NTFS and Linux

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I need some hel;p here about installing linux knoppix into a 10GB partition
NTFS that is. It says it cannot install it because i do not have permissions
to write to the hard drive read only? What is that about I just wanted to
install it over the NTFS drive and put a different fat in there 32 maybe?
Any ideas what that message is and what should i do? Format the drives again
first and how?
I have 2 40GB drives 6they are C< E< G 23.17+10.00+5.12GB & D,
F, H & I [H & I are empty]On C drive is XP Pro & D is 2003 server.
I need to install Linux for school projects.
Thanks for any help
Bruce

---
More about ntfs linux
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Are you logged as an administrator?

    "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I need some hel;p here about installing linux knoppix into a 10GB partition
    >NTFS that is. It says it cannot install it because i do not have
    >permissions to write to the hard drive read only? What is that about I just
    >wanted to install it over the NTFS drive and put a different fat in there
    >32 maybe?
    > Any ideas what that message is and what should i do? Format the drives
    > again first and how?
    > I have 2 40GB drives 6they are C< E< G 23.17+10.00+5.12GB & D,
    > F, H & I [H & I are empty]On C drive is XP Pro & D is 2003 server.
    > I need to install Linux for school projects.
    > Thanks for any help
    > Bruce
    >

    > ---

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Bruce Lawrence wrote:

    > I need some hel;p here about installing linux knoppix into a 10GB
    > partition NTFS that is.

    1) WRONG place to ask! WRONG! :D
    2) Linux kernel does not have NTFS write support loaded by default, and I
    don't blame them. You do NOT want the Linux kernel writing to NTFS.
    Microsoft isn't going to tell anyone how their filesystems work to that
    great a detail anyways....

    > It says it cannot install it because i do not have
    > permissions to write to the hard drive read only? What is that about I
    > just wanted to install it over the NTFS drive and put a different fat in
    > there 32 maybe?

    If you reformat the partition you will lose all data on that partition.

    > Any ideas what that message is and what should i do?

    Yeah, just use Knoppix on CD, or get another hard drive, or find empty space
    somewhere. However, if you have your stuff backed up, you could just wipe
    that 10gb partition over with Linux ...

    > Format the drives again first and how?
    > I have 2 40GB drives 6they are C< E< G 23.17+10.00+5.12GB & D,
    > F, H & I [H & I are empty]On C drive is XP Pro & D is 2003 server.
    > I need to install Linux for school projects.

    Wow! Which school is this? :D

    > Thanks for any help
    > Bruce
    >
    > ---

    The 80's -- when you can't tell hairstyles from chemotherapy.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Must be a new quarter.

    SJ
    "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I need some hel;p here about installing linux knoppix into a 10GB partition
    >NTFS that is. It says it cannot install it because i do not have
    >permissions to write to the hard drive read only? What is that about I just
    >wanted to install it over the NTFS drive and put a different fat in there
    >32 maybe?
    > Any ideas what that message is and what should i do? Format the drives
    > again first and how?
    > I have 2 40GB drives 6they are C< E< G 23.17+10.00+5.12GB & D,
    > F, H & I [H & I are empty]On C drive is XP Pro & D is 2003 server.
    > I need to install Linux for school projects.
    > Thanks for any help
    > Bruce
    >

    > ---

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Read the instructions carefully.
    Buy yourself a book.

    "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:O7jQalQqEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >I need some hel;p here about installing linux knoppix into a 10GB partition
    >NTFS that is. It says it cannot install it because i do not have
    >permissions to write to the hard drive read only? What is that about I just
    >wanted to install it over the NTFS drive and put a different fat in there
    >32 maybe?
    > Any ideas what that message is and what should i do? Format the drives
    > again first and how?
    > I have 2 40GB drives 6they are C< E< G 23.17+10.00+5.12GB & D,
    > F, H & I [H & I are empty]On C drive is XP Pro & D is 2003 server.
    > I need to install Linux for school projects.
    > Thanks for any help
    > Bruce
    >

    > ---

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Knoppix runs from the cd only, cannot be installed
    "Ben" <000@000.000> wrote in message
    > Read the instructions carefully.
    > Buy yourself a book.
    >
    > "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca>
    ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:O7jQalQqEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > >I need some hel;p here about installing linux knoppix into a 10GB
    partition
    > >NTFS that is. It says it cannot install it because i do not have
    > >permissions to write to the hard drive read only? What is that about I
    just
    > >wanted to install it over the NTFS drive and put a different fat in there
    > >32 maybe?
    > > Any ideas what that message is and what should i do? Format the drives
    > > again first and how?
    > > I have 2 40GB drives 6they are C< E< G 23.17+10.00+5.12GB &
    D,
    > > F, H & I [H & I are empty]On C drive is XP Pro & D is 2003 server.
    > > I need to install Linux for school projects.
    > > Thanks for any help
    > > Bruce
    > >

    > > ---

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Actually there is a way to install the Knoppix distribution to the hard
    drive.

    Shoe wrote:
    > Knoppix runs from the cd only, cannot be installed
    > "Ben" <000@000.000> wrote in message
    >
    >>Read the instructions carefully.
    >>Buy yourself a book.
    >>
    >>"Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca>
    >
    > ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:O7jQalQqEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >
    >>>I need some hel;p here about installing linux knoppix into a 10GB
    >
    > partition
    >
    >>>NTFS that is. It says it cannot install it because i do not have
    >>>permissions to write to the hard drive read only? What is that about I
    >
    > just
    >
    >>>wanted to install it over the NTFS drive and put a different fat in there
    >>>32 maybe?
    >>>Any ideas what that message is and what should i do? Format the drives
    >>>again first and how?
    >>>I have 2 40GB drives 6they are C< E< G 23.17+10.00+5.12GB &
    >
    > D,
    >
    >>>F, H & I [H & I are empty]On C drive is XP Pro & D is 2003 server.
    >>>I need to install Linux for school projects.
    >>>Thanks for any help
    >>>Bruce
    >>>

    >>>---

NTFS Microsoft Linux Windows XP