU have all approved the merger.

-Gary
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 27, 2004 11:23:31 AM

In <YNadndGEL7vOmeLcRVn-2Q@adelphia.com> on Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:14:12 -0600,
"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

>> The deal is not yet done since neither the FCC nor the Court have yet spoken.
>> Thus greater divestiture might still be required.
>
>Then you'll need to explain the Cingular banner that tops the old AWE
>website.

Cingular is simply taking the risk that the Court will bless the deal.

<http://www.forbes.com/associatedpress/feeds/ap/2004/10/...;

The Justice Department was joined in the court settlement by the
states of Texas and Connecticut. A JUDGE STILL MUST SIGN OFF ON THE
AGREEMENT. [emphasis added]

>> <quibble> The approval of the DOJ is conditional on the divestitures, not any
>> agreement. </quibble>
>
>But the approval was given (conditionally or not) based on an agreement to
>divest.

Was there a point there?

a b F Wireless
October 27, 2004 11:24:37 AM

In <DrSdnRrz-KFCY-PcRVn-tA@giganews.com> on Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:49:58 -0500,
cambie <none@provided.com> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:

>> The open question is whether the size of such divestitures would trigger
>> Cingular's option to walk from the deal (or whether Cingular would decide to
>> go ahead with fewer divestitures and take the risk of litigation).
>
>Considering the company wide email that went out today, i don't think
>cingular's going to be pulling out of the deal.

I agree, now that I've seen the FCC position.

a b F Wireless
October 28, 2004 1:01:56 AM

> In <YNadndGEL7vOmeLcRVn-2Q@adelphia.com> on Tue, 26 Oct 2004
20:14:12 -0600,
> "Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>
> >> The deal is not yet done since neither the FCC nor the Court have yet
spoken.
> >> Thus greater divestiture might still be required.
> >
> >Then you'll need to explain the Cingular banner that tops the old AWE
> >website.
>
> Cingular is simply taking the risk that the Court will bless the deal.

According to who? You? Your 'expertise' here is highly suspect, John.
Having dealt with cellular acquisitions, divestitures and the beginnings of
a new merger, I'll forgive your naive approach to this. You keep whining
about the courts when you know damn well there is nothing left for the
partis involved to do here. The merger is complete.

> <http://www.forbes.com/associatedpress/feeds/ap/2004/10/...;
>
> The Justice Department was joined in the court settlement by the
> states of Texas and Connecticut. A JUDGE STILL MUST SIGN OFF ON THE
> AGREEMENT. [emphasis added]
>
> >> <quibble> The approval of the DOJ is conditional on the divestitures,
not any
> >> agreement. </quibble>
> >
> >But the approval was given (conditionally or not) based on an agreement
> >divest.
>
> Was there a point there?

Much more of a point than you made- you are selectively choosing your sound
bytes in this- makes you seem a little bitter and very uninformed
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 29, 2004 12:55:50 AM

In <XvednX1kjvFn_R3cRVn-1Q@adelphia.com> on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:01:56 -0600,
"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

>> Cingular is simply taking the risk that the Court will bless the deal.
>
>According to who?

The law.

>You? Your 'expertise' here is highly suspect, John.
>Having dealt with cellular acquisitions, divestitures and the beginnings of
>a new merger, I'll forgive your naive approach to this.

I'd be willing to bet that I've done more M&A work than you have. :)

>You keep whining
>about the courts when you know damn well there is nothing left for the
>partis involved to do here. The merger is complete.

The transaction has closed, but is still subject to Court approval, which, as
a matter of law, won't occur before the end of the 60 day comment period.
While the Court is unlikely to intervene, it is nonetheless possible. Thus
there is risk, but only a small risk, that Cingular has elected to accept.

>> <http://www.forbes.com/associatedpress/feeds/ap/2004/10/...;
>>
>> The Justice Department was joined in the court settlement by the
>> states of Texas and Connecticut. A JUDGE STILL MUST SIGN OFF ON THE
>> AGREEMENT. [emphasis added]

And that's a fact.

a b F Wireless
October 29, 2004 9:10:58 PM

Gary wrote:
> cambie wrote:
>
>> Considering the company wide email that went out today, i don't think
>> cingular's going to be pulling out of the deal.
>

> Which company? Perhaps you're referring to the Navas Group / Zwick LLC
> merger? I got that same email but the NavasZwicky Clonebots PAC are
> prompting shareholders to forego their weekly sperm bank donations until
> the FCC, DOJ, DEA, FBI, CIA, NSA, and EEU have all approved the merger.
>
> -Gary

SBC
!