Servers at different site aren't showing up in Network Nei..

Our domain is at Site "A" and we recently set up a couple of servers at Site
"B". There is a firewall-to-firewall VPN between the two sites. The servers
at site "B" can see all of the servers at Site "A" when looking in network
neighborhood, but when someone at site A looks in there network neighborhood,
the servers at site B don't show up.

From both sides, I can ping servers in both networks. I have set up DNS
host records on Site A's domain controller for the servers at Site B. From
site A, if I type in the UNC path of a server at site B, it works.

Why can't I see the servers at site B from a computer in Site A's network
neighborhood listing?
4 answers Last reply
More about servers site aren showing network

    WINS

    Is your firewall blocking wins traffic? Does the remote sites client point
    to a WINS server? Pinging doesn't use NETBIOS so you can ping to your
    hearts content at it won't resolve this issue. Open up your WINS console
    and evaluate the db and I'll bet you don't see a single machine from your
    remote site.

    "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Our domain is at Site "A" and we recently set up a couple of servers at
    Site
    > "B". There is a firewall-to-firewall VPN between the two sites. The
    servers
    > at site "B" can see all of the servers at Site "A" when looking in network
    > neighborhood, but when someone at site A looks in there network
    neighborhood,
    > the servers at site B don't show up.
    >
    > From both sides, I can ping servers in both networks. I have set up DNS
    > host records on Site A's domain controller for the servers at Site B.
    From
    > site A, if I type in the UNC path of a server at site B, it works.
    >
    > Why can't I see the servers at site B from a computer in Site A's network
    > neighborhood listing?

    Okay, I opened the WINS DB and examined it. As you guessed, there wasn't a
    static mapping for the two servers at the remote site. I added a static
    mapping for the two servers, and they still don't show up in Network
    Neighborhood. What ports do I have to have open on the firewalls for WINS to
    go through?

    "Paul Bergson" <pbergson_nospam@allete.com> wrote in message
    > WINS
    >
    > Is your firewall blocking wins traffic? Does the remote sites client
    point
    > to a WINS server? Pinging doesn't use NETBIOS so you can ping to your
    > hearts content at it won't resolve this issue. Open up your WINS console
    > and evaluate the db and I'll bet you don't see a single machine from your
    > remote site.

    Paul is right. It is almost certainly related to WINS Servers.

    BUT since it works from one side and not the other, the
    most likely SPECIFIC issue is that the clients NICs on one
    side are not set to use the WINS server (same WINS database
    actually).

    Remember that in "name resolution contexts" the word CLIENT
    means pretty much EVER MACHINE, including those you
    normally think of as "servers".

    If the "servers" are not WINS clients, they will not register
    themselves in the WINS server database.

    The other major possibility is that you have multiple WINS
    servers that are not replicating to form a single WINS
    database -- but were that your issue, it would likely fail
    similarly on both sides.

    Try port 137

    You can Google on "wins ports" and find additional info

    Remember also do you remote clients have a wins definition, that is
    important as well.

    > Okay, I opened the WINS DB and examined it. As you guessed, there wasn't
    > static mapping for the two servers at the remote site. I added a static
    > mapping for the two servers, and they still don't show up in Network
    > Neighborhood. What ports do I have to have open on the firewalls for WINS
    > go through?
    >
    > "Paul Bergson" wrote:
    >
    > > WINS
    > >
    > > Is your firewall blocking wins traffic? Does the remote sites client
    point
    > > to a WINS server? Pinging doesn't use NETBIOS so you can ping to your
    > > hearts content at it won't resolve this issue. Open up your WINS
    console
    > > and evaluate the db and I'll bet you don't see a single machine from
    your
    > > remote site.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

    rights.

    > > "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Our domain is at Site "A" and we recently set up a couple of servers
    at
    > > Site
    > > > "B". There is a firewall-to-firewall VPN between the two sites. The
    > > servers
    > > > at site "B" can see all of the servers at Site "A" when looking in
    network
    > > > neighborhood, but when someone at site A looks in there network
    > > neighborhood,
    > > > the servers at site B don't show up.
    > > >
    > > > From both sides, I can ping servers in both networks. I have set up
    DNS
    > > > host records on Site A's domain controller for the servers at Site B.
    > > From
    > > > site A, if I type in the UNC path of a server at site B, it works.
    > > >
    > > > Why can't I see the servers at site B from a computer in Site A's
    network
    > > > neighborhood listing?

Firewalls Servers Active Directory Windows