Migrating machines to new domain

I need to migrate 400+ computers from one AD domain to another. A temporary
one way trust will be put in place. Users currently logon to Domain "A" on
their machines. After the machines are migrated to Domain "B" they will need
to start logging on using their Domain "B" account.

As their user accounts already exist on both domains, ADMT will not be used
to migrate their user accounts.

My question is about the local profile on their machine. I am thinking that
once they logon using the Domain "B" account they will be creating a new
profile on the machine! How can I ensure that they use the same profile and
not loose any of their settings (i.e. mapped drivers, printers, exchange
profile, etc.)???

Thanks,
Mike
5 answers Last reply
More about migrating machines domain

    "MikeR" <outriderx@news.postalias> wrote in message
    > I need to migrate 400+ computers from one AD domain to another. A
    temporary
    > one way trust will be put in place.

    Domain A must trust Domain B (destination)

    > Users currently logon to Domain "A" on
    > their machines. After the machines are migrated to Domain "B" they will
    need
    > to start logging on using their Domain "B" account.

    > As their user accounts already exist on both domains, ADMT will not be
    used
    > to migrate their user accounts.

    > My question is about the local profile on their machine. I am thinking
    that
    > once they logon using the Domain "B" account they will be creating a new
    > profile on the machine!

    That is correct.

    It is a DIFFERENT (new) account, so it gets a new profile.

    > How can I ensure that they use the same profile and
    > not loose any of their settings (i.e. mapped drivers, printers, exchange
    > profile, etc.)???

    Migrate the profile with USMT or by hand using XCOPY
    or Backup or some such.

    USMT is better if you need things like Outlook, Outlook
    Express including News, and a wide variety of other things.

    Copying the profiles directly is easy (easier), but may be
    incomplete since some settings and even some data may not
    be "in the profile."

    USMT = User State Migration Tool (download from MS site.)

    Thanks for the reply Herb. I am aware of USMT and have used it in the past.
    The best way I found with NT 4.0 a while back was a reg hack to actually
    point the new logon to the old profile. I was hoping to find something like
    this for XP.

    I was also hoping to hear from MS that ADMT will take care of the profile if
    you migrate both the machine and user account using ADMT.

    > Thanks for the reply Herb. I am aware of USMT and have used it in the
    past.
    > The best way I found with NT 4.0 a while back was a reg hack to actually
    > point the new logon to the old profile. I was hoping to find something
    like
    > this for XP.

    The issue is the same for XP, but you have NEW
    accounts. Were you merely upgrading you would
    not have such issues as profiles would move forward.

    Because you are migrating you are creating new profiles.

    You may simple use a rename technique -- rename current
    profile; have user log onto new domain.

    Rename 'new' (default) profile and then rename the old
    profile to that name.

    > I was also hoping to hear from MS that ADMT will take care of the profile
    if
    > you migrate both the machine and user account using ADMT.

    > > "MikeR" <outriderx@news.postalias> wrote in message
    > > > I need to migrate 400+ computers from one AD domain to another. A
    > > temporary
    > > > one way trust will be put in place.
    > >
    > > Domain A must trust Domain B (destination)
    > >
    > > > Users currently logon to Domain "A" on
    > > > their machines. After the machines are migrated to Domain "B" they
    will
    > > need
    > > > to start logging on using their Domain "B" account.
    > >

    > > > As their user accounts already exist on both domains, ADMT will not be
    > > used
    > > > to migrate their user accounts.
    > >
    > > > My question is about the local profile on their machine. I am thinking
    > > that
    > > > once they logon using the Domain "B" account they will be creating a
    new
    > > > profile on the machine!
    > >
    > > That is correct.
    > >
    > > It is a DIFFERENT (new) account, so it gets a new profile.
    > >
    > > > How can I ensure that they use the same profile and
    > > > not loose any of their settings (i.e. mapped drivers, printers,
    exchange
    > > > profile, etc.)???
    > >
    > > Migrate the profile with USMT or by hand using XCOPY
    > > or Backup or some such.
    > >
    > > USMT is better if you need things like Outlook, Outlook
    > > Express including News, and a wide variety of other things.
    > >
    > > Copying the profiles directly is easy (easier), but may be
    > > incomplete since some settings and even some data may not
    > > be "in the profile."
    > >
    > > USMT = User State Migration Tool (download from MS site.)

    Hi,

    Thanks for posting!

    Based on the scenario, I agree with Herb. Additionally, I would like to
    provide you with some more information for your reference:

    1. Using Moveuser.exe: Move User
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techre
    f/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techre
    f/en-us/moveuser.asp

    2. Copy the user profile
    =========================
    If manually copying profile is acceptable, you can use the Copy to function
    to copy the local profile to domain user profile. Please use the following
    steps:

    1. Log the user onto the new domain once to create the his/her user
    profile and to add the path to it in the ProfilesList registry key
    2. Log off as the user and log in as an administrator
    3. Copy the user's profile
    4. Right click on My Computer and go to Profiles
    5. Once in Profiles, use "Copy To," to copy the original profile to the
    new profile's path. Also, use "Permitted to Use," to give the new user
    account permission to use the copied profile.
    6. Log off as the administrator and logon as the user

    Note: You may find the copy to button is grayed out. If so, please refer to
    the following article:

    291555 The "Copy To" Button in the System Properties Dialog Box Is
    Unavailable
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291555

    Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    "Jason Tan (MSFT)" <v-jasont@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for posting!
    >
    > Based on the scenario, I agree with Herb. Additionally, I would like to
    > provide you with some more information for your reference:
    >
    > 1. Using Moveuser.exe: Move User

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techre

    f/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techre
    > f/en-us/moveuser.asp
    >
    > 2. Copy the user profile
    > =========================
    > If manually copying profile is acceptable, you can use the Copy to
    function
    > to copy the local profile to domain user profile. Please use the following
    > steps:
    >
    > 1. Log the user onto the new domain once to create the his/her user
    > profile and to add the path to it in the ProfilesList registry key
    > 2. Log off as the user and log in as an administrator
    > 3. Copy the user's profile
    > 4. Right click on My Computer and go to Profiles
    > 5. Once in Profiles, use "Copy To," to copy the original profile to the
    > new profile's path. Also, use "Permitted to Use," to give the new user
    > account permission to use the copied profile.
    > 6. Log off as the administrator and logon as the user

    I would strongly suggest copying profiles using XCOPY
    rather than Windows Explorer, by doing so the permissions
    (if useful) and file attributes can be copied, errors can be
    skipped (continue on error), and a log can be created.

    xcopy /c /k /s /h /v /o SRC DEST 1>C:\xc.txt 2>&1

    If using the same hardware, rename can also be useful.

    > Note: You may find the copy to button is grayed out. If so, please refer
    > the following article:
    >
    > 291555 The "Copy To" Button in the System Properties Dialog Box Is
    > Unavailable
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291555
    >
    > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
    > feel free to let me know.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Jason Tan
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    rights.

Migrate Domain User Accounts Active Directory Windows