RAID question...

DrSatan316

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
I have 2 SATA I drives right now in RAID 0, is it possible to use them on a new SATA II motherboard keeping all my data?

or would I lose everything thransfering the drives to a new motherboard?

Thanks!

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
It depends if the new mobo has a different chipset(wich I am assuming it does).

If its a different chipset then the way raid 0 is implemented might be different and it will not work. But if its a similar chipset, then there is a little hope that the array may survive the transfer.

If anything prepare for the worst and backup all your important data somewere else.

DrSatan316

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
is there a way to switch the array back to single drives and split the data up on them automatically without transfering all the data to somewhere else, setting the drives back to single drives, then transfering the data back?

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
hmm... might be something like that, but I'm not an expert in raid so I have no clue.

someone else on these forums should know tho.

htredneck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
is there a way to switch the array back to single drives and split the data up on them automatically without transfering all the data to somewhere else, setting the drives back to single drives, then transfering the data back?

I think the answer is NO but don´t quote me. I think that changing the drives to single drives would be the same as reformating them and the info would no longer be there.

TRENDING THREADS