Terminal Services for admin not working

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 11, 2005 3:43:33 PM

All of my 2003 servers have started giving me an Event ID: 1008 and are
telling me that my grace period for Terminal Services has expired. I am
therefore, unable to connect for basic admin tasks. I've read on MS
Knowledge Base that this is a known issue with 2003 Server that is supposed
to be addressed in SP2.

Anyway, I've noticed something else that may or may not be related: During
my upgrade to AD last year, I had a "temporary" server running the ADC for
my Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 connection/upgrade. That "temporary"
server was a DC but was demoted and taken offline a long while ago. Anyway,
my current DC is giving me notice that it can't contact the License Logging
Service on that old server named "tempserver."
First of all, could this be contributing to the other non-DC 2003 Servers
giving me the ID: 1008 and whether or not that's the case, why is my DC
still looking for that server and how can I remedy this?

Many thanks,
Mark
April 11, 2005 9:55:12 PM

> The question is do you still have a licensing server and is it active,
> i.e.
> authorised?
>
> --
> Paul Williams

Well, that is a good question :-)

I'll tell you what I know... I only use the "just for admin by one IT dude"
option when I install terminal services - I don't use it for any apps or
clients. I was under the impression that admin by one person was a
licensed/authorized use? My 2000 Servers are running this way just fine.
As for an active, authorized server... Well... Since my DC is looking for
an old DC that no longer exists, I guess my answer would be, "no," but I
never really configured licensing on it. No idea why it's looking for it
:-(

I'm sorry if this isn't making any sense - I've just never had this problem
before upgrading my servers to AD and 2003 Server :-(

Thanks,
Mark
April 12, 2005 12:09:23 AM

You're correct about the remote admin mode on Windows 2000 boxes. However
on Windows 2003 there's no Remote Admin or Application mode --there's only
terminal services -which IS Application mode. To enable Remote Admin, you
right-click on My Computer, choose properties, remote and then allow users
to connect to this computer remotely (just like in Windows XP). You should
uninstall Terminal Services.

> As for an active, authorized server... Well... Since my DC is looking
> for an old DC that no longer exists, I guess my answer would be, "no," but
> I never really configured licensing on it. No idea why it's looking for
> it :-(

We'll come back to this once the above changes have been actioned (or
confirmed).

--
Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/
April 12, 2005 12:09:24 AM

> You're correct about the remote admin mode on Windows 2000 boxes. However
> on Windows 2003 there's no Remote Admin or Application mode --there's only
> terminal services -which IS Application mode. To enable Remote Admin, you
> right-click on My Computer, choose properties, remote and then allow users
> to connect to this computer remotely (just like in Windows XP). You
> should
> uninstall Terminal Services.

Okay - thanks for your help!

Mark