Terminal Services for admin not working

All of my 2003 servers have started giving me an Event ID: 1008 and are
telling me that my grace period for Terminal Services has expired. I am
therefore, unable to connect for basic admin tasks. I've read on MS
Knowledge Base that this is a known issue with 2003 Server that is supposed
to be addressed in SP2.

Anyway, I've noticed something else that may or may not be related: During
my upgrade to AD last year, I had a "temporary" server running the ADC for
my Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 connection/upgrade. That "temporary"
server was a DC but was demoted and taken offline a long while ago. Anyway,
my current DC is giving me notice that it can't contact the License Logging
Service on that old server named "tempserver."
First of all, could this be contributing to the other non-DC 2003 Servers
giving me the ID: 1008 and whether or not that's the case, why is my DC
still looking for that server and how can I remedy this?

Many thanks,
Mark
4 answers Last reply
More about terminal services admin working

    The question is do you still have a licensing server and is it active, i.e.
    authorised?

    --
    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    > The question is do you still have a licensing server and is it active,
    > i.e.
    > authorised?
    >
    > --
    > Paul Williams

    Well, that is a good question :-)

    I'll tell you what I know... I only use the "just for admin by one IT dude"
    option when I install terminal services - I don't use it for any apps or
    clients. I was under the impression that admin by one person was a
    licensed/authorized use? My 2000 Servers are running this way just fine.
    As for an active, authorized server... Well... Since my DC is looking for
    an old DC that no longer exists, I guess my answer would be, "no," but I
    never really configured licensing on it. No idea why it's looking for it
    :-(

    I'm sorry if this isn't making any sense - I've just never had this problem
    before upgrading my servers to AD and 2003 Server :-(

    Thanks,
    Mark

    You're correct about the remote admin mode on Windows 2000 boxes. However
    on Windows 2003 there's no Remote Admin or Application mode --there's only
    terminal services -which IS Application mode. To enable Remote Admin, you
    right-click on My Computer, choose properties, remote and then allow users
    to connect to this computer remotely (just like in Windows XP). You should
    uninstall Terminal Services.

    > As for an active, authorized server... Well... Since my DC is looking
    > for an old DC that no longer exists, I guess my answer would be, "no," but
    > I never really configured licensing on it. No idea why it's looking for
    > it :-(

    We'll come back to this once the above changes have been actioned (or
    confirmed).

    --
    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    > You're correct about the remote admin mode on Windows 2000 boxes. However
    > on Windows 2003 there's no Remote Admin or Application mode --there's only
    > terminal services -which IS Application mode. To enable Remote Admin, you
    > right-click on My Computer, choose properties, remote and then allow users
    > to connect to this computer remotely (just like in Windows XP). You
    > should
    > uninstall Terminal Services.

    Okay - thanks for your help!

    Mark

Terminal Servers Active Directory Windows