Why can't I Drag and Drop?

All of a sudden, I find that I am unable to drag and drop into my quick
launch or any other folder. I have not changed any settings to my knowlege. I
am logged on as an administrator. I tried to change the properties on the
quick launch folder from read only and when I go back to view if it took, it
is back to read only?
6 answers Last reply
More about drag drop

    Hmmmm....I will answer this one myself...I figured I would reboot and try it
    again. Guess what? It now allows me to drag and drop again. Not sure what
    caused this to happen, but guess it has been a while since I rebooted and
    this was the cause.

    "RHALL1" wrote:

    > All of a sudden, I find that I am unable to drag and drop into my quick
    > launch or any other folder. I have not changed any settings to my knowlege. I
    > am logged on as an administrator. I tried to change the properties on the
    > quick launch folder from read only and when I go back to view if it took, it
    > is back to read only?

    Hello

    Check to see if your taskbar is "Locked", if that's not the case right click
    on the taskbar go to properties, click the start menu tab, then the
    customize button, then the advanced tab, and then in the box directly under
    Control Panel you will see "Enable dragging and dropping" make sure that's
    checked off.

    Michael Ortega

    "RHALL1" <RHALL1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > All of a sudden, I find that I am unable to drag and drop into my quick
    > launch or any other folder. I have not changed any settings to my
    > knowlege. I
    > am logged on as an administrator. I tried to change the properties on the
    > quick launch folder from read only and when I go back to view if it took,
    > it
    > is back to read only?

    Hi, I am having the same problem - cannot drag and drop Taskbar. Twice it has
    migrated on its own. Taskbar is "UNLOCKED" and I tried your suggestion of
    Properties>Start>Advanced - Enable Dragging and Dropping is CHECKED. Could it
    be set in the registry or something. This is driving me crazy. Thanks!

    "Michael Ortega" wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Check to see if your taskbar is "Locked", if that's not the case right click
    > on the taskbar go to properties, click the start menu tab, then the
    > customize button, then the advanced tab, and then in the box directly under
    > Control Panel you will see "Enable dragging and dropping" make sure that's
    > checked off.
    >
    > Michael Ortega
    >
    > "RHALL1" <RHALL1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > All of a sudden, I find that I am unable to drag and drop into my quick
    > > launch or any other folder. I have not changed any settings to my
    > > knowlege. I
    > > am logged on as an administrator. I tried to change the properties on the
    > > quick launch folder from read only and when I go back to view if it took,
    > > it
    > > is back to read only?

    Hello Rosie,

    Try it when the taskbar is locked. Are you trying to drag something into
    the taskbar, or into the start menu, or into your "quick launch" bar?

    Michael Ortega

    "Rosie P." <Rosie P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am having the same problem - cannot drag and drop Taskbar. Twice it
    > has
    > migrated on its own. Taskbar is "UNLOCKED" and I tried your suggestion of
    > Properties>Start>Advanced - Enable Dragging and Dropping is CHECKED. Could
    > it
    > be set in the registry or something. This is driving me crazy. Thanks!
    >
    > "Michael Ortega" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Check to see if your taskbar is "Locked", if that's not the case right
    >> click
    >> on the taskbar go to properties, click the start menu tab, then the
    >> customize button, then the advanced tab, and then in the box directly
    >> under
    >> Control Panel you will see "Enable dragging and dropping" make sure
    >> that's
    >> checked off.
    >>
    >> Michael Ortega
    >>
    >> "RHALL1" <RHALL1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > All of a sudden, I find that I am unable to drag and drop into my quick
    >> > launch or any other folder. I have not changed any settings to my
    >> > knowlege. I
    >> > am logged on as an administrator. I tried to change the properties on
    >> > the
    >> > quick launch folder from read only and when I go back to view if it
    >> > took,
    >> > it
    >> > is back to read only?

  5. download enabledraganddrop.reg and double click it. then restart.
  6. Did you even bother to look at the date of the last post?

Read Only Microsoft Quick Launch Windows XP